Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in the past...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Living in the past...

Simon says...
    We invented zero so we are not backward.
    We invented the pi. so we are not backward.
    We had great stories and epics, so we are light years ahead of everybody else.

Robert says...
    We invented sati, so we are backward and third world.
    We have child labour so we are backward and we are third world.
    We give only men the rights to do final rites, so we are backward.
    We discriminate based on where and in which family one is born, so we are light years behind the world.

I say, We might have had a glorious past. However we had enough poison to spoil everything. Should we be proud of our ancient heritage or in our modern outlook where we run extra mile an extra hour everyday to catch up with the fast progressing modern world? Tell me friends where do you want to be? in ancient Bharath or modern India?
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    JG,

It is just a matter of 18 more days.. you'll understand how glorious 'Past' was...
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai,the fact is we might have had a glorious past but we seem to have no pride in that.Instead referring to the glorious past is seen as a shame.With such an attitude we have a become a rootless soceity.Added to that over a period of time we have degenerated& picked up every bad habit in the book.The result of all that is the corrupt,indisciplined,rowdy,selfish soceity we are seeing.Where do I want to be,not in the past(I have no experience of how life was there),definitely not in the present but in a land where people don't demand extra money for doing their job,where opportunities are available in villages,small towns&towns so that cities are not overflowing with people resulting in destruction of nature&causing infrastructural problems,where the political leadership actually responds to people's concerns instead of disgustingly fighting among themselves a la Devegowda Vs Congress,where people's ambitions are channelised into achieving something instead of getting limited to buying flats,cars&flaunting their wealth,where people don't come to the streets trying to prove their language,race,caste etc is superior.In fact I can go on&on.All this can happen only with collective efforts over a looooooooooong period of time.But when will the start happen?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio
    JG,

It is just a matter of 18 more days.. you'll understand how glorious 'Past' was...
    Why are you pulling that poor guys leg akka?Marriage has its share of pros&cons.He will see only the pros for a few months&then the cons will start appearing.But still married life is a different feeling for both the husband&wife.It involves lot of compromises from both.There will be times when you feel being alone was much better.But the charm of marriage is so strong that such thoughts get banished very soon.

Jai,take it me,ignore these discouraging people&have a blast.Best of luck.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    JG,

You into astrology too! Oh dear!

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idiappam - JG is getting married Pa!! That's what the leg-pulling is all abt. He calls it, "anbu chang-gali"!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiappam
    JG,

You into astrology too! Oh dear!
    Idiappam anne,

Idhu astrology ille.. pure facts combined with logical thinking and practical experience..
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Jai, you getting the kaal kattu?? OK! Please come here often! At least once a month!

Vaazhga Pallaandu!

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Living in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    I say, We might have had a glorious past. However we had enough poison to spoil everything. Should we be proud of our ancient heritage or in our modern outlook where we run extra mile an extra hour everyday to catch up with the fast progressing modern world? Tell me friends where do you want to be? in ancient Bharath or modern India?
    JG,
    at the outset, congrats! Wish u a happy married life (btw, pardon my curiosity- idhu luv-a arranged-a?? )
    OK....coming to ur qsn., no doubt u've posed a very thought-provoking qsn. indeed!
    And personally, my answer has/is/will always be- to be in "modern" India by all means (not poss' to go back to "ancient Bharath" neways, unless u got a time-machine )......but also preserve/maintain watever important and beneficial aspects of our culture tat we know of and find to be leading us in a right path......and maintain a balance between the two!
    Thus this will ensure tat while we still hav to "run an extra mile an extra hour to catch up w/ the progressive modern world", we shall also not belittle our significant and/or unique traditions and other cultural aspects in the name of "keeping up with the changing world" or "making progress"......only to ultimately turn ourselves into a "rootless society" as aptly described by Cinefan!
    A couple of quotes tat I incidentally remembered- "Open ur arms to change but don't let go of ur values."
    "U can shed ur leaves but not ur roots."
    A very important thing tat the present/future gens. must understand!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear lordstanher!
    Mine is an arranged traditional marriage.
    Traditions are just a collections of practices that have held on to a society from the past. At no point should we be weighed down by them
    What we are today is a result of an iterative process of social and religious reforms that we have been doing for some time. So at no point of time are we worser than our past. Our present includes our past simultaneously. So there is no need to instill artificial pride in the name of our past. That is my point.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast