Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: when you listened roja album the first time....

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends, I have come after a long time.Yes Roja is infact one of the best albums in TFM, also one of the best by ARR.I was studying 5th standard at that time.Before that the radios would beam music from IR's hit movies.But suddenly we heard a new sound completely new in all dimensions.As everyone had mentioned it was the song "Puthu Vellai Mazhai" that stole the show initially.I watched the movie in theatre and the songs were all superb.Suddenly everyone were talking about this guy called A.R.Rahman who had come in place of IR in Mani Rathnam movie.The magazines praised AR.Rahman as "music whizkid" and praised about the songs and the excellent rerecording and BGM. Though many claimed that ARR would be a one film wonder ,he proved everyone wrong and the rest is history.
    Friends! why dont we start a individual threads on ARR's movies like Gentleman,Kadhalan etc etc.
    Meanwhile I miss many of the old time surfers like C~P,rs,maddy,paran,vijay etc etc.Are they still in TFM writing in different names?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys u just saw the age of ppl. when Roja was released.......Dragun-9 yr old, Apna dinesh - just 4 yr old!hahaha!!...Music man- 10 roundabouts and me- 10 yr old......so see ARR, nambalayellam pingiliye pazhukka vechitaruppa....

Jokes apart......it was August 15th....i was with my family having spl lunch prepared by mum and was watching spl oliyum oliyum......last song in the list was Roja.......i just could not believe my ears......wat clarity and wat a tune mannn....it was just out of the world......i called up all my pals asking them abt their opinions and everyone were stunned ........immediately i started searching for MD's name in DhinaThanthi cine ads section and told my dad it is some one called ARR.....my dad told me he mite be some old man who shuld have worked for IR and MSV and will last only 2-3 movies......the next week kumudham carried a photo of K.Balachander with a young man lifting his arms.......picture was so unclear that i tought it wa some mentally retarted kid that KB was helping out....but when i read that article i realised this was the person who is going to rule me and my thinking just like my mom has ruled me...since then i have followed ARR like a mad person......ARR is just not a MD for me but a major "Psycological and attitudenal change in my life" thanks to roja

Senior Member Veteran Hubber dinesh2002's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys..time for my turn...eheheheh..ok...i didint follow THE FIRST time with arr/roja,but my parents used to say when i was 4,i enjoyed Roja songs allot,and pester them to play them often,anywayz,it happened when i was 7 (yea,3 years later only) i got to know the magic of ARR.It was some show day in my skool,and we,the malaysians,inculding indian,malay & chinese sang all 3 different languages songs.yea,we sang malay,chinese & tamil song,guess what song was chosen for the tamil song??Chinna Chinna Aaasai,yes,and i was the translater for my teacher that time :P ,everyone was so proud to sang the song that time and we stole the show for taht day... yes,we got the most apriciation from the teachers & parents,and we could see them enjoying Chinna Chinna Aaasai beats !
    Madhushree's HERO (Tamil Version) feat. Tale Spin, Lyrics by me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqPYBSABOWc

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey music man it was very nice to see u remember my nick (rs)...dude thanx a lot......... i was more of a silent watcher in the new look TFM forum.

o.k it is my turn now.... i was in 10th standard then ..... August 15th 1993, they played chinna chinna aasai in DD oliyum oliyum......wow amazing song that was.........hooked me the instant i heard it........ i was longing for that song to be played again on DD...but in subsequent weeks, they played only Kaadhal rojave...which i didnt like as much as i did chinna chinna aasai.........

that was the time, i had dislike for the senior musicians in the field, their pompous nature, the way the films glorified them........ it was a whiff of fresh air.......... but i didnt have much of thought about A.R.Rahman, i only thought he was just another one-film wonder until i heard pudhiya mugam........... that was classic stuff......... but more than ARR's music, it is one of his interview that made me a crazy fan of his. "ella pugazhum iraivanukke"...man he is chancelessssssssss........ his humbleness bowled me over....... i used to buy all his cassettes, with a friendly warning to ARR, "hey, intha thadavai kavuthudaathe" and pray to GOD for ARR's successs........... each time he signs up a film, i wud tell to GOD, please please this one only, he needs to click in this film to make it big ...................i did this till he got muthu............. each ARR's film is like a festival.............. each ARR's achievement is a family celebration and i used to admire ppl who associate with ARR also. prabhudeva, shankar, manirathnam etc..,

flash back over...................
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ARR-ROJA

ROJA yaralla thaan marakka mudiyum. Unforgettable moment 8) .

When I was 11 ; Me and my friends were returning from a cricket match (we won) and I suddenly started hearing the song of PUDU VELLAI MALAI song from a HUGE speaker kalyana kontattam. Just Imagine how it would have sounded. I was almost 100mts away when I was hearing this. Odinen Odinen. The more I reach closer I m completely hooked by the different sound. Amazing. engada irukkan sound system karan. apparam avan kitta kettathukkapuram thaan therinchathu MR'S MOVIE ROJA ARR MUSIC.

I dont even know ilayaraja was replaced. I LIKED ANJALI AND DALAPATHI VEERYMUCH IN THEIR COMBO. to do to do something, adi rakamma kaia thattu. I m still wondering does arr HAVE any contribution towards anjali and dalapathi. sound differents from other IR albums. MR would hav not picked arr just like that. appa arabinchathu thaan, BOSE varaikkum niruthamudiyalai.

Infact Bombay audio release was a different experience for me and I can't forget even now. At that time my taperecorder become crap and katha thukki pakkathu veetu windowla vachhi thaan cleara ketten. I was almost praying pls play bombay from morning to nite. Kannalane i guessed immediately it is Chitra & was almost dancing on the corridar to ARR's Humma Humma. my family members guessed immediately that it is whiz-kid album on seeing me going crazy . vettula ippa kooda enna rahman thambinu thaan koopiduvanga. it makes me really proud .

LONG LIVE THIS GENIUS FOR HIS MUSIC, AND HIS HUMILITY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rs.Nice to see you.I was too a silent member of this new look TFM.Finally decided to break shackles due to this topic.In addition to Roja,it was the song "Margazhi Poove" in May Madham that made me one of the hardcore fans of ARR.I even learned keyboard of my own and I would play all these songs on my little keyboard.Nice to hear from you.The most surprising thing to me is that I used to think that Dinesh could be a 30 yrs old man,but now it's surprising to find he's lot younger than all of us.Yes the music of ARR had brought us together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Infact I was a die hard IR fan before the release of Roja !! Roja completely changed it and I became such an ARR fanatic - I bunked my Physics Ist Semester Exams at REC Trichy in 1997 December to come to Chennai to buy the Iruvar Audio Cassette!! I wuld rate Iruvar as one of ARR's all time best - and as the best BGM ever!! I have the DVD and everytime u play it - the BGM haunts u!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys - how abt netru illatha matram from pudhiya mugam - I think that got ARR lots of fans - followed by Gentleman!! Btw does anyone know the raagam of En veetru thotathil song from gentleman..I used to think it was Sahana (my fav)..but it seems its something else

Post Thanks / Like
    Scale - its nice to see a fellow ARR fanatic like u ..

But I really think ARR shuld pull his socks when it comes to tamil music and give us music as he did in the 1990s..The last good soulful album from my ARR was kandukondein kandukondein for which he shuld have got the national award..did that idiot anu malik win the award for the yr 2000?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Arjuna!

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Scale - its nice to see a fellow ARR fanatic like u ..

But I really think ARR shuld pull his socks when it comes to tamil music and give us music as he did in the 1990s..The last good soulful album from my ARR was kandukondein kandukondein for which he shuld have got the national award..did that idiot anu malik win the award for the yr 2000?
    I think you are talking about just Tamil Albums and u kidding ARR lacks soulful these days?. Have you heard Meenaxi, TLOBS, Swades, Kisna are they not soulful & now BOSE?

ARR Music have matured a lot and he is well settling in a new dimension. To me it is more soulful these days. Dont expect foot-tapping in every album. BOYS too he has given enough. I can understand that many of the tamil speaking ARR fanatics miss the beauty of the Hindi lyrics and his magical composition. No doubt he is versatile & experimental. But I can see him laying a strong foundation (rehearsal) for the upcoming International projects.

ARR is a masterbrain in picking up the projects too. Do u all want ARR to choose the same projects like Karakattakaran/kari versions for years. Look at the projects he has taken in Hindi and Internationally. On contrary,he never missed to satisfy his tamil fans too by GF, Aa Aah.

Upcoming
    a) THE RISING
    b) LOTR
    c) WATER

& the previous one in VM'sRaaga Dance, WOHE, Bombay Dreams UK/US. Others like NMLagaan, SWADES, BOSE.

ARR Desa pattru (from his songs) parthu pullarichu poochu. Desa pattrunranthu ratthathula irukkanum harmonium thu la theda koodathu. Kodumba pattra vena thedalam.

If ARR signs one album in Hindi or Tamil, the advantage is it can be dubbed in several languages and he get many state awards, more box office collections. Can hear the same song from different singers. It reaches wider audiences. One & only with ARR Film Industry can do that.

I wish ARR shud get these titles too. Dr. ARR, 10 National awards, Grammy Award Winner, OSCAR etc.. Definetly he has got that potential and I doubt in future will anyone be able to achieve this much from India.

Grow up dudes. Let ARR explore the globe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast