Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Etymology

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let The Cat Out of the Bag This phrase meaning to disclose a secret is from an old scam of selling someone a suckling pig at market and then surreptitiously substituting a cat for the pig. If one lets the cat out of the bag, then the secret is revealed and the fraud discovered. The scam dates to at least 1530, but the phrase doesn't make its appearance until 1760.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear friends,

Mayuram’ a town in tamilnadu was named after ‘Mayuri’ which is name for peacock / mayil. It is mayiladuthurai now.

Some 200 years back this mayuram turned ‘Mayavaram’ / Mayaaram and one 'purana' was created that A fellow got one 'varam' from 'sivan' god and after that he named the town as ‘mayavaram’ which is not having authentic proof.

Likewise Bangalore was called ‘Venkaaloore’ and some of the local poetry signifies this. Other stories are unbelievable.

Take the word ‘aborigines’ - ab origines - Latin root is ‘ab origine’

In tamil ‘ari’ means beginning. Lot of words like ‘arisi’,‘arichuvadi’, ‘arikaall’ are there to specify this meaning. ‘ari Om’ is beginning of god manthras.

‘Arisanam’ is to specify ‘turmer’ which is beginning of any cultural function to remind ancestors.

This ‘arisanam’ turned ‘origine’ phonetically to specify the tribe / inhabitants of any land.

Take the word ‘above’. It is from old English ‘abufan’ which was from ‘abuv’ Latin word. Now the English word is pronounced as ‘abuv’. The root is ‘buv’

In tamil uvan / puvan means top / upwards / sky. Puvan turned ‘buv’/ abuv to specify upwards.

f.s.gandhi

"Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    F.S.G,
    Bangalore is the anglicized version for 'Bendakalooru'meaning the place of Baked grains.Plz don't take your "Tamil is the origin of every darned thing on this earth" to the extremes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    F.S.G,
    Bangalore is the anglized version for 'Bendakalooru'meaning the place of Baked grains.Plz don't take your "Tamil is the origin of every darned thing on this earth" to the extremes.
    Thank you Cinefan! I knew they didnt teach me wrong at school in Bangalore!!!

Like most towns before founding, the place was a forest! Why would anyone go and name a spot in the forest, just because it was a little cooler? And what, Bangalore is the coolest spot in the whole, wide world?

Here's a little history lesson from the Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/200...2500270200.htm
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gossip
    This is a very old word with a much more modern meaning. It comes from the Old English godsibb, meaning a godparent or baptismal sponsor. It comes from god + sib (meaning blood relation as in sibling). It dates to at least 1014.

By 1362, the term was being used to mean a close friend, one you might chose to be godparent to your children. It was applied to both men and women, although in later uses it came to be applied only to women. By 1566, the word was being used to mean a flighty woman, one who would engage in idle talk. From there it came to mean the idle talk itself.

Post Thanks / Like

When you go into world ancient history we find tamil there. What can I do in this ? I treat all the languages equal and I find no difference / distinction between one (sound ) to another (sound).

Which century Kempe gowda belongs to ? What was the name of Bangalore before kempegowda ?

Bangalore was the place called ‘Venkaaloore’ in Venki Naadu during 10th century.

Anyway I move on to next part.

Latin words of tamil origin and Greek words of tamil origin written by Professor K.S.A. Knana kiri Nadar will give more light in finding out the roots of English words.

Time to time I shall also write in this. If time permits we may go into English vocabulary in its length and breadth.

A / Vowel starting words are very much essential since vowels plays major role in any language formation.

Ab-scind – to cut off , Latin – Scindere tamil – sinthuthal

Abs-cond – to take oneself off, Latin - Condere Tamil – Kaanaathan (Kanamal ponavan)

Ab-sense - Latin – esse Tamil –eya Eyakki and esakki from this root

Ab-solve – to set free Latin – solvere Tamil – Salpu –viduthaiyadai, Niraivadai

Abs-tinent – refrain from Latin- tenere Tamil - Thinaru

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I tried several times. Messages have not been entered successfully.

The very Next time of today it has been entered which made everything repeated.

sorry for the inconvenience that I posed for the readers and the moderators

f.s.gandhi

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

English Month Names

We have moths September- December, and they mean as follows

September- Seven- root from Sanskrit - Saptami
    October- Eight - " " - Oshtami
    November Nine " " -Novamy
    December Ten " " " -Dasami
    AS TWO Kings names July(ius Caeser) and August(us Caeser) name included the months went back, but the names remained same and entire world calls them wrongly
    MosesMohammedSolomon

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solomon, it now appears that Sanskrit is actually an offspring of Greek or Latin. Never Indian.!

Thanks for telling us that!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ETYMOLOGY OF WORDS

English words for Mango is a direct Tamil word, and no separate name for fruit exist.
    The word for Country Boat- is Catamaran again is the corruption of Kattamaram.

Greek and Latin did not have any worthful Grammer till 16th Century CE, and now saying the Bye Prodts of Sanskrit.

Idiauppam your words means, that a girl saying I did the Labour Operation for my Grandmother.
    MosesMohammedSolomon

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast