Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Etymology

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear solomon,

It would have been better if you have added the roots of the sanskrit words that you mentioned the root of the English words.

Maxmuller did the same work what you did but he didn't look into the roots of the sanskrit words. Galduwell did it. And many North Indian historians are also doing it.

When man led forest life he saw the things in earth of stationery and moving objects, named it through 'suttu oligal'. And from that base /root 'oru porut kilavikal' (same meaning words) formulated.

Then he observed objects of same size of things and numbered. They are tamil numbers name.

Then he saw celestial bodies observed and found the names of what sanskrit numbers meant. For the same celestial bodies ancient tamil words also available.

If you observe the sanskrit no.s you can find all numbers specifies certain celestial bodies moving in the distance one by one
    as the sanskrit no. followed.

But on the whole the roots of the sanskrit no.s lies in the 'distance'
    and equivalent words / roots of 'distance'.

Let us take one by one.

Asthami - Aththam - Aththu in tamil means 'ellai' (measured by distance). Lot of 'kilavis' of same meaning available in tamil. AththuMeeri, Aththi,Aththan,Aththai are some of them.

Navami - Avam turned navam. 'Avam' means third person which is out of I and II person. It also specifies the distance in nature.

Sapthami - Saththam - means 'tholaivu' - saththu is the root.
    'Vandi saththam' is measured depending on 'tholaivu'. A sound which reaches some distance is identified depending upon its distance and so 'Saththam'.

Dasami- Thayami

Ay - Ayavu means Broad / Breadth
    Ay-Thai- Thayavu - Broad minded - Thayai - Thasai an expansion of length

Thasai turned 'Das'-Dasami.

Mr.Soloman 'Root words research' is not as you specified in some other column as 'funny'.

Comtemporary meaning, Suttu oligal, Oru porul Kilavikal makes the languages meaningful and this research is followed by all historians of all times.

Simply you cannot claim this words sounds like this- That forms the root- approach.

So far Archelogical proofs also matched with the Antiquity of words and that ceritification is enough.

I can challenge you that I can give roots of all sanskrit words which are lying with tamil.

At the sametime you cannot give / find a single ancient words of tamil has root in sanskrit. If you give I can welcome it.

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ETYMOLOGY AND MYTHS.

Breaking of words, and finding meanings to spread hates is not a new job, Bible Old Testament' Genesis, dated to 300BCE, uses it, once to Praise- Jacob and aother to hate, similarly for words Betheba , edom etc., and these False Techniques called by Biblical Scholars as Etymoligical Myths to date the book to its date and also its foolishness.

For others I take COMPUTER again- COmputer Processes Datas fed- i.e., Kanithal of Puguthiya Tharavugal = KA+ Pu+thar = Computer
    sounds interesting to hear, but when we realise the entire thing is foolish.

Now if U say- A came form B , you need to prove When ? How? Why? and Prove it.
    The same words take different meanings over period of time; e.g. * Edited *

Now You need to Prove Your Jibbs were correct with how and when with appropriate Periodic reference and for even amatures your above roots given were meaningless and unwanted waste of time. Agains when we Translate a new word, we try an equivalent- Example- Parliament as Paralumandram, we all know Par means World and even Nadalu is wrong rather Makkal Prethinithigal sabai is ideal, but Dubbing of words is always practiced and hence it is much more easy, for People with hobby of Cross word Puzzle and breaking words to manipulate anything.
    Idiayappam- Sanskrit was said as Mother of Greek and LAtin, which by European pride, made Maxmuller 50 years research to call it Elder Sister.
    MOsesMohammedSolomon

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    * deleted *

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Etymology

Dear Solomon,

Mr. Querida started this thread to find the etymology of English words.

Your comment on Latin language is simply childish.

If any sanskrit words are there as roots of English mention it here. Other 'dubious' (as you always say in your passages) statements can be avoided here and put it on 'Tamil is elder to Sanskrit' Thread for healthy discussion.

Liguistic research is the best solution to find out world history. It accumulates archeology,inscriptions,literature and all forms of history research. That is why world scholars follow linguistics.

Tamil was natural language and the coining of words done naturally and not as archestrated way. Some of the new words are produced in accordance with the roots of yesteryears to solve the present purpose that too after Indian independance. This include Political and scientific terms.

Regarding my root words You made comment about 'Computer'.
    It really look funny and readers also notify on that.

"Thoonkupavanai Ezhuppalaam- Aanaal Thoonkupavanai Pola Nadippavanai Ezhuppa Mudiyuma ?"

I have already revealed quoting several sources about the root words. This is enough. If you want to refute my views give your proofs since you call all our proofs 'dubious' (refelects your dubious nature)

However here I give my views in reply to your views.

Paraalumantram and Naadaalumantram have same meaning.

Para is root for 'Paar'. Para,parappu, paravai(Kadal). Parravai(Bird), Paar(ulakam) all refers to 'area' as a core and lot of 'kilavikal' same meaning words are there in tamil vocubulary.

Naadu - also means 'paravu' - 'Alai'(roam).'Naft' - an english word came from this root and this was revealed by me in the thread 'Some tamil words in world languages column'.

Ancient 'Enperaayam' & 'Kuzhu' were called 'Aalumantram'. Aalvinai, Aatchi are from root 'Aal'.

Hence the above words are much fittable. Sanskrit 'Lok shaba' & Rajya shaba have same meaning. Lok-lokam-from ulagam.

Raj-Raja- from arasa. Rather, 'makkal avai' & mel avai' also more fittable.

Your 'Makkal prathnithuva sabhai' can be understandable by tamil people only by the word Makkal. If you remove that nobody will understand.

Your forefathers did the same kind of 'myth' in 'Unarchi Pravakam' type of words / phrases.

Your forefather 'Sathyamuthy' time 'Maha Janankalae. Mahanupavarkalae' type was beautifully replaced by 'Periyorkalae and Thaaimarkalae' made you angry and talk about such things as you put it in your passage.

Computer- I give the roots. Compute means calculate.

Latin - Con-putare

Latin existed during 200 B.C. Historically there was connection between Tamil 'Musiri' port and Meditarannian sea countries.

Is there any 'Kilavikal'(same meaning words) in latin from the same root ? No.

Come to tamil. Compare 'Kaanpathu'- means 'parpathu', 'Arivathu'
    'Kanakkiduvathu'

'Kan' is the root which specifies 'eye'.

'Kanakku' is from this root. 'Kaniththal' is from this root. We have finished comparing 'kilavikal'.

Hence we claim it is tamil root.

It requires some logic and reasoning and that followed by linguistics. Mr. Solomon I don't want to sum up about your logic and reasoning.

Whether 'drunkards' or 'Poets' the assembling of persons is called 'Kalzakam' and this gives the same meaning. Not different meaning.

One word may have slightly differ in meaning depending upon situations. But the core meaning is the same. We should have some deep thinking into that. Not like Mr.Soloman's " Nunipul Mayara maathiri".

I give one English word to solve this purpose.

Take 'conceive'- it means think as well as Pregnancy.

First instance the meaning seems to be different. But if we try to go deeply we find 'Product' is the common meaning.

When you think you produce something.

When you conceive you produce something.

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Queri,
    Don't u think it is time to chage to the title to ' In-depth Etymology' rather than 'Armatuer Etymology'

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :P yeah tomato...good idea...the only reason Miss Querida used amateur in her title was to keep it that way....just short simple entries people for interest sake

Post Thanks / Like

ETYMOLOGY

The English Words
    Anchor is from tamil Nangooram
    Jinger is from Ingi ver of Tamil , as root is the item we use.

FSG- You have been putting your misunderstood falsehoods as Truths and again you unwantdly attack me on my Latin comments, which is the Truth. Sir William Jones in 18th Cen wrote- The Sanskrit Language.... whatever be its antiquity, more perfect than the Greek, more copius than Latin and more exquisitly refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a Stronger affinity both in the roots and in the form of Grammer, than could possibly have been produced by accident, so strong indeed, that no Philologist could examine all Thre, without believing them to have sprung from some common source, which perhaps no longer exists.

I have proved beyond doubt, that the Biggest Anti-Tamilar but BIG hYpocrite Devaneyan had to agree that Tholkappiyam, to entire Tamil Literature clearly refers Vedas and Sanskrit Literature, and we do not have any Tamil Literature, without the backup of Vedas and Maxmuller took the duty to try to Backdate Vedas and to stop the Idea, Sanskrit as mother of Latin and Greek , which he changed as Elder SIster and this I QUOTE with Blavatsky the founder of Thesophical Society- "Inflectional Spech: the root of the Sanskrit, very erroneously called the "elder sister" of the Greek, instead of its mother- was the first language, now the mystery tongue of the Intiates, othe Fifth Race. The "Semitic " languages are the Bastard descendants of the First Phonetic corruption of the eldest children of the early Sanskrit"- Secret Doctrine. Vol-3 PG 205.
    Friends, if I am taking little extra page, because the Falsehood spread in India- in particularly Tamilnadu has become a Poison in Milk Tank and you can click my views and how after every posting others have changed and diverted the Dialogue, without any truths just arguing un blind beliefs, makes things impossible, but truth remains and my further arguements please watch in other forums and I WILL use this for etymology.
    MosesMohammedSolomon

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solomon Said:

I have proved beyond doubt, that the Biggest Anti-Tamilar but BIG hYpocrite Devaneyan had to agree that Tholkappiyam, to entire Tamil Literature clearly refers Vedas and Sanskrit Literature,
    No you lied. I asked you to post the entire article that Devaneya pavanar wrote . you excused yourself for not have Tamil fonts. I see that as an attempt to wriggle you way out.!

Solomon, if you quote Tamil books, give the whole text in Tamil, no one is going around carrying all those book that you quote to 'support' you!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please I ask of you all embroiled in this root fit...if you'd like, start another thread to address such matters...

Geek: It is commonly touted that geek originally meant a sideshow performer who bites the heads off chickens or snakes. While this is a sense of the word, it is not the original one.

Geek is actually a very old word. It is a variant of geck, a term of Low German/Dutch origin that dates in English to 1511. It means a fool, simpleton, or dupe. Geck is even used by Shakespeare in Twelfth Night, V.i.:

Why haue you suffer'd me to be imprison'd. And made the most notorious gecke and gull That ere inuention plaid on?
    The geek spelling is an American variation, even though Shakespeare uses the spelling geeke in Cymbeline V.iv., but this is probably just a misspelling. Geek first appears (outside the single Shakespearean usage) in 1876 America. American usage adds the connotation of offensive or undesirable to the original foolish and stupid sense. The Carnival sideshow sense appears in 1928.

Post Thanks / Like

Engilish Words

Friends- Bethel is a common name given to Churches, every body has seen it every where. Hebrew word Beth means house, and El is name of the Deity, but Bible Translators changed noun to generalise to God- House of God- Like Kovil of Tamil. KO-refers God and Il is house.

El, the name comes is all Semitic Languages, like il,ilu, and al in arabi.
    As per Bible Lexicons, Seimitics donot have root and the meaning is assumed as Power.
    El is a Pure Tamil word, used to refer Sun and God, even today in Chennai and other places Temples are called Ellamman and Ellappan temples. Some places wrongly written as Elliamman.
    El - is from Ellai Illathavan or Elumbhutal Illathavan, No boundaries for God, no births or deaths for him.
    Bible also uses other names as ElShaddai, Ellohim, Jehovah-YHVH etc.,
    ElShaddai is translated as God Almighty- and agains Lexicons say its not based on any base, but assumed and they infer from indirect references a God of Mountains.
    Agains Shaddai-to be pronounced SAddai- a Pure Tamil word, comes in Sangam Literatures to till date, refers to God SIVA.
    Shaddai refers to His Jadai, head and he has Sun and Moon on right and left side of Jadai. Kabalah of Esoteric Judaism tells all this. And Maraimalai Adigal refered in research this. Secret Doctrines refers it.
    Inspite of Maraimalai Adigal referring it, the Hypocrite Devaneyan did not acknoledge it or tried to bring the original word reinstated.

Ellohim, Hebrew follows IndoEurpean Standards and "him" is a plural with Femine term referring to an equivalent of Ammaiyappan of Tamil, and Ellohim -goes as Allahudum in Arabi, shortened as Allah, all refers to God Siva. In Bible Old Testament, Jacob worships ElShaddai as Lingam, Performs Abishekam and he was blessed.

Muslims visit huj evey year, to come round Kabha- Kabha Means Black Lingam(Stone)- Hug is comin round -dOING Prathakshan.

God- incidentley looks similar to Kadavul in tamil, which expands to Ellavarriayum Kadanthavar, and Ellavarilum Ullavar. G- 6th Alphabet, O-d and count it you get 26, that is God is all.

Idiyappam, I ONCE you complained gave the Tamil Version and explained When and Why DEvaneyan confirmed fully that Vedas and Nanmarai are Sanskrit Vedas, i.e., when Ka.Su.Pillai wrote a meaningless book saying that Vedas means some other books of Tamil, In a widely read Ilakiya book Devaneyan has to quit all his frauds he was spreading and accept the truth. You can verify and confirm. If you want any other articles I quoted I can send you by post,Duplicate copies. Accept the Truths.

Sasnskrit was accepted as the source of Greek and Latin, called as Mother of both, But Maxmuller put an arguement- saying it takes a Millenium-1000 years are more for a Language to develop, and hence call Sanskrit as Elder Sister and not mother, as Linguists all over the world accept.

Let us see more word in future.
    MosesMohammedSolomon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast