Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hindu gets a new look!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hindu gets a new look!

THE HINDU crosses another rubicon with its new look starting this Tamil New Year!

- Download PDF - 26 MB

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thnewlook.pdf

Flood of rave reviews from readers:
    http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/15/stor...1505981200.htm

The professional style of writing is not going to change. So the jazzy and attractive setup doesn't really matter. TOI, New Ind. Xpress, run for your lives!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    For guys like me who don't agree with the management philosophy,it doesn't make a difference.Sorry walrus for giving negative vibes with the very first post in this thread but what to do,that's how I feel

Post Thanks / Like
    what is management philosophy? ur office doesnt get hindu?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    what is management philosophy? ur office doesnt get hindu?
    Nakkal? .Ok,let me make it clear,I don't agree with the political views of the editorial board of the Hindu.So,it doesn't make a difference to me whether they have a new look or an old look.Am I making myself very clear Anyway don't ask why I posted when I don't like the paper,I felt like posting -again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always felt for years that Business Line was much much better than Eco Times. Very strong on stats - Finance and IT. EcoTimes was good in Marketing and Ad news.

However, nearly every company I visited had Eco Times and Fin Express. Eco Times often has MBA 2nd year students writing for them. The Hindu's dull look was never the right choice for offices to place on their coffee tables. Since mostly software engineers take short breaks from their desks, the racy titbits from TOI, Deccan Herald suits them better. Unlike Hindu which goes for depth.

With the new look and increased pics, Hindu will be a strong contender now outside of TN.

Your worldview is shortsighted. Its like saying Adhiparasakthi college of Engg lecturer and author of I year Math textbook Ponnusamy is smarter than Abul Kalam anyway like ur honesty though

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder whats going to be the main thrust of Hindu now. Apparently they might make a bid for a bigger market outside of south..just my guess that they might come up with a compumag in a couple of years. Considering that competitor papers are much much cheaper, they might go all-out in the magazine markets. Frontline still looks old-fashioned. Sportstar has lost heavily after satellite TV. Looks like they have woken up and might focus on the IT and electronic segment. Indian Express started Express Computer in 1994 and left them way behind now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Your worldview is shortsighted. Its like saying Adhiparasakthi college of Engg lecturer and author of I year Math textbook Ponnusamy is smarter than Abul Kalam anyway like ur honesty though
    Was that aimed at me?

Also can someone tell me if the Deccan chronicle has started a chennai edition-saw their ad on Sun Tv a couple of days back.

Walrus,
    The Hindu is without doubt the most indepth paper available, atleast in SouthIndia.I also don't believe that they are changing their look only to attract the young crowd(not a generalization) becos to retain them they will have to get down to the level of TOI which will be blasphemy.Yes,a new look will make it attractive to the crowd who don't have a problem with their penchant for details&too analytical style of reporting but never got down to reading it in the first place.It will also excite the loyal ones who were used to a particular look.But for people like me who vehemently disagree with the kind of politics,politicians the Hindu supports,it becomes very difficult to subscribe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    The Hindu is without doubt the most indepth paper available, atleast in SouthIndia.I also don't believe that they are changing their look only to attract the young crowd(not a generalization) becos to retain them they will have to get down to the level of TOI which will be blasphemy.
    Yes of course, Hindu has never focussed on the young crowd as a potential market. For several years now, they have never aimed at reducing the price of their publications.
    (India Today slashed price from Rs.15 to Rs.10. Week, Outlook, India Today offer prizes and bonanzas to subscribers. Nothing of that sort in Frontline and its still at Rs.15. The Hindu paper has always been steadily increasing in price - quite understandable since the standard of the paper they print as always been superior to others despite the rising printing costs.
    Their Annual Compendiums like Indian Cricket, The Hindu Speaks on Music, Indian Agriculture regularly goes up by Rs.15 every year. I got Indian Cricket for Rs.25 or Rs.30 in 1983, now its Rs.125 or Rs.150 I think).

Since their revenues haven't been mind boggling I guess they are targeting the niche corporate market now, feeling that their detailed and indepth content will take them through. From TN they are showing increasing interest in Level 2 cities of AP and Karnataka, looks like thats going to be their focus now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    But for people like me who vehemently disagree with the kind of politics,politicians the Hindu supports,it becomes very difficult to subscribe.
    What do you mean by this? You pick a paper based on its focus on quality issues and not how perfectly it matches your emotions!!

What politicians does it support?? Did any political party come to their support when Jayalalitha harassed them for 10 years from 1995?

Hindu was full of praise for JJ till about '94. Then after the a report on the advocates Vijayan assault case(May 27 1995) and also that on Shanmugasundaram, ADMK indulged in goondaism and threats and the relationship broke off.

Atleast when you say Hindu, you can immediately think of R.Mohan, S.Thyagarajan, Nirmal Shekhar, Gowri Ramnarayanan, S.Gangadhar and a dozen other reliable professionals who have been tops in their fields(Geet Sethi, Prakash Padukone, Ramesh Krishnan)...Give me that kind of paper any time then some guy who knows nothing about the subject and merely jumps from TOI, IE, etc for a living, which is what happens in nearly all other Indian newspapers.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how I missed the topic. I am against Hindu too, but not for the reasons Cinefan mentioned. As walrus mentioned I think it is still one of the few papers that atleast have best in the business to write on their subject matters. But I generally have a feeling that "The Hindu" charges a lot for people in TN. I don't understand the reason why is it priced atleast twice than "HT" ,"Deccan Herald" or a "TOI" in their respective areas (Delhi, Bangalore OR Mumbai respectively). Even the same Hindu is lot cheaper in B'lore and Delhi than in TN.

Hope Deccan Chronicle gives a good run for their money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krishnan
    I am against Hindu too, but not for the reasons Cinefan mentioned.
    So what are the reasons for which you oppose the Hindu? Pls share them

But I generally have a feeling that "The Hindu" charges a lot for people in TN. I don't understand the reason why...
    Either due to:
    1. Since they have no competition, they want to extract as much as possible - which is deplorable

OR

2. a. Outside TN, substandard papers like TOI, Asian Age make hay with sleazy contents that sell. Plus they dont compromise on the quality of the print - glossy and top grade paper. Since they lag behind in sales they have to hike the price atleast.
    b. They have a number of other publications like Frontline, BusinessLine and unlike Week, Outlook, India Today they dont accept sleazy advertising(ads featuring supermodels, booze companies, condom companies, etc)
    c. From a and b, keep the price as high as possible(For example,
    even an ecopy of the Sportstar(for those in India) is Rs.90 while hardcopy price is Rs.10. Dont even think of the ecopy for NRIs)

Hope Deccan Chronicle gives a good run for their money.
    And why the angst?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast