as thiru said-
People in India have to realize that.... They have to make the kids realize that there is a future in everything.. The problem in India is that there is a such a gap in salary between the professionals(doctors, s/w people, Chartered accounts) and the non-professionals (clerks, officers) that people tend to enforce that the only way to make money is to be a professional.
I agree that parents should encourage their kids to do anything they want to.
but The gap in salary is for a reason-
In india doctors put in minimum of 7 years of hardwork including the 11th and 12th where they study like crazy to do their best for the medical entrance ,
engineers put in minimum of 6 years of hardwork including 11th and 12 again and struggle thro'out to outperform others..
Chartered accountants too put in minimum of 6 years of hardwork..and i heard from one of my friend that preparing for chartered accountant exams is not a joke at all...

compared to clerks and officers...
in case of commerce and arts background- not as much hardwork in 11th and 12th - they have a bindaas life compared to science students..and then they get into a 3 year degree and again not much of a hardwork and then become a clerk or an officer if he has a masters degree which again compered to the professionals hardwork is nothing.......In which case i dont see any reason why there should not be a gap in between a clerks salary and other professionals salary mentioned above....

The more hard work and efffort u put in the higher ur salary..

One thing always holds good in any big things is LUCK...which if one does not have the most intelligent person can end up being a clerk..

I really believe that the gap in salary in india has its justification.