Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any John Williams Fans here?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Any John Williams Fans here?

Topic started by Shashi (@ eed02990.mayo.edu) on Fri May 7 17:10:11 EDT 1999.

This posting is for all the John Williams' fans. There is a transcript of his chat on Starwars homepage, dated may 6th 1999.

For a change, it is nice to read to a rather candid chat (unlike the esoteric, hard to decipher answers of IR) from a great composer. Its nice to have a perspective, once in a while!!

Interestingly, he mentions that he has used "Sanskrit Chorus/Recitation" in the BGM to increase the mystical intensity of the movie--Phantom Menace.

The site is http://starwars.talkcity.com/starwar...s/5-6-99.htmpl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Mukund (@ bart*) on: Fri May 7 17:58:54 EDT 1999

Hi Shashi,

Very good interview indeed. !! I have been following for a just last few months, the music of JW and Hans Zimmer. Recently when I saw Prince of Egypt, I was thoroughly impressed by the music of HZ. Very classical and IR like.

And you are right about those convoluted answers we hear from IR every time. Of course, with ARR we don't hear much except "God is great". It is nice to be down-to-earth atleast once in a while. (like SPB ??)

But did you read the latest column "en paarvaiyil' that IR is writing on AV ?? I love it - He seems to open up more on things other than music.

BTW, JW also seems to start everything from a pen & paper and seems to improvise on it later. So what is the difference between his approach and our own IR ?? Does IR even improvises on Pen and paper ??
    More inputs on the "theoretical approach" !!

Mukund

Post Thanks / Like

Shashi (@ eed0*) on: Fri May 7 18:17:54 EDT 1999

Hi Mukund

I have not yet had a chance to read "en paarvaiyil" by Raja. Would do that soon. Thanks for the info.

I think that although JW says all compositions from him starts from a pen & paper, he actually means that the instrumentalists in the orchestra have no individual input on his creation.

If he admits to taking 3-4 months for the project, I guess, he sits with a synth/piano and a pen/paper to start; watches the movie clip numerous times; comes up with a score; constantly polishes it to its final state before making the final notes for the London Symphony Orchestra--assigns the appropriate notes to each instrumentalist and records finally.

Since, nobody questioned as to how many times he changes/polishes/overdoes/modifies his creation till final recording(till he is satisfied)--it is anybody's guess!!

But, isn't it interesting that JW takes a solid 3-4 months for just a BGM score! I guess, that is what he precisely means when he says it is hardwork 6 days/week. I really admire the sincerity with which these guys work.

Post Thanks / Like

Mukund (@ bart*) on: Fri May 7 18:57:23 EDT 1999

Hi Shashi,

Guess you are right. The sincerity is something that you have to really appreciate. Things are different here. simplicity - I mean "eLimai" has its own disadvantages too - and compromises for the sake of money economy leads to unprofessionalism back home.

BTW, do you remember the movies which have JW's music ??

Mukund

Post Thanks / Like

Shankar (@ webg*) on: Sat May 8 00:50:08 EDT 1999

Mukund,

Jurassic park, Lost world, star wars series, Jaws, towering inferno,amistad,Indiana jones,7 years in tibet , JFK, Home alone ,Hook, ET, Dracula, close encounters of the third kind, The cowboys, How to steal a million, Nixon, sabrina ,Always , schindler's list and saving private ryan.

AT present I can recollect only these. Will let u know when they occur.

and among these the best ones are JP,Jaws, Always, Amistad, Schindler's list.

Post Thanks / Like

Shankar (@ webg*) on: Sat May 8 00:51:35 EDT 1999

Sashi,
    the forum hub is a more appropriate place for this kind of discussion.

We can start the thread under International music or continue in the MDs of hollywood thread.

Post Thanks / Like

bb (@ bern*) on: Sat May 8 02:06:09

some of his best scores apart from what shankar mentioned: stepmom, sleepers, far and away, indiana jones series, born on 4th of july, several superman series...

one point where we can start off discussion is comparing his wonderful score for 7 years in tibet with philip glass' equally wonderful score for kundun. both deal with tibet, are highly challenging and have brought out their best.

Post Thanks / Like

bb (@ comp*) on: Sat May 8 03:48:07

another interesting thing in the interview is that JW attributes the chorus part to lucas, he doesn't even say for sure if it will be in future star wars films.. i wonder if we have so much input from a director to MD,and whether the MDs appreciate it, especially the likes of IR and ARR

Post Thanks / Like

Shankar (@ webg*) on: Sat May 8 06:06:00

ooppssss....How did i miss far and away.In my cassette (Best of John Williams) it's the second best piece (next to jurassic park end credits).

thnx bb for pointing that out. Is stepmom worth having in one's collection ???

Post Thanks / Like

SRK (@ nova*) on: Sat May 8 13:30:30

Basically, JW is the MD for all Stven Spielberg movies.

But his BGM for the Indiana Jones series is ordinary at best. Guess its not good enough inspiration.

I loved his BGM for Shindler's List - really touching theme music.

He is also a great player of the classical guitar. I have a collection of guitar pieces played b him - he's simply superb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast