Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *Gujrathi/Rajsthani CUISINE*

Hybrid View

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

*Gujrathi/Rajsthani CUISINE*

Everybody loves Gujrathi/Rajasthani food. Their masalas are very aromatic and mild too..!!
    I love Tarladalal's recipes but havent got a range of gujrathi recipes. Please do post Gujrathi/Rajasthani specials for lot of mouth watering tongues..!!!

For a start I am posting Tarladalal's recipe which I make very often and though it takes a little time .. its awesome.

BHINDI SAMBHARIYA
    Tender ladies fingers stuffed with besan and other spices make this traditional Gujarati dish a favourite. You can also stuff onions, potatoes, tendli in the same way. I often microwave this dish. This way, the bhindi stays fresh and green in colour and also cooks quickly.

Preparation Time : 10 mins. Cooking Time : 30 mins.
    Serves 4.

Ingredients
    250 grams bhindi (ladies fingers)
    ½ cup Bengal gram flour (besan)
    ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
    1 teaspoon chilli powder
    1 teaspoon coriander-cumin seed (dhania-jeera) powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons chopped coriander
    ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
    ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
    1 tablespoon oil
    salt to taste

Method
    1. In a pan, combine the gram flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and salt and cook over a medium flame till it is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove, cool and add the sugar and coriander.
    2. Trim the ends of the bhindi and slit them lengthwise.
    3. Fill these slits with the roasted gram flour mixture and cut each bhindi into 25 mm. (1") long pieces.
    4. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida.
    5. Add the stuffed bhindi pieces and salt and cook, uncovered, over a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes till they are done.
    6. Serve hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNDHIYO

This is my mother's recipe
    My mother makes it a little different from the normal Undhiyo.
    Usually muthias are dropped in the Undhiyo gravy, but I generally dont make muthias as they are time consuming.

Serves - 2

INGREDIENTS :
    Fresh Methi Leaves - 1 bunch (washed and cut)
    Ajwain (Omum) - 2 tsp
    Brinjals - 3 small
    Raw Banana - 1/2
    Surti (Avvaraikai) - 1/2 cup
    Garam Masala - 2 tsp
    Dhania Jeera pd - 1 tsp
    Jaggery- 2 tsps

Gring to a paste
    Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
    Greenchillies - 4-5
    Garlic - 3 big pods

Method :
    1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add ajwain seeds. Immediately add the cut methi leaves.
    2. Cut vegetables into big pieces.
    3. Stir for a minute and add the ground paste. Stir few secs and expect a good arome. If needed add more garlic (as per choice)
    Then add brinjal, surti, raw banana.
    4. Add salt, garam masala, dhania jeera pd.
    5. Cover and pressure cook till one whistle.
    6. When done , add Jaggery and dont mix rigourously as the vegetable will tend to get soggy.
    And steamed Undhiyo is ready!!
    Have hot with Rice or Chappatis. Goes well with rice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx and bye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Does anyone know if there is a special garam masala (or any masala) for gujrathi food. I remmember some ladies in India getting together to make masalas and Kakhras..
    Thankyou

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Gujarati dal and a few of my favorite dishes - recipe please

I am looking for a traditional gujarati dal recipe served in marriage parties. It is somewhat thicker than the dal used in the household on a daily basis. And then I am looking for the cabbage kachumber - I think lightly cooked, with rail kurma and all, little yellowish in color. And the next recipe I am looking for is for the "kathol" which is the cereal - mug or masoor in a semi liquidi form.

Any traditional Gujarati - please share the knowledge of these wonderful items.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gujarati dal and a few of my favorite dishes - recipe pl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramanan
    I am looking for a traditional gujarati dal recipe served in marriage parties. It is somewhat thicker than the dal used in the household on a daily basis. And then I am looking for the cabbage kachumber - I think lightly cooked, with rail kurma and all, little yellowish in color. And the next recipe I am looking for is for the "kathol" which is the cereal - mug or masoor in a semi liquidi form.

Any traditional Gujarati - please share the knowledge of these wonderful items.
    Mr Hemant Trivedi, a regular hubber on this forum posts excellent Gujarati as well as other tasty & healthy recipes. Check out NAIVEDHYAM (Hemant's Cookery Corner) under this same Food Forum. If you run thro the threads you will find his own site...

Regards,
    Shoba

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Gujrati Dal

HERE is TARLA DALAL's Gujrati Dal ..Never miss her recipes very unique and authentic. I have tried it many times and tastes just the same like Gujrati dal.
    Not to forget, Hemantji's recipes are great too!!

GUJARATI DAL

A traditional recipe.
    Cooking Time : 60 min.
    Preparation Time : 10 min.
    Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients

2 cups toovar dal (arhar)
    1 cup yam (suran), chopped
    2 tablespoons peanuts
    2 kharekh (optional) {I dont use this..}

Other ingredients

8 pieces cocum, soaked
    {Kokum is like Tamarind.. Its very good for health. Its available in Indian stores and looks dark purple in color. Kokum juice reduces heat in the body}

1 tomato, chopped
    50 grams jaggery (gur)
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 piece ginger, diced
    4 green chillies, slit
    1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)

For the tempering

1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
    1/4 teaspoon fenugreek leaves (methi)
    10 to 12 curry leaves
    2 cloves
    2 sticks cinnamon
    1 bay leaf
    2 small round red chillies (boriya)
    1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
    2 tablespoons ghee
    1 tablespoon oil
    salt ot taste

For the garnish
    4 tablespoons chopped coriander

Method

1. Wash and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water.
    2. In another vessel, pressure cook the yam, peanuts and kharekh.
    3. When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and blend till it is smooth.
    4. Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and oil and adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
    5. Add 3 cups of water, the cocum, tomato, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
    6. Add the dal, yam pieces, peanuts, kharekh and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
    7. Serve hot garnished with coriander.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bye

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

recipe for cabbage kachumber

recipe for cabbage kachumber :

here is what I do..
    Cut cabbage in thin strip. wash it and get most of the water out. Put some salt on it and with your hand mix it.. you will have to rub it hard enough so salt mixes in the cabbage well... this will release lot of water from cabbage.. keep for 10 -15 minutes like that..

put some oil in kadhai, mustard seed, jeera seeds, hing.. when seeds sputter, add some green chillies it in (chillies as per your heat capacity) and add cabbage to it (make sure before you add cabbage - you squeeze it enough to take the all the water out)

- for most part cabbage is almost cooked.. in 5 minutes - take it out from the stove. Ready to eat.. If need add black pepper.

it takes excellent with warm warm bhakri (chapati).

for variation - i add green capsicum strips too .. recipe is the same...

- i personally think, this recipe truly gives the flavour or sweetness of cabbage (and capsicum - if used)

enjoy..

dipti

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

recipe for Khaman - yellow dhoka

recipe for Khaman - Dhokla:

this is my mother in-law's recipe ... HAd worked for me all the time..
    very straight forward recipe..

Khaman (also called dhokla - yellow diamonds)

you need:
    Yellow Chana daal
    1 inch piece of ginger
    some salt
    some sugar
    baking soda (little)
    green chillies
    1 tsp yogurt (optional)
    1 tsp shraded coconut (optional)

1 big container with cover, steel plate, - indian cooker is fine too - just do not use whistle.

soak chana daal overnight. (I have done khaman with 4 hrs of soaking too - I add hot water instead of cold water..)
    grind it next morning (use very less water) - rough texture is better than the smooth texture..
    add grated ginger, salt to taste, sugar to taste.
    keep it for 5- 7 hours depening on the weather.. for cold winter i keep overnight for summer 5-7 hours is good.
    mix it once again. taste it and add if you think it is missing something.. for most part you will have sourness.. if not add citic acid to get the sourness

once all ready - take some mix out in a bowl.. add 1 pinch of soda and mix it well... WELL is important - if the batter is already sour than by adding soda - chemical reaction will make the color little lighter and the batter will feel very light..

during this time the container with water/pressure cooker is ready with steam.. put the mixed up batter in it and spread it propery and put in the cooker... put the cover (no whistle) - cook for about 10 15 minutes (for 9 inch plate - 1 inch deep)

once done... take the plate out of the cooker and cool it down for another 10 -15 minute - very important so you can make/cut diamonds properly..

once diamonds are all cut - put oil/mustanr/jeera/green pepper/liquid yogurt - vaghar on it..

sprinkle coconut on it.. and it is ready to eat...

I make this too often and not very particular on the measurement.. I tried my best to get the measurement.. hope this helps else send me an emai and i will be able to guide...

Enjoy
    dipti

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dgunderia,
    Can we use besan (bengal gram flour) directly instead of soaking & grinding . (ie) instant Dhokla....if you have the recipe for it can u post it....I know they use besan & rava, but I need the proportion & the recipe for it.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rajsand,
    What does UNDHIYO & muthias mean?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Hello apujittu
    Undhiyo is an authentic gujrathi side dish served in most of the weddings. You can have it with chappatis/puri or even rice.
    Muthias are small ghatte like balls made of besan and methi and either deep fried or steamed. They are then dipped into the undhiyo. The taste varies vastly with and without Muthias..its a lot more tastier with it.
    Hope its clear
    Good luck

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast