Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appam without yeast

Member Junior Hubber riceandbeans's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Appam without yeast

My husband has to avoid yeast so I am looking for a Pallapam recipe without it. Can anyone help? TIA.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put a pinch or two of eating soda 5 minutes before you make appams to the batter and mix well.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    riceandbeans..
    when u say avoid yeast did u mean any yeast or the store bought yeast.??

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

forumnri.com

Forumnri.com

Post Thanks / Like
    napolims445

The store bought yeast Intant Active Dry, Rapid rise or cake yeast used for fermentation of breads. In India people usually use toddy but I don't have access to it where I live so I am looking for alternatives to make appam with any other fermentation agent.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    riceandbeans,
    I dont know if u r aware of....but u can make all these idlis, dosas, etc without adding any synthetic store bought yeast.
    I do not add and have never added any such store bought yeast to appam, idli, dosa etc.
    After grinding I just mix the batter with salt and mix with hand(ofcourse clean hands) because ur hands heat and bacteria(dont worry- those bacteria are not harmful but they are present in hands) are enough to activate the production of yeast in the batter.
    So this time after u grind the appam batter add salt and mix it with hand and close tightly and allow it to ferment(by keeping it in a dark corner may be like oven-but do not switch the oven on.
    )
    what i do is after mixing it with salt by hands close it tightly with cover and i wrap in a towel and keep it in oven- in summer it ferments overnight but in winters it takes 12-24 hours to ferment and rise.

and believe me its not a compromise in taste. Its more tastier -this is what i have heard from people who use yeast who ate our idlis/dosas/appams with no synthetic or external yeast.
    The fermentation process induces yeast production when kept in a dark and warm area of house.
    Hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for all the info. I will surely try it out.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi rice & beans
    you can prepare pallappam by adding a little bit of ground coconut instead of yeast. at home they used to prepare it using coconut toddy but here you can do it with coconut paste.

http://enveetusamayal.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    would you be able to provide a recipe with exact measurements. I have tried inumerous recipes without yeast as per many people's instructions and in the end the batter ferments beautifully but it doesn't bind and ends up looking like an omelet.

Another question is does bottled toddy work fine to make the appams??? Because if so I have access to bottled toddy and I would love to try it out with a more precise recipe.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi r&b,

My Mom used to make fluffy appams without using yeast... She adds a handful of leftover rice soaked in water overnight & the water used to soak the rice...This is ground along with rice & a few dhals... I don't know the exact measurements... If U r interested,I can get it for U...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast