• We should ajust to the new Environment and New Culture

6 54.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East meets West – The Cultural Collisions

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aravindhan
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    I find it very difficult to come up with excuses everytime they ask me out, like Oh I have head ache, I need to go to the gym
    Can't you just say "illai pa, enakku viruppam illai?" That worked quite well for me.
    Depends on whether they understand Tamil or not!

Quote Originally Posted by aravindhan
    It's not at all difficult to choose to conduct yourself otherwise, even in the most "hep" colleges.
    Well, I guess it also depends on how firm/bold u r capable of being, esp. if u r sumthing like an odd one out while being in a gumbal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    deleted
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Friends,

Cultures are sum total of parameter of evolution of a society.
    Cultures and languages are alike.
    If they are like a flowing river which accepts everything unto itself on her way and grows mighty.
    Accepting good things from all around and rejecting unwanted influences is in our hands.
    If we are like a pond (Our culture) then we are likely to parish.

A culture should be like water...ready to assume the shape of its container.
    In absence of any container, it becomes perfect sphere. And if it is on ground, it quenches the thirst of mother Earth. It is very beautiful even in fallen state. In fact the whole world waits for RAIN TO FALL.

I remember one line which is very dear to me.

"VIZANDHAAL VIDHAI POL VIZU.

So let us become flowing water.

Nichiro
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Senior Member Regular Hubber Guyana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help coming back here sometimes as much as I need to retreat myself.

>>Cultures are sum total of parameter of evolution of a society...Accepting good things from all around and rejecting unwanted influences is in our hands. If we are like a pond (Our culture) then we are likely to parish. A culture should be like water...ready to assume the shape of its container. In absence of any container, it becomes perfect sphere. And if it is on ground, it quenches the thirst of mother Earth. It is very beautiful even in fallen state. In fact the whole world waits for RAIN TO FALL. <<

Many of us have undergone this centuries ago, only that we were never accepted for it, and instead, looked down upon. You only come to know one's position when you are faced with having to put your foot in his/her shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Guyana,
    (Are you Urme?)

Such amalgamations need time and space to find its roots.
    May be five or six generations down the line, almost all cultures merge.
    Nichiro

Senior Member Regular Hubber Guyana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am Urme, you remembered well.

>>Such amalgamations need time and space to find its roots.
    May be five or six generations down the line, almost all cultures merge.<<

Not with your earlier approach (which I have personally adopted (see post in white women thread from last year and year before)):

>>Accepting good things from all around and rejecting unwanted influences is in our hands.<<

>> May be five or six generations down the line, almost all cultures merge.<<

You are right "May be", because I know for a fact, first generation from India to the west have significant problems - fighting against their own culture, their parents etc.

But my initial question was, since such an "amalgamation" is a "natural phenomena", why do we look down upon it? Why can't we accept it and act accordingly? We go on as if it's the people's fault or something - they have done something that they shouldn't have or they have failed to do something they should have done.

My other point was, which relates to the one I just made, why laugh at others or tap one another on the shoulders when we are yet to go through the steps of others and we don't know the outcome or the "rate of change" in comparison, or if we know, we ignore it and go on looking down on those who have gone through the process?

Really have to run now. :P

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think...and it's not surpricing coming from me, that we should strongly hold on to our culture, even if we move to the US, Timbuktoo, or Antarctica. Our culture is our identity. And if we loose it, we have no identity, and if we have no identity, then what the hell are we? Sure we can just join the mainstream of the place that we inhabit right now in the name of adaptation, but....well it's really up to the individual, I would say, that we hold on to our culture at all times.

These guys & girls here are in the PUB till late evenings, I am not like this, I am not interested in these things......But most of the time, it is quite distressing.
    Raghu Ji,

Don't be uncomfortable to say no to something u don't want to do. Just tell them straight out, that it's not u, and that u don't like to do these things. Scared of acceptance in the circle of friends? Let me tell u from expierence, when u r urself, u have a lot more fun as well as gain a lot more respect from that circle of friends. Like Aravindhan, declining worked for me too.

Regards. 8)
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear all,

You have all got the wrond message, I was just using this pUB thing as an example, there are lots of other issues, like 'Mother Language', 'Food' and 'Religion'.

Most Tamil Idiots here , do not speak in Tamil amongst tamils, they speak tanglish, I get so annoyed with these bunch of lunatics

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstanher
    Well, I guess it also depends on how firm/bold u r capable of being, esp. if u r sumthing like an odd one out while being in a gumbal!
    The point I was trying to make is that it is quite easy in India to find a gumbal that would rather spend the evenings drinking coffee or going to the beach or a movie rather than going to a pub and getting drunk.

You have all got the wrond message, I was just using this pUB thing as an example, there are lots of other issues, like 'Mother Language', 'Food' and 'Religion'. Most Tamil Idiots here , do not speak in Tamil amongst tamils, they speak tanglish, I get so annoyed with these bunch of lunatics
    forumhub adhukkudhaane aiyya irukku! ungaLukku vEru enna thevai?

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean a little India in the middle of all that White Man's land???? Don't you guys have any such enclave where it's exclusive to only Indians to gather????

I guess it's easier for us in M'sia, primarily because we have all the needed creature comforts to be practising Indians, Pa!! Our own sundry shops, restaurants, even pubs for Indian singers to belt out the latest!! And of course, our temples!!

We celebrate Deepavali, Thaipusam where kavadis are allowed on the roads and of course all major festivals as per the calender!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast