Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: About ICSE Syllabus in India...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hehehewalrus, lordstaner
    Truely informative posts. Never knew much abt ICSE or CBSE as I studied under karnataka state board. So could u guys answer some more queries from me
    1. Which r the schools in Bangalore that offer ICSE/CBSE?
    2. Where can I get the text books (reffered by ICSE/CBSE) for pimary 1(Ist standard)? During my schooling all text books were available at any book or stationary shop. But now I hear that the books r provided by the school itself. So would like to know if the text books r available at any book stores in Blore, Chennai or Hyderabad?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely agree with you, Tomato!! It's amazing how much infor. you gather just by discussing it at a slow and steady pace. This was exactly the reason, I was too embarrased to ask any of my Indian relatives back home. Either they didn't know enough or they could only relate to their particular Boards that handled their education.

Kudos to both Walrus and Lordstaner for this gradual and much needed discourse on education and of course, that good ole school system, Pa!!

It pays to be wandering Nomads, huh????!!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato
    hehehewalrus, lordstaner
    Truely informative posts. Never knew much abt ICSE or CBSE as I studied under karnataka state board. So could u guys answer some more queries from me
    2. Where can I get the text books (reffered by ICSE/CBSE) for pimary 1(Ist standard)? During my schooling all text books were available at any book or stationary shop. But now I hear that the books r provided by the school itself. So would like to know if the text books r available at any book stores in Blore, Chennai or Hyderabad?
    Tomato,
    Um......I'm afraid I've no idea reg. Bangalore schools?
    Reg. books, yes they were sold to us at the school itself even during my schooldays.....
    still, as for bookstores in Hyderabad, the ones I can (vaguely) remember selling ICSE books r at these places called Koti & also Abids in Hyd.....but has there been ne problem in buying them from the school itself, ie. difference in pricing etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen
    Kudos to both Walrus and Lordstaner for this gradual and much needed discourse on education and of course, that good ole school system, Pa!!
    Ur always welcome, NS......'twas my pleasure of course!
    Also helped me take a little walk down memory lane to my innocent (really!) schooldays in the process!

It pays to be wandering Nomads, huh????!!!
    R u kidding??!! Whoz been paying me for wandering around (virtually) in this hub??

PS- nice avatar this time......tat Sari looks really nice on her....!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hehehewalrus, lordstaner
    Nowadays selection of schools depends on several factors like 1. proximity to home, 2. availability of transport 3. Quality of teaching 4. Results produced 5. Amount you wanna spend on kid's education etc. So you might want to weigh in all these factors before selecting(There may be some schools with good teaching, but also a hep school where lot of super-rich kids study and your kid might get corrupted as well! - so you need to think about all these If you are relatively new to Bangalore, you might want to talk to 7,8 parents who have put their wards in school)

Just for starters, you might want to check this site : http://www.bishopcottons.com/
    (Bishop Cotton is Bangalore's most famous school located on St.Marks Road and follows ICSE - i dont have any info about how good it is - talk to more people) You might get some idea of the fee structure and so on - dont be surprised if it costs a fortune to get an education there.

PS: I assume you are mallu, there are lot of smart mallus in bangalore, there must be a really good quality school run by the mallu associations, you would definitely like to put your kid in that type of a place and also run into long-lost relations :P

I dont know ur location, are u in Bangalore? What you need to do is get the list of prescribed books from the schools and compare the prices offered by the school and outside, it may differ. After that, if you're planning to buy outside, you might wanna try out Gangarams and Sapna, 2 good stores that stock textbooks and may offer discounts. Gangarams is on MG Road, a stone's thrown from Higginbothams(HB may stock school books as well, but they dont offer discounts). Sapna Book House is close to Majestic and KempeGowda terminus, it's just a 5-8 minute walk, you need to ask people for Tribhuvan Theater, the store is just beside, it's easily spottable since you will find lots of youngsters making their way to the shop. (PS: Gangarams and Sapna offer discounts for college books, not sure about school)

Aside: For novels/fiction, the preferred place is Premier Book Shop, its on a tiny lane called Church Street, just around Bishop Cottons on St.Marks Road - its a good repository of 2nd hand books for cheap rates. Of course, its not like Bombay's Flora Fountain where u can grab a dozen books for Rs.40 or Rs.50 depending on your bargaining power

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    i had my entire education in karnataka as its my native state..
    Some info about ICSE and SSE-
    Just to get an idea- I passed my 10th in 1993..
    and when i give any statements they are based of majority...that means there is a minority case which u should keep in mind as well.

My husband had his school education with ICSE in kerala
    where as i had my school education in SSE in karnataka.
    In SSE-
    In SSE that is state syllabus only 10th std were state wise..i mean the same question paper for everyone in sse in karnataka.
    and exams for other classes below 10th were set by their respective schools, But syllabus was the same thro'out sse schools. In sse for english medium we had first language english, second language kannada and third language hindi.
    but once we go to PUC 1 and puc 2(Pre university college- known as +1 +2 or 11th 12th and more...) i think there was only english medium...and for second language we had options of hindi, kannada, sanskrit)
    In school sse we had to study history, geography of the entire world in detail but where as my husband in ICSE did not study the world history and geography.. They just skimmed thro' some important points in brief..
    also i have relatives in maharashtra and andhra who had kids of our age...among all the school syllabus people used to say that the Standard of syllabus in karnataka schools is very high but the standard of teaching is not at all good. and the education system here is so much polluted and corrupted now even in the school levels..I see my cousins in so much stress all the time now ..i did not have that prob during my times...then it was only in the college level...I have gone thro''a lot of collge politics and corruption..but in the end i have become a strong person...and can stand for myself in any situation.
    No idea about the teaching standard in ICSE and CBSE syllabus schools in karnataka.

I'm very lucky to have got my education in India in karnataka.
    in general if a person has his childhood in india he becomes strong mentallyand socially in any situation.

I had my school life in north part of karnataka so i got to learn very GOOD hindi and understand some urdu (influence of nawab)which the south karnataka people cannot talk,
    can understand marathi because near to maharashtra and in my place literally it was a labourors language, telugu because neighboring state and had a lot of andhrites in our universities)
    and of course kannada, hindi and english..I'm lucky to have grown up there.
    Hope this helps for anybody trying to know the education system in karnataka

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another poser, sorry if I had missed anything earlier!

What abt curriculum development????? Do all these schools under the various Boards share the same textbooks and subjects taught???

Setting of questions for major public exams???? Who sets them????

Thanks in advance!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    What abt curriculum development????? Do all these schools under the various Boards share the same textbooks and subjects taught???
    Unftly no, different boards recommend different books/syllabi for schools under their respective boards......which is y, as I (& Walrus) said, a student will face difficulties when changing schools from one board to another.....
    Besides, for ICSE atleast the books r published in Delhi and distributed throughout the country......whereas SSC books r published locally in the respective state.......
    Oh, and yea I forgot to mention earlier- in ICSE there r foreign languages available as an option.....in my old school in Hyd., French was introduced as a 3rd lang. (in addition to Telugu, Hindi & Sanskrit) sumwhere around 1994......
    However, students still had to continue their 2nd lang. (Hindi or Telugu).......

Setting of questions for major public exams???? Who sets them????
    Well, its definitely the respective boards themselves who set the papers......and tats where the papers go for correction/final results.....
    ICSE/CBSE r both Delhi-based boards, whereas SSC being a state board, is located in the respective State itself......

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [/quote]
    Unftly no, different boards recommend different books/syllabi for schools under their respective boards......which is y, as I (& Walrus) said, a student will face difficulties when changing schools from one board to another.....
    As lord... said thats very true...
    Well, its definitely the respective boards themselves who set the papers......and tats where the papers go for correction/final results.....

I dont know about other states but this is not true in Karnataka with the SSE syllabus to my knowledge. In karnataka except for 10 std exams papers all the rest classes exam papers are set and corrected in the respective school itself. But the SSE has same syllabus/text books throughout state with SSE schools.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NM
    I saw Visu's arattai arangam some time back and was amazed with the TN students' speech, their vision, determination and their vast knowledge. We do not see that in malaysia, especially not among the indian students. We are being suppressed so much and indian parents are under tremendous pressure to ensure their kids do very very well in their studies as everything here is based on quota system!
    Arattai arangam? Oh dont get too excited by it - here's a description of Arattai Arangam in Lollu Express:
    <Begin quote>In that program you can see thaikulam sentiment/appa sentiment/amma sentiment/naikkutty sentiment/poonai & eli sentiment etc...there were times when people used to hug each other and cry(anandha kanner)!Makkal romba unarchi vasa padaranga.<End quote>
    AA is merely a packaged program used to whip up sentiments, the mainstream public doesnt care about it - they attend it merely to appear on TV - nobody wishes to practice what is preached there Only good is some Rotaract clubs come forward to offer money to the poor.

Ok I understand the repressive policies of the Malay government, just like in Sri Lanka, and the 2nd class treatment handed out to Indians. But dont u think tamils(since 90% of msian indians are tamils) will make a bigger impact if they join the mainstream instead of staying aloof by themselves? As such, there is a certain amount of bickering when tams get together, it cant be helped.

BTW, i keep thinking NM and ratchasi are the same person - due to similar writing style and age i guess, its so hard to distinguish

Quote Originally Posted by stanher
    Hmm.....well, I never learnt to read/write a single word of telugu (altho just a couple of alphs.!) throughout my life in AP!
    you dont have to - since Hindi is the official language in Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by stanher
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    only thing is they simply cannot pronounce the "sh" sound - it is always 'friendsip', 'bullsit', etc.
    Same thing in Bangla too......hence maybe the identity confusion w/ Bongs.....
    Pronunciation of "Sh"? nope. Bengalis proficiently use the "sh" sound even substituting it for the 's' - Even noticed they pronounce "Sarkar" like "Shorkar" and "Saurav" like "Shorub"?

The confusion is with the surnames, Kar and Das are very common surnames used by both bengalis and oriyans - Probably some common ancestry since bengalis are spread all over WB, Bihar, Orissa and further east into Assam, Bangladesh(they are lots of Bangla Hindus who left Bangladesh after 1971). Pure Oriyan names are easily identifiable like Mohanty, Patro, Mohapatra, etc.

But the best way of identifying bongs is by their 'healthy' cheeks - the result of consuming tons of sweets, the average bengali consumes atleast 100gms of mishti every day A less surefire method is by their glossy hair - effect of a daily seafood diet.

It's amazing how much infor. you gather just by discussing it at a slow and steady pace. This was exactly the reason, I was too embarrased to ask any of my Indian relatives back home. Either they didn't know enough or they could only relate to their particular Boards that handled their education.
    nirosha, its only the tip of the iceberg. what you got was only for TN, for other states it will be totally different.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast