Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TANDOOR....At "Sadde Punjab Da Sanjha Chulha "

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Pammy,

Thanks for the response,

My objective for the request was to avoid any undue bickering among the members.
    Your explanation on different points are very interesting and readable.

As you have mentioned the HUB has a great presence ,
    for the same reason by avoiding futile comments we can make it more respectable and information worthy.

This was not for you or any one particular but in general request .

A healthy criticism supported with genuine arguments would bring out more information.

Please don't get me wrong...hope I have made my self clear

No offence..Cheerssss mate

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Pammi,

I feel flattered but I should decline to the post of QUALITY CONTROL person.

You see I am only an experienced amature . And not a pro.

I think you have pointed out a very valid thing. We do need to have some machanism to review recipes . I think a professional person like Mrs. Mano who runs Hotel ,fits the bill.

I would not like to comment on the recipes posted so far.

About truck driver's habit of snake bite is true as per your information, It is but natural that we have so many ghastly accidents involving trucks.

My family was associated with Parsis of Rajkot,Porbandar and Mumbai.
    Wadias were clients of my Grand father.

Coming back to Patrani Maachhali as it is known by Parsis
    If I recollect well, The fish is cooked in Plantain leaves after roughly descaling and removing the head. A true parsi will not de-skin the fish. Some chefs do not remove the head.
    If I am not wrong, the fish is not deskinned
    If they do, the fish gets over cooked.

This dish is actually a LAGAN NU BHONU or marriage recipe. Fish they use is called paplet or Pomphret
    You can have more details from the following link.

http://www.mumbainet.com/eatinout/jimmy.htm

Nichiro
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pammi,
    I was so excited when to started this thread on 'authentic punjabi food'. But all I see is u r busy picking holes and throwing dirt. Throughly dissapointed that u have not yet given us a single recipe.
    But ofcourse I would give u the credit for posting some intersting info abt 'truck drivers and their habits', but that again is really not to my taste, entirely my fault though (my taste I mean).

Let me also say this ; I still live on hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Tomato,

May be you have a point there . But if you look at what pammi had to say, we do need some sort of parameters to follow when posting a recipe.

I think we need to seriously think on those lines too. Every one wants to give something to others. But let us give the best.
    Quality needs to take precedence over quantity.

I am all ready to get my recipes discussed before posting in final slot.

Actually it would be my suggestion to have something like quarantine thread where members who are well experienced can discuss a recipe and then ok it. (A panel may be formed.)
    That recipe will then go for permenant posting.
    If others are of same view we can request Forum Hub to ok it.

Any takers ?

Nichiro
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sat Sri Aakal Pammi,

Assi twade shanje chule te khade hai ( Truck laiyeke... )

Badi bukKh laggi hai...Tusi aab kuchh paroso te ..mazza aavega...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichiro
    Hello Tomato,

May be you have a point there . But if you look at what pammi had to say, we do need some sort of parameters to follow when posting a recipe.

I think we need to seriously think on those lines too. Every one wants to give something to others. But let us give the best.
    Quality needs to take precedence over quantity.

I am all ready to get my recipes discussed before posting in final slot.

Actually it would be my suggestion to have something like quarantine thread where members who are well experienced can discuss a recipe and then ok it. (A panel may be formed.)
    That recipe will then go for permenant posting.
    If others are of same view we can request Forum Hub to ok it.

Any takers ?

Nichiro
    Nichiro,
    All that u r suggesting sounds quite ideal to me, but the question is; is it practical/feasible? For the said panel to be formed, how many expierenced, unbiased hubbers do we have here who r willing to go thru the recipes posted and ok it (r they willing to spare the time)?
    I believe everyone is capable of cooking some dishes well, age or experience has not got anything to do with it. I've had the oppurtunity to taste the same recipes made by diff people with diff age and experience. ( I have a huge set of aunts and uncle on both my parents side.) I've seen that some r able to make excellent sambhar, while others using the same recipe r capable of turning it into a disaster even at the age of 50(with a cooking experience of 3 decades).
    So my stand is that even if u do not have decades of experience it is still possible to master the art of cooking if u have the passion for it, and i think there is no harm in sharing those recipes here with fellow hubbers. To me the main critria would be the hubber who posts the recipes should be confident enough to cook the dish well and also be able to guide someone who is trying it out for the first time.
    Saying that I also think it would be rude to just lift some recipe from a book or the net and post it without having tried it out and to claim that it will taste great. If u did copy it from some other source and have not tried it urself, courtesy would be to warn that u have not tried it and u have just taken the trouble to search out the particular recipe on request.
    My 2 cents.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Tomato,

I fully concur with your side of arguement.

What I meant was not the taste part of it but genuineness of the recipe itself.

As you saw yesterday, the lady in Australia did not know the meaning of Machhi and thought that you can make chicken in a leaf. So she did some substitution of Fish with chicken and forgot/did not know how to go about it properly.
    So the name of the dish remains the same and the whole thing ends in a fiasco.

As pointed out by pammi, She also forgot to make the correction in one place and word Fish remained as it is.

If I am wrong, please correct me Pammi.

When you have experience, at least you know the difference between right and wrong.

Rest remains with the person who actually cooks.
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys..Guy...Guys...

Hold on your horses ..step back for a moment....why are we discussing a recipe which is not even published on this forum.

As far as I know we hubbers are quite critical about any thing we do not agree....and we point out right on....

As per my understanding this is ppls forum and we should maintain the same principals of

FOR THE PEOPLE .....BY THE PEOPLE...

let people be the judje and jury.

(of course we will maintain the decorum and dignity while sending our opinions..)

Let's take this discussion out of this thread and give Pummi an opportunity to publish her recipes.

What say Pammi....

Member Junior Hubber Pammi Randhawa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ash-970,

methinks that now u are being critical of genuine discussion of what we can do to improve our output.
    methinks nichiro meant the same.

Ya, I'm ready to throw open my output for for QC.
    Ya u said it right ma'm, this is people's forum and it is democratic, am I right ?
    Then why we shouldn't discuss anything which matters to us?

I've read ur postings and know u mean well.
    Hope am being clear.

pammi

Member Junior Hubber Pammi Randhawa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pancha Ratan Dal

Hi Tomato,
    U had asked for something in dals . I'm giving my 1st output and it goes to u.

I'm giving the basic recipe with process flow chart. U wud hv to follow it in general and at the end of the recipe, I will give ya finer hints. Hope its ok?

So.... Abracadabra 1st recipe From Pammi.

PANCH RATAN DAL

(pre-final model)

Serves 4 people

Preparation Time : 1 Hour

Ingredients

50 Grams channa dal
    50 gms Toor Dal
    50 Grams urad dal
    50 Grams moong dal
    50 Grams masoor dal
    3to 4 tbsp Ghee/Veg oil
    1 Medium Onions, Sliced
    5 cloves Garlic,
    1 pc. Ginger Crushed(6 to 10 gms)
    1 Medium Tomato, Sliced
    1/2 tsps Cumin Seed
    1/2 tsp Chilli powder
    1 tsp Garam masala
    1/2 tsp Turmeric
    2 tsps Salt (or to taste)
    2 pcs Khadhi Lal Mirch (whole red chilies)
    1 tsp Amchur powder
    2 tbsp Fresh Coriander,
    2 Green Chilies

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

clean and wash all Dals thoroughly . Soak in water keep aside for about 30 mts.

Fry whole red chilies,onion, ginger ,garlic and Cumin seeds in oil/ghee in a cooker/Kadhai.

Now add cut tomato, salt and red chili powder. Stir well till oil/ghee seperates.

Add about 1/2 liter of water, turmeric and all soaked dals in the cooker, add fried mixture also.

Cook for 2 whistles to three whistles. When cold, open the cooker,remove in a seperate patela.

Now add Garam Masala,Amchur,Green chilies, and heat on medium flame for three minutes .

Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Rotis/Paranthas or Rice.

End Recipe.

Please ask ur questions abt this recipe step by step and I'll answer.

One thing about this dal is, u can prepare either one, two or up to five dals with basically same recipe.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast