• No

1 9.09%
  • We should ajust to the new Environment and New Culture

6 54.55%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: East meets West – The Cultural Collisions

Senior Member Regular Hubber Guyana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    >>Do you mean a little India in the middle of all that White Man's land????<<

I met one guy from Bombay when I was in Brighton, UK a few years back. He could not believe I had an altar in my room and how I was living as if in India. When I explained how different it is in Canada where I can go to the temple and celebrate all occassions in new, big and beautiful temples, at stage shows (local singing, dancing and religious acting and not to mention the beautiful costumes), have our own TV stations to do so, etc. , he was surprised. He said he never thought Canada would have the facilities. Well we do and lavishly too. I really missed out while I was away in UK and I can imagine what poor Ragu is going through.

The Guyanese people here have Hindu temples all over Ontario (which you can check and verify on the web). One great thing is that Canada, the only country in the world, promotes "multiculturalism" - the preservation of your culture and heritage. In the USA the Indians outnumber us, but they have few temples. Something to do with the government. We also have areas across the city where you can get all Indian food-stuffs, clothing, restaurants, find any kind of Indian music, you name it. This is fact, not meant to offend or make myself look good.

I think a few months back, there was even an opening in Toronto of a museum of Hindu culture and heritage. Lots of Indians from India and Guyana attended along with the Ontario Premier as shown on TV.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your time on this forum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichiro
    May be five or six generations down the line, almost all cultures merge.
    Nichiro
    Hardcore astrologers should not use 'May be', 'five or six'. Be positive man!

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen
    We celebrate Deepavali, Thaipusam where kavadis are allowed on the roads and of course all major festivals as per the calender!
    By celebrtating Deevali, do u mean ur actually allowed to burst crackers etc. in the open on tat day? In Singapore, altho its a public hol., I understand therez no bursting of crackers allowed!
    Also r u given public holidays on all these festival days in M'asia?? Again in S'pore, its only for Deevali.....however, ppl. still do celebrate Thaipusam despite getting no hol. on tat occasion......the kavadis/processions walk all the way from Little India to the Tank Rd. temple and the police r specially present there to guide them and control the traffic!
    IMO, they shud've taken this day as a Public hol. (besides Deevali), considering tat its the only one they celebrate so actively.....but they chose Vesak day (Buddhist festival) instead!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstanher
    We celebrate Deepavali, Thaipusam where kavadis are allowed on the roads and of course all major festivals as per the calender!
    By celebrtating Deevali, do u mean ur actually allowed to burst crackers etc. in the open on tat day? In Singapore, altho its a public hol., I understand therez no bursting of crackers allowed!
    Also r u given public holidays on all these festival days in M'asia?? Again in S'pore, its only for Deevali.....however, ppl. still do celebrate Thaipusam despite getting no hol. on tat occasion......the kavadis/processions walk all the way from Little India to the Tank Rd. temple and the police r specially present there to guide them and control the traffic!
    IMO, they shud've taken this day as a Public hol. (besides Deevali), considering tat its the only one they celebrate so actively.....but they chose Vesak day (Buddhist festival) instead!
    We do fireworks here in UK, for Diwali, as you may know we have about 2-3 Million Hindus in UK, Places like Southal, Wembley, is like little India, Sardarji's also celebrate Diwali, but sadly there is no Public holiday for this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aravindhan
    The point I was trying to make is that it is quite easy in India to find a gumbal that would rather spend the evenings drinking coffee or going to the beach or a movie rather than going to a pub and getting drunk.
    Again, I daresay tat wud depend on which place in India.......?
    From wat I've heard from friends in B'lore, the latter type of gumbal won't be too difficult to find there!

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="Raghu"]
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstanher
    We do fireworks here in UK, for Diwali, as you may know we have about 2-3 Million Hindus in UK, Places like Southal, Wembley, is like little India, Sardarji's also celebrate Diwali, but sadly there is no Public holiday for this
    Yes I do rem. being told by a net friend who was living in London (now in US) a few yrs ago tat Indians there r very much allowed to celebrate Diwali, crackers et al.....but I guess they're still reluctant to declare it as a public holiday......same thing in the US (& maybe Aus/NZ?) too!

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deepavali and Thaipusam are major holidays for us, Pa!!

Thaipusam is declared as public holidays in the states of Selangor, Perak, Penang and Johor. All the Hindus go to the major Murugan temples there to celebrate and watch those dazzling kavadi bearers!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Deepavali and Thaipusam are major holidays for us, Pa!!
    Well I'm glad the M'asian Indians made the right decision in choosing occasions for public holidays!
    The s'pore Indians shud've also chosen Thaipusam as a hol. by all means, considering tat they treat it very much like one by grandly celebrating this alone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123