Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Couple of reasons why you should'nt take Dowry

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Friends,
    Ok no one should take dowry or give dowry.
    I am dead against that barbaric custom.
    But this topic calls for the following question which needs to be addressed properly.

Please explain me why people should not evolve a process by which their daughters are given fair share of property.

Nichiro

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichiro
    Please explain me why people should not evolve a process by which their daughters are given fair share of property.
    Nichiro
    Dear Nichiro,
    Your question is a valid one.

This is one of root cause of dowry. If the ancestral property is equally divided between the kids irespective of gender differences, dowry system may disappear soon.

The another one casue is the materialistic expectations of bride as well as their parents. Most of them want a groom with highly paid, so-called highly educated and a stable positions. Most of the advertisements in matrimonial columns are just like "sale". Recently I had been asked to place an "advt" for one of my relative. When I forwarded the responses back to them, the first question asked to me is that about the salary of each one who responded. If some one expect materialistic gains, then they may have to pay for it (just like buying and selling). As long as marriage is based on materialistic expectations. It is nonsensical to blame dowry in those cases. In order to eradicate this, we should encourage the future generation to go for love marraiges irrespespective of intercaste, inter religious and interracial issues.
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mates!
    Actually there is a law for equal share of property between siblings irrespective of gender.
    If girls go to court then that's it mamu!
    We people are clever to hoodwink them in name of culture.
    If parents give their daughter, their original fair share(which they are mostly not doing) it will prevent any legal battle with their siblings in future.

Even if the daughters get a fair share will they be able to provide support to parents/handle family matters as equal as sons do? That's the thing parents are apprehensive about.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678