Thread: Palakkad recipes

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

plakad

Dear Sowmya, my mother-in law's mother makes erisseri exactly tha same way as yours.
    She said it was taught by her mother's cook who came from Kerala.
    Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Hi kavitha
    Thanks.You have taken real efforts to compare and verify things.This note from you encourages me.

Thanks
    Sowmya

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Sowmya,
    Could you post the palakkad version of 'Paal Payasam'. Had it ages ago at my classmate's home, still remember the superb taste !
    I believe they use just milk , sugar & a handful of rice, no condensed milk, not even cashews & raisins. Hope you know this heavenly tasting payasam recipe ?
    Thanks & bye,
    Indu.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

U r right... U just need to add rice(1 or 2 tbsp) to a litre of milk & keep on cooking till the rice is done... Keep stirring or can put it in the cooker too... Then add suger to ur taste & cook for further 10-15 mins until it thickens... his tastes heavenly when served chilled... An easier version is to use leftover rice...cook it with milk for 1 or 2 whistles... then add sugar & cook till it thickens...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    To get better taste, this is what I do. Using basmathi rice will give extra flavor than our regular rice. And, fry the rice in a tsp of ghee till the color changes slightly and powder it alongwith cardamom like rava. Then, cook rice with enough milk in the cooker for 2 whistles and sim for 30 mts so that you will get the orange color and the flavor of condensed milk. Later switch off the stove, and add sugar and stir for some time till it dissolves completely.

Adding more rice will get you thick kheer and if you need like payasam, can reduce the qty.

Good luck.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also in kerala, we use a kind of rice called unkallari..i dont know the english name..but its slightly reddish in color. we use this for making pal payasam. i get this in indian store here is us also

Post Thanks / Like

recipes

Hi
    just thought will post the recipes for Arachu vitta sambar and pavakkai pitlai to highlight the minor differences between the 2.
    My understanding is that generally Arachu vitta sambar is referred to as pitlai(please correct me if I am wrong!),but in palakkad dictionary they are 2 different items.

1.Arachuvitta sambar
    This is the type of sambar we generally prepare on festive occassions.
    Ingredients:

Dry Chillies 6-8 (or to your taste);
    2 Tbspns Coriander Seeds;
    2tsps channa dhal
    1/4 tspn Methi Seeds;
    1/2 Coconut Scraped
    curry leaves- a few (about 8-10)
    2 Pinches of Asafoetida powder
    1 small ball of tamarind;
    Vegetables -lady's finger,brinjal,pumpkin,drumstick (any one veg will do or a combination of vegs is also preferred)
    1 Cup cooked Tur Dhal;
    Salt to Taste
    1 Tbspn oil

For Seasoning:

1/2 tspn Mustard Seeds,
    2 Tbspns of Oil or Ghee;

For Garnishing:

finely cut Coriander Leaves -1/4 cup.

Fry and Grind:
    Take some oil in a kadai and add methi seeds first.fry for a minute,add channa dhal fry for a minute,add dhania,red chillies and finally curry leaves.Fry till the mixture becomes golden brown.When dhania seeds begin popping up it means the frying is sufficient.The ratio of ingredients I generally use is channa dhal: dhania :coconut 1:1.5:2 and been getting good results.
    Allow the above to cool and grind with coconut.
    note:we add coconut as it is without frying and it gives a nice flavour too.

Method:

Extract the Tamarind place it on fire & bring to
    boil. Lower flame add the
    Vegetables, salt,turmeric powder, asafoetida powder & cook till
    vegetables are done. Add the ground mixture and allow it to blend well with the veg and tamarind water.
    Mash the cooked toor dhal well and add to the mixture.Mix well and heat till required.Season with mustard seeds and garnish with coriander.

2.pavakkai Pitlai
    ingredients
    Bitter gourd -1 big .(sliced into small pieces after removing seeds)
    small lemon sized ball of tamarind
    cooked toor dhal-1 cup
    jaggery- a small pice
    coconut -2tbsp
    urad dhal-1tsp
    channa dhal-1tsp
    asafoetida- a small piece
    dry red chillies 3-4(acc to taste)

proc:
    Fry the bitter gourd pieces well in oil and keep it aside.

Fry &Grind:urad dhal,chana dhal,asafoetida,red chillies and coconut till the coconut turns golden brown.Grind the same into a smooth paste.

prepare tamarind extract,boil the same,add the bittergourd slices,ground mixture,salt, cooked dhal.Add a small piece of jaggery finally.season with mustard and urad dhal.

Note: the difference between sambar and pitlai:
    In pitlai we fry coconut and asafoetida,add jaggery.

You can prepare this pitlai using other bitter vegs like fresh Chundakai,fresh manathakkali.Crush the chundakai slightly before adding to the pitlai.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Sowmya,

Just to let you know-we add one fourth qty of channa dhal alongwith thoor dal while cooking for pavakkai pitlai.

And for kathirikkai pitlai, we add white channa(kondakadalai) alongwith eggplant!!

Rgds.

Post Thanks / Like

paal payasam

Hi Indu
    Here is the recipe for paal payasam.

paal payasam
    igredients
    milk - 4 cups ( whole milk or arogya as in TN)
    sugar-1 1/2-2 cups acc to taste)
    raw rice (broken into 2)-2tbsp
    cardomom powder-a pinch
    saffron-a pinch(optional)

Proc:
    In a heavy bottomed vessel add milk,allow it to boil,add raw rice.Heat on a low flame.The rice should get cooked in the milk itself.Keep stirring occassionally.Once the milk thickens

(chunda kaichal) add sugar,cardamom powder and saffron and continue heating for some more time till the right consistency is reached.(probably about 10 mins)You will be able to recognise seeing the colour.It'll be creamish yellow.It's a long process... and probably the sugar consumption is also on the higher side since it's condensed milk free.
    Tip:
    Here is a valueable piece of information from R
    And for paal payasam, even for 3 to 4 cups of milk, pressure cooker is fine(can reduce the simmer time & 1 whistle is enough). If you cook directly, the milk will raise or stick at the bottom;
    but with cooker, dont have to worry and also, get the color, smell easily.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast