Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Vegetable Gardening

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Niranjana:

I live in New York. If you have any suggestions to new york residents please share it with us in this thread.

KZ

I planted Pavakkai couple of times. Five years ago I got totally five pavakkais. next two years I planted and had to go to India. I had some body watering my garden but no body to take care of my plants. so no yield. this year i planted some and i see the buds. I will let you know if I get any thing.

Aathirai

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea where we can get Tulsi in Boston or Connecticut

PRiya

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with your local Hindu temple. I got mine from Bridge water temple.
    Aathirai

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Thread

Aathirai, I live in Ireland though it does get cold in winter the temperature never really goes down below -5 or goes up beyond 25-26 deg C!

I generally grow mustard, fenugreek (Vendhayam), mint, corriander, etc. - easy to grow varieties

I've planted pavakkai, peerkangai, vendaikai, melon, tomato, chilli, pumpkin (again easy to grow), keerai varieties including manathakali and pulicha keerai, lettuce, basil (the herb variety), onion and garlic!

Mint died during last winter and came up by itself this summer. I've heard that mint is like a weed and takes over the garden if you leave it on the ground! Manathakali keeri sort of went dull but is still alive and back to it's normal self now.

Green chillies are easy to grow in the window box.

I've found that it is easy to put the seeds in a pot and leave it in the green house in March and then plant it in the ground in April when the weather is better (if required still use the green house around it)

I had beetroot, lettuce, Spinach, broad beans and cabbage last year as well.

If you have loads of space in your garden, decide what plants you want to plant in what area. Dig it well in September, turn the soil over, add compost and turn it over again before adding the seeds or plants.

Don't over crowd the garden, leave ample space and water them regulary. Add compost and plant food regularly as well.

If you are growing in pots, change compost on a regular basis!

As for flowers I have balsam, andhi mandharai, jaathi malli, shoe flower, etc.

Andhi mandharai and balsam seem to grow well in summer, I have left them outside on the ground though! They come up quite easily Jaathi malli is outside and if you water it well and add enough plant food it blooms very well. My shoe flower plant nearly died last year because I left it outside, but it seems to have come back up though!

PS: My Tulsi grows very well indoors

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Anoushka..you have a very good interest in gardening.

I planted pumpkin and came out nicely, but all of a sudden, the growth is becoming dull! Can u tell me why?

I put plant food once in a week and the temperature is also like in 90s and water regularly. Where did I go wrong?

Abt onion, I have some and which is the right time to remove? Now, the flowers has started blooming on the top. Now is the time to take out?

Take yr time and reply me..bye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R
    Wow, Anoushka..you have a very good interest in gardening.

I planted pumpkin and came out nicely, but all of a sudden, the growth is becoming dull! Can u tell me why?

I put plant food once in a week and the temperature is also like in 90s and water regularly. Where did I go wrong?

Abt onion, I have some and which is the right time to remove? Now, the flowers has started blooming on the top. Now is the time to take out?

Take yr time and reply me..bye
    R: Thanks

I am not sure why there is a problem with your pumpkin Is there enough space for it to grow. My pumpkin did not grow beyond a certain stage in a pot and it was happy when I planted it on the ground! Ofcourse I had to save it from the slugs! Is your ground soft or hard?

And as for onions, I am always in a hurry and pull it out when ever I need springonions for my kitchen, I don't wait for it to grow fully! I guess your onions should be ready now though! Always you can try pulling out one and checking.

PS: Did you know you can make lovely "keerai" dish out of your onion leaves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anoushka

Thank you for your reply. I do have Keerai ( arai keerai, siru keerai and Thandu keerai) in my garden.
    I have a question about Green chili in window box. I tried it once. I didnt get any thing. can you please tell me how to grow green chilies. also I have egg plant this year. do you have any suggestions for high yield
    Thanks
    Aathirai

Post Thanks / Like
    Aathirai - this is what I do for green chillies.

I fill one of those long pots with normal compost (there are loads of different varieties of this if you have noticed) and add a packet of seed to it and water it just enough to germinate and leave it in a place where it is warm and where it gets enough sunlight!

Once it germinates, I replant it so that there is enough space between plants.

As for egg plant, I am sorry as I have no info on them. My hubby dear hates any type of eggplant/brinjal/aubergine so I don't grow them at home at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anoushka
    Thanks for the info on chilis. I will try next year.

you are right mint is like weed. you cant control easily. 5 years ago when we bought the house, i bought a bunch of mint from indian stores and took all the leaves i want for cooking and planted the rest in my garden. It is growing every year. I take out leaves every other week. It is growing very well. I even freezing some for winter.

Aathirai

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aathirai,
    Great that u got some pavakkais, i will try next yr. do let me know how they are doing for this summer. did u grow in pots? did u put some stake for the climbers?
    I got some thai chilli plant and the chillies are great. little hot than the store bought green chilles. do u have land to grow or just container gardening?

Kz

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast