Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Palakkad recipes

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sowmya, R
    When making 'paal payasam' do I put the rice and milk directly into the cooker or should I put it in a bowl and then place in the cooker with a little water at the bottom?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi tomato
    I am not sure if you can use cooker base directly cos have prepared in small quantities only so far..
    Regards
    Sowmya

Post Thanks / Like

molagushiyam..

Hi All
    This dish is the palakkad version of Milagu kuzhambu.Ideal preparation on a rainy day or when you are suffering from cold/cough and tongue demands something spicy .

Molagushiyam
    ingredients
    tamarind extract from a lemon sized ball
    pepper-1/4 cup
    curry leaves-3/4 cup
    pepper:curry leaves ratio=1:3 or you can make it 1:4 or more depending on spice levels
    gingelly oil-3 tbsps
    jeera-1tsp(optional)
    mustard seeds

proc:
    Grind pepper,curry leaves and jeeragam into a fine thick paste.Make a thick extract of tamarind. Take a kadai with gingelly oil.Allow
    mustard to splutter ,add the tamarind extract,allow the raw smell to subside,add the ground mixture,salt and boil well till a good aroma comes.Make sure you use gingelly oil only to get a good taste.
    Note:If the consistency of the dish is too thick ,you can dilute it a little.It has a good shelf life -about 1 week minimum when refrigerated.

Post Thanks / Like

snacks..

Hi all
    I am posting a couple of simple snacks.A sweet one and a spicy one which are very simple to make and tasty too.

Nenthram pazha fry/toast

Ingredients

Ripe nenthram pazham-2 ( make sure it is not over ripe)
    Ghee -2tbs
    Sugar -2tbs
    proc:
    Remove skin of bananas and cut into circular slices.Grease a flat griddle/frying pan with ghee.When it is hot, place the banana pieces in it and smear some ghee on topof each slice. Let it
    become light golden brown on one side.flip it over and cook the side coated with ghee.Remove from fire. .sprinkle sugar on the top when it is still hot to ensure that sugar spreads evenly.Serve when hot.

Ammini Kozhukattai
    This is a simple type of kozhukatai and easier to make.. no filling etc..
    Ingredients
    Rice Flour - 1 cup
    Water - 1 1/2 cup
    ginger - 1 piece (finely chopped)
    green chillies-4 (acc to taste)-finely chopped
    Asafoetida powder- 2 pinches(optional)
    thinly sliced coconut pieces-a few(optional)
    coriander leaves.- a handful
    Oil - 2 tbsp
    Mustard - 1/2 tsp
    Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
    Salt to taste
    proc:
    In a heavy bottomed vessel,take gingelly oil,splutter mustard seeds,urad dhal,add ginger,green chillies,curry leaves,asafoetida.Add water and allow it to boil.Add the rice flour in small portions stirring continuously to avoid lumps.. Add salt to taste. Keep stirring till it thickens.Cool it sufficiently.Add coriander leaves and thinly sliced coconut pieces.Mix well.Roll into
    small balls the size of marbles (Apply a little oil on your hands). Steam the balls for 5 minutes.Allow it to cool.Serve.

type 2
    Instead of green chillies,ginger etc use can use chilli powder and salt alone.Procedure is the same.. Boil water,add chilli powder,oil mix well,allow it to boil and then add the rice flour.

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey friends,
    my second question is, the sweet snack made with aval,brownsugar/vellam,little whole sugar,ect. I forgot rest of the ingredients. That sweet snack is loose variesty like mixture ect.

The person gave me to taste the snack didn't tell the name of it. So pls tell the name or recipe for the same. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Hi Kavitha
    From your description.. the best guess I could make is "Ganapathy homam prasadam".It has the ingredients you have given+ coconut slices,sometimes dry fruits as well+banana slices.
    I too hope somebody can come up with some solid explanation..

Regards
    Sowmya

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kavitha, is it aval nanachathu or aval vilyachitu. we make it using poha and jaggery. my mom used to put little cardamom and grated coconut.

Post Thanks / Like

Recipe

Hi Anju
    Can you post the recipe for the same?My mom used to prepare it too and we call it "Aval cheluthinathu".But probably the consistency was not uthir uthira right?

Regards
    Sowmya

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot sowmiya and a.gobinathan.
    It is not ganapathi homam prasadam. It is not a wet snack. It is dry aval which has added jaggery,whole sugar here and there,raisin ect. I think we can keep this snack for a while since it a dry one.

I searched in the web for 'aval nanachadhu', got result but seems it a wet aval. If not let me know i like to try. Otherwise pls give me a name for dry aval snack i m refereing. Hope i am not bugging u guys. I am sorry.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sowmya,

i"ll get the recepie from my amma and post it there..in two days, okay?

kavitha, aval vilayichathu is a dry snack. i dont know the recepie. we get it i n the local bakeries in kerala. what i am referrig to is aval nanachathu, which is wet.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast