Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All about baking

Hybrid View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

All about baking

Hi all,

This thread is exclusively to discuss about baking...recipes for cakes cookies,doubts abt baking etc etc... Sry to say,I don't have any good recipe or tip to post now ... But,I hope I will see contributions from fellow hubbers soon...

Though this contradicts my other thread(Healthy lifestyle) , I would love to learn the basics of baking & try to make it healthier... Anyway,cookies & cakes can be a 'once in a while food' ....So,Happy Baking... But remember, Sensible Eating...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ALL,
    Let me post you one of my favourite recipes. I tried it once when there were some guests coming home and i had no idea what to make for dessert. It really came out very well and i make it regularly now.
    and its healthy too dev!!

Apple crisps:
    You will need,
    Puff pastry sheets 1packet( this available in our regular grocery's freezer section, usually peppridgefarm's is the brand i use).
    Apples 5 mix of 2 red delicous,1 granny smith and 2 gala /fuji apples. I recommend this mix because the apples have to be sweet and tart for this recipes. slice it thinly with the skins.
    sugar 1cup
    cinnamon powder 1tsp
    or elaichi powder 1tsp
    Method
    Thaw thw puff pastry sheets according to instructions.
    Mix the apples with sugar and the spices.
    take the sheets and fill them with the apples and seal the edges with water or egg wash.
    bake in the preheated oven @ 375 for about 35mins or until the puff pastry is crisp and flaky.
    cut and serve it warm with a scoop of icecream.
    Belive me this is very yummy.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

hi

Hi bhargavi!
    Thanku
    But one Q
    What is meant by "Thaw" the pastry sheet?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Saritha,
    The pastry sheet is usually frozen . Thatwhy u get it in freezer section. so before making the recipe,you need to thaw it or bring the pastry sheet to room temprature ,so that its flexible and you can work with it. Thawing is a procress where you naturally allow any frozen product to come back to its orginal temprature by removing it from the freezer about 4-5 hrs prior to cooking.

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Friends,
    I am posting Snow Ball Cookie. It is very tasty and u will get good reviews from ppl and they will think u r so good in baking!

But not like stove top recipes...Baking requires exact measurement of items. Hope u all enjoy this recipe which has no Egg in it. And also my recipes are taken form the net. The only thing is i tested the recipe and got good results.

Snow Ball Cookie

Ingredients:

1/2 cup toasted almonds(with out skin)
    1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:
    1 cup Powdered sugar

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Toast Nuts: Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant. Cool.

Put the cooled nuts and 2 tablespoons of the 1 cup of confectioners sugar into a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Finely grind the nuts and set aside.
    Cream the butter and remaining confectioners sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the vanilla extract. Add the flour and salt and beat until combined. Stir in the nuts. Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour or until firm.
    Form the dough into 1 inch (2.54 cm) balls and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake about 15 -20 minutes, or until lightly brown in color.
    Cool cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes and while cookies are still warm, roll them in the powdered sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool. When cookies have cooled, roll them again in the confectioners sugar to give them a nice even coating of sugar.
    Store in an airtight container. Makes 3-4 dozen.

If u follow exactly the above procedure u will get good result. Happy Baking!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of my fav cookies and easy to do at home.
    Thumb print cookies:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter ; 1/4 cup shortening (can be margarine); 1/4 cup brown sugar; 1 egg-separated; 1/2 tsp. vanilla; 1 cup flour; 1/4 tsp. salt; 3/4 cup chopped pecans; jelly or tinted frosting.

Method: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Work in flour and salt until dough holds together. Shape dough by teaspoons into 1" balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts. Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet and press thumb deeply into center of each. Bake about 10 minutes or till light brown. Remove from cookie sheet; cool on racks. Fill thumbprints with jelly or frosting. Recipe is small; I always double it. you can try rolling in diff variety of nuts.

Kz

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kavitha & Bhargavi!! very interesting!!! will try the recipes. I dont use eggs as my daughter is allergic.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Eggless chocolate cake

This tastes really yummy and is very easy to make. It tastes even better with a scoop of vanilla icecream

EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 1/2 c. flour
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. soda
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    6 tbsp. oil
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 c. cold water

Sift together flour, sugar, salt, soda and cocoa. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into 8"x8" pan. Bake at 325 to 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until baked.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Eggless cake

Try this eggless cake

EGGLESS CAKE

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
    1 cup of sugar
    125 grms of butter
    1 tsp soda bicarbonate

2 cups self-rising flour
    ¼ cup of milk
    1 cup grated carrot or mixed fruits
    Or 1 cup of mashed banana with little lime juice

Method:
    Boil water,sugar,and butter till butter melts.
    Let it cool nicely,add 1 tsp of soda bicarbonate.
    Slowly add in the flour, milk, and the carrot.
    Add essence according to ingredients added.
    Bake for 1 hour at 180 o C
    Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Pav Buns

Argh... seems like I clicked on new topic. Mods please delete the pav buns thread if possible.

Here is my take on it. Tried the recipe with sheer intuition Smile

3 cup bread flour ( not the all purpose)
    2.5 tsp(1 sachet) active dry yeast
    1cup +3tbsp @110 F water
    1 .5 tsp salt
    3 tbsp milk powder
    2.5 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp sugar

Mix all the dry ingrediants first. addin water till it forms a nice dough ( breadmachine mixes up excellent dough) Make 16 round balls out of the dough and leave it on a baking sheet adjestant to each other for about an hour. preheat the oven @ 350 F bake the buns for about 15 minutes till lightly brown.

Optional: Make glaze by beating together water and egg white in a small dish. Brush rolls with glaze before baking.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast