• We should ajust to the new Environment and New Culture

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East meets West – The Cultural Collisions

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

East meets West – The Cultural Collisions

Dear All,

Most of us have here have migrated to the west or away from our 'Mother Land' (India/SL) , what are the Cultural problems and Conflicts we encounter in the west? Does the younger Generation Follow our Culture?

lets discuss[/b]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to see no one is participating in a sensible topic

Senior Member Regular Hubber Guyana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets start with the pressures in certain jobs/postions to meet western standard of dressing and the difficulties faced by Indians. I have some stories (not really about my self), to share. I will come back.

And I have to say the Indian men look more "sheik" than some white guys in western clothes. Look at the Indian movies these days.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of them are compelled to by their environment, Pa!! Otherwise, why bother to leave the Motherland???? I think most Indians have successfully adapted to their new land of choice. It's evident everywhere outside India.

I've lived all my life here in my homeland and I'm most comfortable, practising what I choose to and away from the pressures of the old country which my forebears had put up with!

To me India is strictly for tourism, cultural and religious and of course, I'm eyeing a good education system.
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    well Me living in UK having Migrated when I was just 13yrs old, find certain things quite difficult to tolerate, every Friday These guys & girls here are in the PUB till late evenings, I am not like this, I am not interested in these things, all these guys do is get drunk over the limit and they don't even know who they with.

I find it very difficult to come up with excuses everytime they ask me out, like Oh I have head ache, I need to go to the gym, I am always given funny looks and some time I feel as I am isolated from the rest, but I don't give damn as I am only here to do my Job.

But most of the time, it is quite distressing

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...peer pressure is there everywhere Raghu!! Not just the UK, Pa!!

Friday night out is the most common outing anywhere I reckon. It's the crowd one choose to hang out with, I suppose. But still, choices are there for not just Indians but even other native Brits. I'm sure!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen

Friday night out is the most common outing anywhere I reckon. It's the crowd one choose to hang out with, I suppose. But still, choices are there for not just Indians but even other native Brits. I'm sure!!
    Is this followed in India too

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    I find it very difficult to come up with excuses everytime they ask me out, like Oh I have head ache, I need to go to the gym
    Can't you just say "illai pa, enakku viruppam illai?" That worked quite well for me.
    Amongst the upper middle class in cities, yes. But it's a rather isolated phenomenon, and a lot less common than the English language press might have you believe. It's not at all difficult to choose to conduct yourself otherwise, even in the most "hep" colleges.

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see a thread on a very worthy topic indeed!
    However, as for the poll, I'm afraid I'm unable to decide among ne of the 3 above given choices!
    Actually, my response wud be wat Sharuna Sagar (first BBC newsreader to appear on TV clad in a Saree!) says: As long as we preserve the best of the East (our own culture) & adopt the best of the West, everything shud be fine!
    So I guess tats the spirit! Even if u r in a western/westernised country, I guess u can still handle the cult. shock if u r determined not to give up the best of ur culture and at the same time try & appreciate sum aspect of their (western) culture w/ out necessarily well- going too deep into it!
    Well, tats my personal thot!

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nirosha sen

Peer pressure is undoubtedly common among teenagers in India.
    A friend of mine once told me abt this program he saw on TV abt popularity of pubs/drinking among college students in India......turns out tat many end up in these indulgences even if they didn't like to b4, purely out of peer pressure/fear of being ridiculed by the 'bold' types who have no qualms abt doing it in the first place.
    As for me, even tho I lived in Singapore, a largely westernised country w/ plenty of chances for cult. shock, I always avoided giving in to ne form of peer influence, and even otherwise, I personally didn't experience much pressure from the local students there.
    A couple of times, a Chinese/other foriegn student in my institute wud invite/persuade me to smoke or sip sum beer.....I wud politely refuse....and tats it....they wudn't pester me ne further from there.
    I'm not sure if the situation wud've been the same for me had I been in an Indian college!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast