Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Andhra Vegetarian Cuisine(Teluginti sakahara Vantalu)

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Minni,

Mi ku nadi asshirwadamu.
    Manchi pani chesedhu Ma . Mana Hub lo, Authentic Andhara vanta jaasti evvuru posting chei ledu.
    Mi recipilu chusenu. Saala manchi vivaranamu unnadi.
    Pl keep it up.
    Nichiro

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear R,

I am not sure what you mean by taste is just not same. Please do post your recipe for us and I can probably suggest the proportions.
    We usually have karivepaku podi(curryleaves masala powder) with our dosas.
    As I said before there are no hard and fast rules about most ingredients..so regionwise and some familieswise they use their own proportions.

I am glad you like this thread. I don't claim to know a lot..but I do keep trying to expand my knowledge.

Thanks,
    Minni

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rsankar, svasu_ani,

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Nichirogariki vandanamulu, mee abhimananiki kruthagjnuralini. Nenu anta pragjnasalini kaanu, nerchukunna naa kroddhipati vidyanu mee hub sadassulatho charchinchavalenanna vaancha.
    I am glad you dropped an encouraging word for us here.

Thanks again,
    Minni

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Minni,

What I meant was that whenever visited my SIL's place, if I had this erakaaram, that was it. The Andhra hot, taste everything made us to eat more and finally, dozed up!! When I tried the same at my home, the taste was good; still, need more practice to compete with her Andhra cooking, guess.

Actually, her father owned a restaurant too which is an additional advantage.

Anyways, will check my note and post you her version of erakaaram and her style of lemon rice too.

Bye.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lemon style(andhra version)

All quantity are app.,

Grind ginger, garlic flakes, green chillies(since it is andhra dish, can take 5) nicely.

Heat oil, add mustard, 1 red chilli and haldi; once it splutters, put the ground paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.

Take the cooked rice and pour the haldi and salt, mix well. Take a handful of roasted gram and coconut, grind well. Pour this mixture(whatever u want)to the rice with the seasoning things. Now, squeeze lime juice and mix all of them together.

------------------------------

Masala dosa:

Prepare dosa batter just like we do.

Other ingredients:

Erakaaram:

onion, garlic (3 or 4 flakes), salt, red chillies or chilli powder 1/2 sp.

Grind the above together nicely. If you dont like the raw onion, garlic smell, saute a bit and grind it with the rest. Keep aside.

Roasted gram powder:

Take a handful of roasted gram, salt, 2 sprigs of curry leaves, hing, 1/4 tsp of chilli powder-grind nicely.

potato masala:

Boil the potato and peel the skin out. Heat oil, add jeera, grated ginger, green chillies, haldi, salt and potato, mix all of them well. Keep aside.

Main part:

Pour dosa batter on the tava; Once the dosa is cooked, put the erakaaram on the top and add 1/2 sp of oil, put roasted gram powder, again pour oil and finally, put masala. Close the dosa and cook on both sides for some time.

Ready to eat with sambar.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful Minni!! Keep it up!!

Seetha

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thread.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Errakaram

R,

The recipes you posted are very interesting. But I haven't encountered such dosas in the coastal Andhra region where I belong to. Also we use relatively less onions and one Garlic bulb would see us thru ages. As different regions develop different tastes and hence recipes.
    I am sorry but I cannot suggest proportions or variations as I am not familiar with this version.

However, I shall post of the kind of Errakaram(Redchilli masala powder) that I know of as being spread on Dosas.
    Suggested proportions
    Urad dal(minappappu) 2tbsp
    Chana dal(Senaga pappu) 1 tbsp
    Dried Red chillies(Endu mirapakayalu) 5-7
    Dhania/coriander seeds(Dhaniyalu) 1 tbsp
    Jeera(jeelakarra) 2 tbsp
    Dry ginger powder(Sonti podi) 1 tsp/ 0.5 tsp
    Methi seeds 1 tsp
    Curry leaves(Karivepaku) say 10-12 leaves
    Salt as per taste
    Hing a pinch
    Dry roast each of the above and dry grind them into powder.

Ok, this can be used as an accompaniement to Idlies also.

Minni

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Lemon rice

Lemon rice(Nimmapulihora)
    The rice that is referred to as "Lemon rice" is a misnomer..(unless its named after its lemon yellow color). It should be lime rice. As its made of Limes and not Lemons. In India for somereason Limes are referred to as Lemons.
    Usually a travel food at my place, people sometimes make it with left over rice too. Simplest dishes are tasty. So is this example. Less taxing on the woman at home, but a well appreciated by one and all.
    Also it is made on days of festivals.
    Ofcourse there is lemon rice(dabbakaya pulihora) that is made of lemons also. I am sure it follows the same lines of this recipe also..but I will check with my folks for sure before posting it here.

The recipe is as simple as this in most households.

Need 3-4 cups cooked rice. Spread the rice in a wide mouthed mixing bowl. After its slightly cooled Add salt and turmeric(just enough to get that lemon yellow color, yes I mean Lemon not lime that is green))mix juice of couple limes.

Now the tadka/vaghar/tempering/popu/taalimpu is as follows:

In one or two tablespoons of oil, add split urad dal, chana dal, ground nuts, mustard seeds, jeera, hing, sliced green/red chillies, minced ginger and curry leaves.

Mix this with the rice.

P.S. Using Green chillies would give a livelier taste to the freshhness of the lime juice. So if you have green chillies on hand, do use them instead of red chillies.

Green chillies slit into two halves is the way most people do. But I slice them into thin rings...reason...I donno why...!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Minni

wonderful..keep it up..bless you
    j

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast