Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good vegetarian diet?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good vegetarian diet?

Hi all,
    Give some suggestions on the best vegetarian diet in different circumstances(breakfast, lunch, dinner, fever/sickness, winter etc). Please give the right mix of food items.

As topic says, this is about "best vegetarian diet". If you want to talk about superiority of NV over veg or vice versa, you must strictly satisfy the following conditions :

1. you must be jobless
    2. you must be senseless
    3. you must be utterly useless :P

Please give your valuable suggestions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Walrus - These days the intepretation of what is good vegetarian diet seems rather subjective, Pa!!

I have friends who go even further to omit garlic, onions and other corms/bulbs/tubers from their diet!! It's boggling to me!!

Then there are those who are willing to accept eggs with their veget. diet. So at the end of the day, I keep wondering exactly what is the whole idea behind it!!

Do I make any sense????!!!! Sorry, if you are equally confused, Pa!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My husband is a veggie (though I am not) and the diet he follows is...

Breakfast - cereals, wheatabix, or if it is Indian breakfast like idli, dosa, etc - we use minimum oil and add grated carrots, onions, etc for the extra fibre! Also a glass of milk (no sugar)

Around 11:00 a snack of a fruit, - apple, orange, pear, mellon, etc!

Lunch is generally chappati/rice with loads of vegetables.

Around 4:00 a tub of yoghurt

Dinner is rice/pasta/chappati/vegetables with loads of vegetables again.

Vegetables include anything from mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, peppers, onions, carrots, peas, spinach, beetroot, etc

Have a wide variety of veggies so that you don't get bored and also get all the vitamins and minerals.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey good idea...my earlier attempt is lost in food thread shy and forgotten...anyways if soy is the best substitute for meat then tofu is my tasty offer...great in soups, stirfry, curries, can substitute it for paneer or use soymeat in heavy gravies...can even use it in dessert with syrup or in drink as warm soymilk with ginger...personally find meat-tasting soy-based products yucky...don't eat meat but want food to taste like meat? Hmmm oh and my veggie diet does not include mushrooms not because of any weird technicality but cause i despise its yucky taste

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hm..l personally love vege. food, but consciously have chosen not to be vegetarian. Though I'm more than happy not to touch mutton, beef or pork, I do enjoy imbibing the occasional chicken and other sea-food dishes!

To be honest, I really don't see the need or even believe that a vege. diet is healthier than a non-veg diet. But I do see, an increasing number of people turn to vege. diets more out of guilt than any real reason for health!

Am I wrong in my assumption, folks???
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    My husband is a veggie (though I am not) and the diet he follows is...

Breakfast - cereals, wheatabix, or if it is Indian breakfast like idli, dosa, etc - we use minimum oil and add grated carrots, onions, etc for the extra fibre! Also a glass of milk (no sugar)

Around 11:00 a snack of a fruit, - apple, orange, pear, mellon, etc!

Lunch is generally chappati/rice with loads of vegetables.

Dinner is rice/pasta/chappati/vegetables with loads of vegetables again.

Vegetables include anything from mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, peppers, onions, carrots, peas, spinach, beetroot, etc

Have a wide variety of veggies so that you don't get bored and also get all the vitamins and minerals.

Wow! What a systematic way of life! How do u manage to cut off Temptation from your Diet?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirosha Sen
    turn to vege. diets more out of guilt than any real reason for health!

Am I wrong in my assumption, folks???
    I think u might just be a couple tweaks away from the real reason. I'm not getting into any sort of Veg vs Non-Veg diet war, but usually ppl turn to veg diets to loose some unwanted pounds. Out of Guilt? Some I'm sure. I switched to a veg diet out of guilt during my teen years, and haven't changed back. But here in the US atleast, most do it to shread some unwanted pounds. But that never works, because after they loose the wieht, they start loading up on the meaty carbs, etc to make up for few months they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoush
    WoW! How old is he? That might not be too healthy after a certain age. Unless of course it's fat-free. :P But fat-free stuff tastes so bad, it's not worth it.

Chenky,
    What the Hell?
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Unless of course it's fat-free. :P But fat-free stuff tastes so bad, it's not worth it.
    I agree with that..ever drunk tea/coffee with fat-free milk? Coffee is somewhat ok due to smell caffeine, but tea tastes like colored water, like the kind in indian railway stations, yuck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anoushka's recommendation is healthy and clean but are there any quick and easy veg sources of protein? There are some pulses/soya but they take time to cook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast