Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anniyan - Patriotism

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anniyan takes revenge of a fictitious brake manufacturing company CEO. Who will take revenge against the real Union carbide CEO, who is living scot-free elsewhere? Anniyan won't get infurited for this either. You may argue that this (Union carbide) is also a figment of my imagination. Not kill, atleast mark a protest? No. I have no UN statistics about this, but this incident, people say, happened atleast in the vicinity of India. As the old saying goes, if you do a crime do it big, not silly. May be this the inner meaning of Anniyan. I have been watching all of Shankar's movie. He seem to ridicule "certain Indians" and always praise the foreigners and "certain other Indians". You are here justifying it. I am not a anti-Shankar. After all, I have watched Indian and Muthalvan umpteen times. I liked those movies for their script and making, if not for thier conent. But, Anniyan stands out as crap in all these departments, no doubt. If he thinks using some tongue twisters like MPD would appease today's tamil audience, he is at mistake. Tamil Nadu is now home to some bright techies, docs and entrepreneurs, with his movies themselves being discussed in wikis and blogs. Either he should grow up or we should go down for his next movie!

Anyways watch Anniyan, make it a hit and let Shankar come up with more such intelligent efforts. May be I will go for a second show and help the cause!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    all those who think India is doing bad please read this.....

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1160519.cms

see, agreed many ppl. live under poverty line and a very few are ambanis in India but u have to understand that India is transforming from "Mixed Economy" to "Capitalist Economy".....this transforamtion will have its ill-effects too.......esp in poulation like this, it is bound to have bad effects......India will bcome a heavily lopsided economy in the future....so we need good govts who can channelise these resources to poor as well.......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Member Junior Hubber UnlimtedMeals's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru,

Good point! I wonder when it will become easy for Indians to hold these giants accountable

Ganesh79,

I agree with Union carbide incident. It is very sad and the apathy shown by the parent company now is so sickening. Most sad thing is the way in which the victims are living their lives. They are bening victimised even more by the bueuacracy of the Indian government which has eaten up all their aid and has still not given away some of the aid due to deep red-tapism. Bashing Shankar for not making that a movie material is wrong. Shankar tried to show in Anniyan how we all could be responsible citizens and help keep pour roads clean, have respect for rules and value humans and human life. Are you going to disagree on any of these? However developed we are, I think in the cities some people lack any kind of civil sense!

Maddy,

Accepted with your point too. We need a good govt. More than that I think we need good citizenry. You and me have to be good citizens, pay taxes, abide the civil law, promote responsibility and awareness, directly or indirectly help our economy(directly by being a responsible consumer and indirectly by way of NRI investments). We can definitely pat ourselves for all our achievements today. Nothing wrong. But my call is that let us not turn a blind eye in the name of patriotism to all the problems that are plaguing our nation today. And least of all, let us be reasonable towards a film-maker who showed how we can do things that are even in trivial ways helpful to establish a good society!

In fact Shankar did not even ask of our citizens to throw away our riches and interest and clean the "drainage". In our every day life, he wants us to be law abiding citizens(like paying stamp fees for land registration, following traffic rules). We are not doing a favor to our country by doing these. It is our duty and nothing less than that.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Developed countries? This is just a myth. No country has developed in right moral way. Every developed country plundered, killed, cheated several other countries (including India) to reach this status. You call this a development. I would prefer to remain as we are than to qualify in this "benchmark".

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

annoying

the reasons for killing is simply absurd in anniyan
    INDIAN is hit becoz the reason for killing is so wonderfully described especilly in one scene using manorama.infact we would get a feeling that we should kill him.
    but in anniyan killing the people who are somberi(charli)is really annoying to see.instead of anger we feel sorry for the persons killed(even hitler wont do it).if that is right vikram can also be killed for being dhathi.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sub-Saharan African republics put together have attracted more sympathy, FDI, food, arms and aid than India for being honest about their weaknesses. Their output too is rising faster.

South Africa accounts for one-third of African factory output while Nigeria accounts for one-third of African farm output.

Check out the real ranks of economies.
    http://www.worldbank.org/data/databytopic/GDP.pdf

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shankar's facts are correct but his interpretations, rationale and solutions are incorrect. For instance, he was correct in saying Malaysia was poorer than India as late as the seventies.

Now, Malay wages are atleast 7 times that of India and 20% above Russia - the former superpower. This dramatic rise did not happen bcoz Malays suddenly became smarter and ambitious. It was mostly one man's dream - Mahathir. He provided vigorous leadership to this multicultural society. An oral contract seems to persist between the competing races. Bhoomiputras take over polity while Orientals take over economy. Such leadership was missing in other Malay republics - Philippines and Indonesia.

Incidentally, the richest Tamil in the world lives probably in Malaysia (not TN).

Shankar effectively demonstrated in Anniyan that violence is the best way to resolve national ills. His heroes deploy Saudi-style summary executions that are nauseating and escapist instead of talking about the benefits of vocational education that moves millions from farms to factories.

Member Junior Hubber UnlimtedMeals's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also clearly mentions that it is because of the fact that nobody would kill for spitting on the road or trashing public places that people do such petty things with nonchalance and disregard for civic amity.

Ganesh79,
    It is true that the developed countries all plundered the now underdeveloped countries to reach where they are. In fact this is discussed as the now famous 'Lifeboat' Ethics.

But countries like Malaysia and singapore dont qualify in your point. Malaysia if for anything, was invaded by our very own Indian(south indian) kings. And this is to those freaks who go on saying India never invaded other countries. South indian kings have invaded all over south -east asia and the Angkor-Vat temple chronicles some of these plunderinsg I think.

If you want to say ineffective things like 'I am happy where we are' in the name of sentiment (that we typically see in tamil films) nobody stops you. But that does not make your and my country any better than what it is today nor will such an attitude go in any way towards alleviating our problems.

People like you should first be open-minded and see what is happening in our country rather than pointing fingers at other nations. After all these posts I have diminishing hope that you will come out of your denial. I dont have problems if you do or do not. I am concenrned about the million other youth in our country that need to acknowledge our problems and work towards its riddance.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Anniyan is just waste of time because we are good humans.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    crab......India is a huge economy.....Malaysia does not list anywhere near to India.......Malaysia has better civic infrastructure,better health conditions but that doesent make it bigger than India.....INDIA IS HUGE, my dear.....infact Indian economy is bigger than Germany,Japan and Italy-g8 countries.....

unlimited meals, do u have any gud point abt India and indians????shankar thappunnu sollita adha appadiye follow panringa......India has the largest BPO industry in the world and fastest growing IT industry in the world- do u know that????y dunt u give credit to them....even in tsunami case our CM did a commendable job in rehabilitation work whereas Srilanka just struggled with their work.....come on guys, dunt paint the picture so black......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast