Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saravana Bhavan in NJ

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Saravana Bhavan in NJ

Does anyone knows when are they going to open the Saravana Bhavan at the intersection of Wood Ave & Oak tree road in Iselin NJ ?

The signs are up for a while, atlast we are getting a decent South Indian Restaurant in this neighborhood. I heard this franchise is owned by the same New York Saravanas in Lex ave & 26th street.

I tried at the New York one and the food is pretty decent especially the Soth Indian Thali.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boycott them. i am sure there are many good restaurants in NJ.

They must be taught a lesson for giving substandard food for sky-high rates and discourteous service in india

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vramesh
    Boycott them. i am sure there are many good restaurants in NJ.

They must be taught a lesson for giving substandard food for sky-high rates and discourteous service in india
    is that true ??? cHennai ites ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Regular Hubber southiecook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar experience. When I was in Chennai during last year, went to a SB inspired by this forum. We had to wait, wait and wait until we got the food finally. We ordered for some badam milk for my impatient toddler and asked them to give that atleast, but that too took looong time. The food was tasty, but not excellent and not worth the waiting time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please note the restaurant is not yet open and do not be prejudiced based on your experience in India. If you do not like don't eat there. Let us review the quality here in New York and come to our own conclusion. I have not seen one decent hygenic southie place in NJ. The demand for SB in Madras draws a lot of crowd because of their quality.

Comparing all other ethenic restaurants, Indian restaurants are reasonable in price. One can not expect $6.99 buffet with quality in NY or NJ. It is like some one asking you to work for 40K ?

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber Pushpa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends,

It is much safer to eat some kanji or bread/ jam at home , rather than risk your respect and health at the so-called 'high-class' veg. restaurant. Yes, years back their food and service was A-class, but not anymore.

I've eaten about 3 times in Saravana Bhavan, Dubai, where I'm presently staying. The first time, though service was lousy, the vadai was good --- coffee was too bitter & only the boy who collects the dirty plates told us the menu & even got us the food !

So, next time decided to have a take-away instead, and when we reached home [just a 15 min. drive], noticed that the chutneys were stale [literally frothing, yuck], sambar etc. were watered down and even idlis were hard at the centre [ old idlis ...] ;;; we chucked out the whole thing, and had some fruits and bournvita .

After such a terrible experience, very unwillingly one day we HAD to step in there only, as nothing else was open and it was worse :

a] All the staff are so sulking , act like they are doing us a huge favour by asking what we want to eat .

b] No proper system of seating -- even if someone is obviously waiting for a table to be cleared, some other oaf who wanders in just sits at the said table and in spite of protest from those in the queue, the manager TAKES NO NOTICE at all and just serves that guy !!

c] Even water is not provided at each table -- if you ask, only God can help you as the waiter promptly inserts a couple of his fingers into any tumbler of water at the nearby table, lifts it & plonks it in front of you. Maha Annoying ---

d] At last, once you get your chair then begins the struggle to catch a waiter's attention to place your order --- you have to do this with at least 3 waiters , then your meal would arrive -- cold and not even half as tasty as you'd expect, very substandard ! Wonder why the hell you set foot in this place, leave your food unfinished, pay your bill & leave.

e] No amount of complaining, questioning gets even a decent acknowledgement from any senior staff : -- they just vacantly stare at us, and go back to collecting bills / money and they just couldn't be bothered if we ate or not at their place.
    Bottom line is -- NO STAFF IN THE HOTEL CARES A DAMN !

Recently, about 2 weeks ago there was quite a news here when half a dead cockroach was found in the dal of the thali meals --- was published with photos --- disgusting ! The same unfortunate pair had on an earlier occasion encountered a piece of plastic in their upma --- complaints were filed with the Municipality, but obviously nothing is going to come out of it.

Regards,
    Pushpa.
    Don't 'darofy' , simply 'karofy' ......

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Saravana Bhavan

Hi Friends,

I'm in Chennai for a vacation. I'm a great fan of their Vatha kulambu and kurumas. I was greatly dissappointed as the original taste was lost and the prices was sky rocketting. I tried in all the branches and the result was same.

There are better restaurents in NJ so dont go SB. Its a failure

Post Thanks / Like
    What you mean by prices are sky rocketting ? When people in Chennai can afford for person from USA should be pea nuts. You said there are better restaurants in NJ, Where are they? Stop whining and this forum is about SB in NY and NJ. I don't know where your benchmark tastes come from for you ? There is a price for hygenic food, have you been to Devi? Please keep it yourself your review of Chennai SB. If you have been to NYC SB please post.

For Pushpa I am discussing about NYC and NJ please post your comments some where else. Again my advice is if you do not like do not eat there.

There is a health a department monitoring all NYC Restaurants and their findings are posted in their web site. Regarding Chennai it is the demand drives the market.

Of course you can find dime dozen street food in Panagal Park and for less than a dollar. Think all of you guys and girls who make top $$ here learn the culture of cuisine and educate yourself. Once again before making any comments set your benchmarks. It takes many years to appreciate the cuisine.

Even today I had Lunch at SB in NYC and the food is excellent

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dosa grill is a decent south indian veg resturant.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG !!
    i see its real hot in here !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast