Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: anything under the sun that's related to sports.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

anything under the sun that's related to sports.

my favourites are Marco Van Basten , ROBERTO BAGGIO and RUUd GULLIT

started watching football first in 1990

so can make out the difference between present day players and those of yesteryears.

i feel 'mottai' RONALDO or anyone presently playing, for that matter, can never match the pony tailed italian or the gifted dutchmen.

among the present day players i like christiano ronaldo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    no idea abt the current scene. I stopped watching from '94 onwards.
    The only coverage of the Dutch in India were the European Cup '88 and Italia-90. Then again, the Dutch crap in major tournaments, something they have been doing since 1974(Euro 88 the solitary exception)

Post Thanks / Like
    My fav's have been - Pele, Paolo Rossi, Kevin Keegan, Gary Lineker, Ronaldo, Gullit and Baggio, of course! Don't watch much nowadays..

Post Thanks / Like
    kevin keegan never played in a world cup, did he?
    paolo rossi was nearly banned for life in a betting scandal in 79. the 82 world cup saved his fortunes. and after that he virtually disappeared. Most world cup heroes have been one time wonders.

Post Thanks / Like
    walrus,

don't know if kevin keegan played or not, but i thought he did! Anyway, i liked his style ..

Rossi, yeah, disappeared without trace after the world cup, but i thought he was great at that time

There's another who polayed in 1990 world cup,. representing England, Paul Gascoine, hot tempered fellow but played well.. just remembered his name as I was typing .... Can still remember how he broke down when his team lost in penalty in 1990 ...

Post Thanks / Like
    he wasnt hot tempered at all. he was definitely more consistent compared to Rossi and Schillachi
    He was crying after the redcard in the semifinal which meant he wouldnt play in the match for Third Place.
    Peter Shilton was my favorite. The goal that Baggio scored against him in his last match was clearly offside.
    I enjoyed the Eng-Cameroon game - the funniest moment was when Cameroon celebrated their 2nd goal near the corner kick flag-their goalkeeper could be spotted lying in the middle of the human pile, he had come running all the way from the other end

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My all time favourite is Roberto Baggio. Cant forget the 90 world cup when he came up as a 23 year old kid and stole the show.. Though Italy was riding upon Salvatore Schillaci's goal spree, baggio caught the soccer world by aww... I have a a couple of great goals by him in the 94 world cup taped... The one thing I couldnt take was his missed penalty in the 94 world cup and when he was not selected for the national team in the 2002 world cup even after playing well in Serie A that season.. I wouldnt say that he's the best footballer, but he definitely was my favourite... Here's an interesting site by a baggio fan www.pro-paul.net

Paul gascoigne was called gazza in england.. I dont think he was a great.. he played for middlesboro but as usual England just over-rated him. List of my other favourite players include Platini, Lothar Matheus, Paolo Maldini, Oliver bierhoff, Maradano and Haji..

Senior Member Senior Hubber malligai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

I very rarely watch ball games...But i do ocassionaly watch Basketball...that too, only when Michael Jordan is in the game...

Chengalvarayan,

I like ur avatar...i have the same Murugar pic at home..

M
    --------
    Denver Nuggets

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm.. Kundrathile kumaranukku kondaatam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru,
    Thanks for the link.
    U're rite' - England over-rated Gazza - I was in the Uk at that time, and remember very well the celebration after..
    Oh! Yes, Platini & Matheus....how can I forget them .
    Maradona - hmm..he was a good footballer but sad to see what has happened to him now!

Walrus,
    I remember that scene....eng-cam game....that's one of the reasons why I can't seem to forget that 1990 WC..and of course...Baggio!! just like i won't forgett Matt Biondi and his superb performance in the olympics!

Malligai..YES!!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast