Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Maintenance

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Maintenance

Remember how annoying that black mark was on the living room wall? Or the squealing door hinge? Eventually it goes unnoticed.

Similarly, too often we adjust to car problems that need attention, too.

According toVehicle Maintenance Council 4 out of 5 cars need maintenance, such as the items listed below. Is yours one of them?

WORN BRAKE PARTS Postponing needed brake service, in addition to being a safety hazard, can escalate the cost of a braking system overhaul.

TIRED WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES Don't wait for a rainy day to replace worn blades.

BURNED OUT LIGHTS Can you see and be seen? Check all your lights regularly to be sure.

CLOGGED FILTERS Scheduled replacement of air, oil, gas, fuel, transmission and other filters extend car life and improve performance.

WORN SPARK PLUGS Worn plugs waste gas and increase exhaust emissions. They also cause the engine to run poorly.

CORRODED BATTERY CABLES Corroded cables and a weak battery cause starting trouble. Have battery and charging system checked if the engine turns over slowly.

GLAZED BELTS, ROTTEN HOSES A slipping belt can affect engine cooling, alternator, power steering, and air conditioner. Replace worn belts before they let you down . . brittle or rotten cooling system hoses can lead to overheating. Others, such as vacuum and power steering hoses, hinder performance and safety.

NEGLECTED COOLING SYSTEM Periodic servicing of the cooling system helps prevent deterioration of radiator or heater core.

LEAKING SHOCK ABSORBERS Worn shocks or struts affect ride control and shorten tire life.

DAMAGED CV JOINT BOOTS These rubber boots protect the critical CV joints that deliver power to your wheels. They should be inspected regularly and replaced as needed.

LEAKING MUFFLER Have your car put on a lift occasionally to check the muffler and other parts of the exhaust system.

TIRED TIRES Worn tires are dangerous. Proper inflation, alignment and balance will extend tire life.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you simply have your car serviced at a dealer every couple of months or so, you will probably never experience most of these problems.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good topic Nov,

Servicing cars can be very expensive, time belt(Cam belt) needs to be changed for every 60,000 miles, it is better to use coolant in the radiator than water, as water evaporates quickly.

CV Joints and Shock absorbers are indeed very expensive to replace

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    www.kbb.com & www.edmunds.com are famous websites that gives information on purchase and maintenance of cars in North America..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HindustaniLadka
    If you simply have your car serviced at a dealer every couple of months or so, you will probably never experience most of these problems.
    Well, A acouple of months is a bit more than the usual, usually it's ever 30000 miles, here at least, or every 6 months.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    surya, 3000 or 30000?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it varies... First service...for my Camry was 3000, the next was 16000, now I"m at around 18000, so the next one for my car atleast, I"m pretty sure it goes for most other Toyotas, is at 30000. Or every 6 months.
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru,
    You get a maintenance manual with the car you buy. Refer to it. In general an oil/filter change is recommended every 3 months or 3000 miles. Other service varies depending on the make and model.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Senior Hubber malligai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though I have been driving for long, I dont know anything about cars...All I know is to call 'AAA' the moment something goes wrong..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajraj
    Thiru,
    You get a maintenance manual with the car you buy. Refer to it. In general an oil/filter change is recommended every 3 months or 3000 miles. Other service varies depending on the make and model.
    thats what I meant when I asked surya about it... oil change is every 3000 miles and they look for stuff like wipers, lamps, air filter during that time.. The scheduled service is 30,000/60,000/90,000 miles..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast