Thread: Higher education in US,Australia,UK or Germany

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Higher education in US,Australia,UK or Germany

I am a BTECH engg student (starting 4th yr) in chennai.I have had quite a few arrears and cleared a few of them.Now I want to know if these arrears will affect my chances of higher education abroad.

Then If I clear all these subjects by the 4th yr and I get an aggregate of 70% will I have a good chance?

And will a good score in GRE/TOEFL help me get a good college abroad(irrespective of the arrears).Thank u.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry boss,
    i don't have good news for you. your aggregate marks or your cumulative grade points is the yardstick for selection . its the marks that speak for you. it presents a picture of how good you are at academics . so bad luck. but still if you want to pursue higher education , you can apply for colleges in australia and low ranked universities in us. there is a chance you may get admit but again you may not get aid. second criterion is how good you are at research work.
    suppose you have published papers in international journals and your guide writes in his recommendation letter that this person is a very good researcher then your marks become secondary. also important is who your guide is. is he a professor or a person of international reputation? finally you got to have good gre and toefl marks. it's not necessary that you should have scored 1550 in gre. anything above 1400 is ok. best of luck !!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    belladonna,

You need not give up hopes. I would say you still have a very reasonable chance of admit if you bring your aggregate to near 65 or 70. Backlogs will be problem only with your visa officer if he happens to go thru the grade sheet. Give a convincing explanation and you will be through. Of course, do your best in GRE/TOEFL.

I repeat, backlogs will be a prob only with the visa officer. The reason is that there are lots of univs in india, some of which the top %age is 68 or 69 per batch. So Chennai univ gives you an advantage. Maximise your %age by choosing good electives. Also very few univs give aid in 1st sem. So backlogs wont influence aid chances at all.

Univs dont expect all admitted students to join, so they give a high number of admits. Select 2 sureshots, 1 or 2 high-ends and 2 reasonable univs. Get guidance from www.edulix.edu on choice of univs. Ensure your 3 recos are from good profs, all of whom have a Ph.D(there are millions of profs and there is no such criteria as "international reputation" - univs are NOT going to research your prof's resumes in any case)

Finally, do not bank on the experience of others!! I know guys doing Ph.D in decent univs whose GRE score is 910(yes, 910!) but had presented papers. So try to present couple of papers, ramp up the perci, you will surely get a decent univ. Give us the happy news

Note: The above is for US only. I dont know for other countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    hello mr hehehewalrus,
    let me clarify what i mean by persons of international reputation. there is a HUUUUUUUUUUge difference between a prof from iisc or iit and one from a local college. suppose this person (the one who recommends) happens to be a well known figure in a particular field then his recommendation carries a lot of weightage.If he/she is well known in the world for some work, it helps a lot. you are trying to mislead belladonna by giving an impression that gre is not important at all. as a person who is trudging the same path, this is my advice to belladonna :
    This is not any expert advice,. You can just take home whatever seems sensible to you and ignore the rest. this is my ranking of essential things needed for studying abroad:

Order Of importance:
    5 GRE Score
    2 Recommendations
    4 final year project
    6 Other Projects
    3 Publications
    1 CPI / %marks
    2 Department rank
    5 statement of purpose

I know guys doing Ph.D in decent univs whose GRE score is 910(yes, 910!)
    that's a joke.
    can you tell me what's your idea of decent universities.?maybe you had these in mind:
    Northeastern University
    University of Tennessee-Knoxville.

when i say good universities i mean universities like University of Michigan-Ann Arbor,University of California-San Diego

bellodonna, i never meant to discourage you. you've got one more year to go. so you can really catch up. once again,best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    and finally ,i for one ,don't poke my nose into matters unless i have good knowledge of what i am talking about.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.chenkalvarayan
    hello mr hehehewalrus,
    let me clarify what i mean by persons of international reputation. there is a HUUUUUUUUUUge difference between a prof from iisc or iit and one from a local college.
    Kiddo Chenkal...............
    Firstly before you advice someone, read 2-3 times to see what the guy states about his situation. Make some intelligent inference before senselessly dumping what you heard from the grapevine. Quit the lecture about IIT/IISc stuff which is irrelevant to belladonna(if he's from there, he wont be coming to THIS place to ask for info! Besides no IIT/IISc prof hands out recos for free - they give it only to those who worked under them unlike Madras univ profs who bulk-answer every request)

you are trying to mislead belladonna by giving an impression that gre is not important at all. as a person who is trudging the same path, this is my advice to belladonna :
    Stop passing stupid judgements on my motives, Your Lordship! ahh, you're still sitting inside the well and making the guesstimates while I have come out of it and seen the realities here.

Order Of importance:
    5 GRE Score
    2 Recommendations
    4 final year project
    6 Other Projects
    3 Publications
    1 CPI / %marks
    2 Department rank
    5 statement of purpose
    What kind of asinine hard and fast rule is this? Are you even aware that there are some GRE-strong univs, some GPA strong univs and some Project-strong univs?

that's a joke. can you tell me what's your idea of decent universities.?maybe you had these in mind
    Stop quoting things I never said !!! I am referring to a top 30univ. I know a guy with 1550 without funding and a guy with 900 and funding in the same university!! 590 and 790 in verbal have more or less same weightage for an engg program. Dont talk like you personally set the criteria for each univ. There are some univs which are overall well ranked but some depts suck. Then there are low ranked univs in good industrial location with aid while there are top univs without aid.

Finally, if you wanna advice do so. But quit commenting on other's opinions when you are the one blissfully cocooned in the guessing realm and yet to face the realities. Now quit wasting my time.

Post Thanks / Like
    foolish hehehewalrus

when i mentioned about iit and iisc professors the point i wanted to drive home was that there exists certain differences between professors. the dumb fool you are,no wonder you misunderstood it .

pray tell me are you from mit? then i'll shut the hole in my face and leave this forum .

j.chenkalvarayan wrote:

that's a joke. can you tell me what's your idea of decent universities.?maybe you had these in mind

Stop quoting things I never said !!!
    if you had read his previous post you get to know the truth. also please read his other posts . most of it doesn't make any sense. so you can't take this guy seriously.maybe he is just one more lunatic, who has access to net .lurking around .

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino