Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamil roots of sanskrit words

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When M.Deivanayagam took the ...... (snipped)
    ...... (snipped)

Devaneyan's quotations have been used his final work, Phd Thesis to attack the Tamil's Aborgins. .... (snipped)
    Solomon, you don't confuse the two persons, M. Deivanayagam and G. Devaneya Pavanar.

Pavanar did not write any book like 'Thiruvalluvar Christavara?".

But if Christians like M. Deivanayagam, wish to claim that Thiruvalluvar was as Christian - and belongs to the Christians, please let them have him. There are claims that Valluvar was a Jain, Buddhist, Muslim, Vedic Brahmin etc etc. Good!

It just shows that the man Valluvar is being admired by everyone, and once they read the little book of his, The Kural, they fall madly in love with him.

Ha! Valluvar must be one 'helluva' handsome guy.!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the thread that I opened to reveal tamil roots of sanskrit words.

So we shall discuss the issue now going on in 'Tamil is elder to sanskrit' thread.

I expect co-operation from Mr. Solomon.

I request Mr.Idiappam also to put your thought on 'Tamil is elder to sanskrit' thread to avoid parallel discussion.

We shall discuss only word roots in this session.

Thanking you,

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ThirukkOnechcharam

Thiru F.S. Gandhi Vandayar

What does Charam in ThirukkOnech'charam' mean? Does it mean kOyil?

Would you be more clear about ur defintion for the word 'Sinthu?'

You have pointed out the word 'am.' Is 'am' some sort of prefix or suffix? as in am+A? am+pu, 'am'irtham, ampalam, amapal, ampaaram, ampaal, ampAL, ampi, ammam.
    A Thamizh dictionary say am = azhagu, neer, megham, oru saariyai. What is a 'saariyai?' What is the importance of this word am?

You said most of the sanskirit used terms in the Thamizh temples come from Thamizh roots.
    Kumbabishekam is called as kudamuzhukku. Does kumabishekam come from a Thamizh root word? (kumba abishekam?). Where does the word Abishekam come from? If its not Thamizh, what is the equivalent Thamizh form of that word?

nanRi
    paNhivu

Post Thanks / Like
    After a long time I am glad to watch your postings. Welcome back Thiru Nedunchezhian.

Aaram-saaram-saram is the evolution word saram. Saram means ‘Maalai’. Thiri + kone + Maalai = Thirikonemaalai turned thrikonemalai. Here Thiri = moontru / three.

The place in triangular point is Thirikonemalai. Thiri is tamil word and it is from Thiripu. I have written about that in ‘Amateur Etymology’ column. Maalai also means ‘Aran’ Which is the root of Araniyam.(means anything protects)

I have talked about ‘Inthu’ in ‘tamil is elder to Sanskrit column’.Kindly go through that.One of the meaning of Inthu is ‘Mathi’- arivu. Inthu-sinthu-sinthai came in this way.

Compare ‘Sinthanaith thuli’ . Inthu means also ‘cool water’. When cool water from Himalayan icecap came (sinthi varuthal) naturally the river was called sinthu.

‘Am’ is called root. Do not put it in your grammar mind. Roots are compared in all the languages for their comtemporary meaning. The words of having same root will have common meaning.

At the same time ‘Am’ in ‘Amarvu’, Amaithi & ambalam will have different meaning and ‘Am’ in Amma,Amutham & ampal because historic perspective also is to be taken care of in defining the root words.

Root words in colloquial language is natural and they formulate their own pattern. Words are caught up with one root of common meaning is the reality.

‘Am’ was ‘suttu oli’ when man created first his own word to specify water. It turned ‘amadu’ to specify Am+adu , a place near water / sea. You can club lot of words in this ‘Am’ root. ‘Sariyai’ means a word which is oriented to something (Charpu) and it can be prefix as in ‘Amadu’ and suffix in Kutram (Kutru + am).

I plan to write about the roots ‘ava,apa,avam,apam’ in this column as I earlier wrote about certain Sanskrit words formation in this column after sometime.

Now we look into the word 'Abisehkam" Kumbam is synonym of Kudam and both are tamil words. Abi + Dekam. ‘Avi’ in tamil means things. In ancient days it meant ‘choru’. Later after rituals came into being ‘Avi’ specified ‘Velvipporul’ which are eatables especially. Avi turned abi. Dekam has root in ‘Okku-okam-Ekkam-Eekam’ to specify single (thanitha) / Muzhumaiyana / body especially the body of God.

When body of god is fully put into ritual bath with things of human intake it is called ‘Abidekam’ / Abishekam.

Explore more Thiru. Nedunchezhian. No restriction of Grammar- After all grammars are formulated by us. Historical and natural evolution of words should be observed.

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Nedunchezhiyan

nanRi Thiru F.S.Gandhi Vandayar

I would like to know if using words like Abidekam and Kumbabidekam seem approrpiate and equivalent to the words Kudamuzhukku and anything alternative to Abidekam. It is perhaps the sanskiritizng of the Thamizh words that have made Thamizh people to think Thamizh words are Sanskirit. Even now most of the people, even in the media such as TVs, Radios and Newspapers say 'pooja' instead of 'poosai.'

There has been some problem with the word 'kONham.' Apparently a Thamizh Teacher I know, refuses that its Thamizh and point reference to this Dictionary released by Saiva Siththanthak Kazhagam and he say its not Thamizh and the word 'kONham' is Sanskirit. Can you provide more insight into the root of the word 'kONham?'

Are there any synonyms for the word 'kONham' which mean angle.

kONham is also used in the saying like 'muthat kONham, muttrum kONham' in that saying does kONham stand for curve line? or angular shape?

We are having a discussion about the Thamizh Dragon yALi (or yAzhi?) under the 'Is Tamil derived from Sanskirit?' topic. Please participate.

nanRi, PaNhivu

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Thiru Nedunchezhian,

Forget about Tamil pandits. In my postings I have revealed their restrictive thinking. They have closed mind and unneccessarily they will expect exact view which are not at all required to derive something.

There won't be any difference with valaivu / Konam purely in literary sense. For mathematical purposes you can differentiate exactly the words.

'Ko' is 'suttu oli' to specify 'Uchchi' top. King was called as Ko. Kone also evolved from this root to specify King. 'Konam' evolved to specify the sharp edge or top point when two lines cross in certain angle. When two straight line turn (valaivu) someway to cross, the word 'Konal' is used. Deviating may be in line deviating in circular path or line itself bend circularly.

Always tamil pandits compare their language with sanskrit which is wrong. For example take miruthangam. Mathangam was used in tamil. Tamil pandits will say Mathangam turned miruthangam with Miru added just like methu turned miruthu. I say melithu - merithu- miruthu is the correct evolution.

'Koni' also specify this 'valaivu' and flexibility.

Kudamuzhukku is synonym to Kumpabhishekam.

Sanskrit was evolved from paly and prakrid which were offshoots of tamil before 4000 years back. So all sankrit words only evolved from tamil roots. Later phonetically changed / shriked tamil words seems to be sanskrit words.

f.s.gandhi

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Iraivan KadavuL theivam

Beside all of these religious influences and the belief in supreme being, the current words in use in Thamizh which specify supreme being, such as Iraivan, KadavuL, theivam, Bagavan, are they of Thamizh origin? I have recently read an article in which a Thamizh scholar argued that the word 'Iraivan' indicated King and not Supreme being (GOD). Moreover, the Thamizh Scholar said that 'Iraivan' is a better usage of Thamizh than the word 'Arasan.'

Not only that, the word Theivam is also found in ThirukkuraL in kural such as:
    "Theivaththal aakathu eninum muyatsithan
    meivaruththak kUli tharum"

Did ThiruvaLLuvar, really said that kuraL? or was it one of the inserted kural? What did Thiruvalluvar meant by Theivam? The word, Theivam is it Thamizh?

The Word Bagavan is believed to have come in usage in the latter centuries. Although the first ThirukkuraL says, "Bagavan"

"Akara muthala ezhuththellam aAthi
    bagavan muthattae ulagu"

In which some Thamizh scholars says that bagavan may have been mistook for the word 'bagalan' which meant 'sooriyan.' If so then how about the other kurals under the first chapter 'praising of the supreme being?'

Which other chapters were inserted into ThirukkuraL? What was the original name of Thiruvalluvar? What was the original name of Illango adigaL?

Does Thamizh have a Golden Mean, like the one Aristrotle found for the Western Philosophy? Are words categorized or can be categorized into being different and meaning different in accord with Golden Mean in Thamizh?

nanRi, paNhivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Thiri > Three??

//Aaram-saaram-saram is the evolution word saram. Saram means ‘Maalai’. Thiri + kone + Maalai = Thirikonemaalai turned thrikonemalai. Here Thiri = moontru / three. //

The word 'three' in English, did it come from a Latin or Greek root, which came from a Thamizh(Thiri) root?

nanRi, paNhivu

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TAMIL AND SANSKRIT

Quote Originally Posted by solomon
    From MosesMohammedSplomon:

FSG- I want you to look at the historical facts and not on wishful thinkings. Aryan Invasion was brought in By Maxmuller, Caldwell etc., and that is because they want to split Indians.
    When were the Indians united??? What is the caste system the the Rig Veda prescribed all about?? Is it not about spliting Indians??

I have facts and go by International consenses of Dating of Literature and where as you Spread false assumptions.
    Of course, of course! Cook up more 'facts' and go by 'International' consenses. Give more unknown names and unknown facts, and say 'Universities' support them.

Sanskrit Literature has its good as much as Tamil,
    Sanskrit has more filth than good! I just don't want to flood the Hub with those filth - I will if you insist on lying. We have all the filith from the Rig Veda to Ramayana to Mahabharata to Manu Smriti to KamaSutra. Do you want me to post them - I am sure the Admin won't like it - they are already having a bad time keeping the peace here!

and We do not have One Pre Sanskrit Tamil work.
    That is a blatant lie. And solomon, it does make to happy if Sanskrit is Older right??

We know this is not a right interpretation, but anybody can publish and another put it in Net and this will only put Indians as People-meaninglessly split and claim ubsurd roots and waste time.
    Looks like you are talking through your a.. If you can exhibit some of your 'linguistic' prowess in proving that the Sanskrit words named here are indeed of Sanskritc orgin - Please do. Else stay away from commenting on roots of words. YOu lack the skill.

Archeology is the best to guide and based on Stone Inscriptions the Tholkappiyam can be never dated earlier than 200-150 BCE,
    Why can't it be??

and first Tamil inscriptions are done after Samane North Indians wrote it in their scripts- the Tamil words, Tamil did not have previous scripts, atleast in pre-500 years prior to 500 BCE, Indus Seals, if you cut the Missionaries, 50% read it as Sanskrit and 50% as Proto-Tamil, but with morethan 4000 types of Pictures, they are more Picotorial than Scriptal.
    What has the scripts got to do with the Language. Scripts can be changed anytime. There was no Devanagari Script for Sanskrit until fairly recently. Sanskrit had never a sricpt of its own. It was written in the regional scripts - Telegu, Gujarati, Tamil (Grantha), Bengali, etc.

Then by your logic, Sanskrit is just as old as Devanagari Script - about 800 years old.

with Sanskrit on the insistence of Clergy becoming a Grammatical language, giving way to Pali and Prakrits.
    No, it is the other way round - Pali, Prakrits and the Dravidian Lanauges gave birth to Sanskrit.

We have Pali Books telling Vedic/Ramayan/Mahabaat stories and these books have gone to neibouring countries in 250BCE, Asokan periods, now you bluff, no Vedas till 100 BCE, would be childish.
    That's nonsense!

RSS is not a bad word thought I have no connection with it or accept its ideologies, its much better than Dravidians Parties of Tamilnadu, who now follow Varnasramadharma of putting Sons and Grandsons in all Posts.
    YOu affiliation is clear -- you are a Vedic stooge, an anti-Tamil and you are fast becoming an anti-Idiappam. Take care my boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Thiru Nedunchezhian,

Eventhough theivam / eraivan have meaning as king all forefathers / the death people were worshipped for remembrance of their heroic deeds which would induce youngers to excell well in life. Later they were worshipped in "Nadukal vazhipadu". Tamils of Thiruvalluvar days had the belief that their ancestors would protect them in their hardships.

Apart from "Nadugal worship" there were natural god worshippers.
    Inthiran(marutha nilam), Varunan (sea land),Mayon(now thirumal), Kotravai, Murugan were gods of 5 lands of tamil culture. I have already expressed this in "Tamil is elder to Sanskrit" column quoting (1250 BCE) Tholkappiam.

"Meen" word created from "Min" root. Things which had "Minnuthal" tendency was named as meen. Vinmeen is one of that word. And since tamil invented "marakkalam" they got stronghold of sea roots and they were called "thiraiyar". Thirai means "alai". You can observe in all meditaranean sea languages this word 'meen' introduced by tamils. Kindly visit "Some tamil words in world languages" column.

For 'three' evolution kindly visit 'Amateur etymology' column in English literature.

I have already talked about the word "Pakavan"- in "thinamum oru vaarththai" column. Pakavu means 'olirvu'. Pakattu is from this root turned pattu - a silk saree. Pakavan specifies 'Suriyan" a natural god of tamils. The earth is based on Pakavan. That is why valluvar talks about that. Suriyan in turn is tamil word from root 'Sur'. Suram,suraththal are from this root.

Dear Nedunchezhian, due to Atheist movement in tamilNadu this kind of queries came into your mind. Actually during valluvar time tamils worshipped natural gods. We have to take all the meaning of kurals in that perspective only. Not vedhic idol worship pattern.
    Infact the Idol worship came into being later by the influence of tamil natural gods worshipping.

f.s.gandhi

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast