Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NO~ONION NO~GARLIC recipes

Senior Member Regular Hubber rsankar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

This recipe is simple and easy to prepare. I con't remember where I get this recipe.

1. Potato and Pudhina fry

Ingredients:

Baby potato - 1/2 kg
    Pudhina leaves - one hand full
    chilli powder - 1 tea spoon to 1 1/2 tea spoon
    jeera - 1 tea spoon
    freshly made jeera powder - 1/2 to 1 tea spoon
    oil - 3 to 4 tbsps
    salt to taste

Method :
    Clean the baby potatos.(if you want the potato skin, don't peel it.)
    Clean pudhina leaves.
    In a kadai, pour oil add jeera and potatos and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
    Add chilli powder, salt and cover with lid. Let it simmer for some minutes.
    When this baby potatos are 3/4 cooked, then add pudhina leaves, and cook them for some minutes.
    When the potatos are cook well, add freshly made jeera powder.

Enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber rsankar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

you can prepare karunai kizhanghu fry, vaazhaikkaai fry(banana varuval) and mango sweet pachadi without onion and garlic.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no onion no garlic

Hi everybody
    Just came across this link which has "no onion no garlic" recipes..
    Hope you find this useful..
    http://www.ndtvcooks.com/recipes/nonglist.asp

Meanwhile please continue posting your recipes too.I love this section

Regards
    Sowmya

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of south indian recipes are no onion no garlic recipes. I know karnataka, andhra, kerala, maharashtra and of course north indian cooking well. Among this i know karnataka has a lot of these no onion no garlic recipes compared to any of these.
    I can say my mom used to use onion garlic may be once a week or so...kerala(in laws) uses either onion or garlic or both in most of their recipes and same with andhra(granny house) and maharashtra(influence from my dads side) has onion in majority recipes and garlic in some) No idea about tamil nadu cooking though.
    no offence to anybody..these are just what i have seen..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    napolims445,

Telugu/andhra vegetarian cuisine is almost devoid of tomato(a relatively new veggie as per previous generations) and mostly devoid of onion and garlic. When I visit my grandparent's remote village where people still follow such strict deitary regimen.
    I do not know relatively how big the cuisine is in comparison to karnataka's, but my limited conversations with aging grandmother gave me the impression that every vegetable can be cooked without the aid of onion/garlic/tomato. And people for centuries lived on such a diet. So it should be vast.
    I shall post authentic vegetarian andhra recipes devoid onion and garlic.

Thanks,
    Minni

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm talking only about vegetarian food here....
    I know that every dish can be prepared without onion garlic. But imagine chole or pav bhaji or gutti vankayi without onion /garlic..it would just not be tasty at all without those though u can cook them without onion and garlic.
    in karnataka recipes..literally we do not use onion/ garlic for most of the daily cooking recipes and this has been like this for generations and not that someone started to omit them and then that got followed. Its just their way of cooking. i can say the percentages are like 90-95% recipes with no onion/garlic. but i do not have any idea about the coastal karnataka's day to day cooking. coconut is for sure in their dishes.The andhra cooking i have been having are like 60% with onion/garlic and 40% without them..

Same with kerala, maharashtra and north indian dishes...u can omit onion/garlic but they will never taste the same and may be they are supposed to be cooked that way for their taste.

NO OFFENCE TO ANYBODY..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

hello all

Hey .. maybe we can get to know some authentic recipes without onion and garlic.
    This is what we need.. the best of recipes from across the country..and moreover pavbhaji and bhel etc. would not taste as good as it would with onion/garlic but its not targeted at the not-so-good recipes..
    We are here to share the tried and best recipes ..

I will punch in something good soon.

Thankyou Minni, napolims ..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ragada Pattice

I tried this one a few days back.

RAGADA PATTICE

Serves : 2
    INGREDIENTS

[*make tamarind and green chutneys as for bhel puri]

FOR RAGADA :

Dry green peas (vatana) - 3 cups
    Cinnamon - 1/4 inch
    Clove - 3
    Turmeric pd - 1/2 tsp
    Dhania-Jeera pd - 2 tbsp
    Red Chilli pd - 3 tsp
    Garam masala - 1 tsp
    Brown Suagr - 1 tsp
    lemon - 1tsp
    Oil - 2 tbsp
    Dhania leaves
    Shredded cabbage
    chat masala
    Salt

FOR PATTICE :
    Potatoes - 4 medium sized
    Tofu - 1/2 cup
    Bread - 2-3
    Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
    Salt

METHOD :
    For Pattice :
    Boil Potatoes and peel skin. Mash well when hot and keep in the fridge for a 15 mins. Now add all the ingredients except bread. If tofu is very wet, dry it out in a paper towel for sometime and then crumble and add it to this.
    Wet the bread a little and add it to potato mixture. Mash well and add bread until the mixture reaches a consistency when you can mould into koftas. Make koftas and shallow fry each side and brown it .

For Ragada:
    Soak peas overnight with lots of water. (can even sprout if for 3 days)
    In a pressure cooker, add oil, cinnamon, clove, dhania-jeera pd, red chilli pd, haldi, Garam Masala, salt, Peas. Mix well and pressure cook for 20mins after the first whistle on medium heat .
    See if the peas has cooked well, it should be soft enough to be mashed with a small finger. Add sugar and lemon juice.

Place 2 koftas in a plate and top it with peas mixture.
    Take 1 tsp each of tamarind chutney and green chutney and spread on top. Garnish with shredded cabbage, sprinkle pinch of chat masala and dhania.
    Have it hot!!

Hope its good, I liked it even without onion and garlic.

Thankyou

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    napolims445,

I am talking about andhra traditional vegetarian cusine. As Kalidasu-Bhavabhuti kadha says...I am "padaharu anala teluginti aadapaduchu" - translates to-- I am an authentic andhrite family born and brought up daughter, reasonably well versed with customs, tradition and cuisine.

I am not sure how you make your gutti vankaya...but the traditional cooking that I know and make... does not involve any onion or garlic. I can vouch for this as I know many other vegetarian families other than mine.
    Chole and Pav bhaji are not of andhrite origin to compare them to andhra's vegetarian cuisine.
    Okay, in my previous posting you seem to have got an impression that the vegetarians omit onion and garlic...but thats not the case..the cuisine by itself does not involve using onion and garlic in its mainstream cooking..just the way you described about karnataka. And the recipes taste just the way they are supposed to! Oh man! I am surprised not many are familiar with andhra's cuisine. Its a shame on me if I do not share my knowledge in this field and help archive some of it.

I can post couple different varieties of the recipe here. But I now feel a new thread on Andhra cuisine is more appropriate to post.

I know you don't intend to offend. We are all here to share our knowledge and heritage on this wide platform...so you do not need to mention it!

Minni

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Friends

Three and half years back i changed my diet from non-veg to no onion no garlic veg diet. When I decided to do that i was not sure how am i going to cook but with experience and some trial and error today i can make all dishes. Only trick which I learnt is take any recipe and remove onion garlic and add ginger instead....

The dishes i used to cook with onion garlic tasted better to me without it, i felt onion garlic loses the original taste of vegetable..

I know south indian food has got a big variety of dishes which are cooked without onion garlic and it will great if our friends can share there recipes with us ..i am looking for these recipes .. if anybody wants to know more about my experience u r most welcome to ask..

love to all
    j

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast