Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Palakkad recipes

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dev
    BTW unga orula "vazhaithandu" kidaikkuma?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kidaikum... Mustafa-la regular-aa paarthu iruken...but enaku clean panna theriyaathanaala vaanginathu illai... U can find it in many grocery shops in little India... vaazhaithandu, vaalai poo, murungai keerai, agathi keerai, vallarai keerai, gongura, methi(not always but I find it freq in stock in the last few months) ellam kidaikum...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,
    Split out the thick outer portion (for storage and transportation purposes this portion is retained by mechants). Then cut the narrow pith in cross-section. Each time you cut you will get fibres coming out. Remove the fibers. Another method is after chopping into small pieces (Always put chopped pieces in water, else it will become discoloured very quickly), use a long needle (the one used for frying pappadum) or chop-sticks and stir the water along with the pieces. This will collect all the extra fibres out. Be careful never to touch your cloths with banana-stem. No detergent promises you remove the stain!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sowmya,
    Traditionally in Palakkad, horse-gram (muthirai or koLLu) is used instead of black-eyed beans, in your recipe. The heat of the horse-gram is nullifyied by the cold of the banana stem.

Post Thanks / Like
    More on banana-stem though it is out of context in the recipe thread: It is part and parcel of Mallu tradition especially in Palakkad. All houses will have banana trees atleast one. Namboothiri Brahmins still put a piece of banana-stem as part of firewood in the funeral pyre to remember how Aadi Sankaracharya lit a funeral pyre entirely of banana stem (though fresh banana stem never burns) for his mother. An entire sanctum-sanctorum (ambalam) is built with banana stems only, for consecrating Lord Ayyappa inside it, for "Ayyappan ViLakku" Poojai.
    Here there is no 'I'

Post Thanks / Like

banana stem..

Hi Braandan
    That's a cute piece of info on Banana stem.I have seen the sanctum-sanctorum built with banana stems only, and have always admired it...

Regards
    Sowmya

Post Thanks / Like
    Braandan has given a clear picture.. anyways here is my input.

Plantain stem cleaning procedure:

Gen.. if you look at the horizontal section of a cut stem piece you will notice 2 layers..The outer one should be removed completely.It will be brittle in nature and will break if you try to.The inner layer will be firm and solid and this is the edible section of the stem.Cut the stem into discs... a sticky thread like structure will cling on to your knife..basically the fibre part.Remove it and continue cutting.Once done with the stem cutting completely ,assemble the cut discs in groups of 3-4 and cut them into cubes.

The cut cubes should be immersed immediately in a bowl of water mixed with a drop of curds or turmeric to prevent the discolouration of the cut pieces.Replace the water with fresh water
    before cooking then proceed.

Dev
    After reading the elaborate cleaning technique are you contemplating whether to cook it right? But you will love it once you start consuming it , + it has very good medicinal property..prevents kidney stone formation when consumed regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Braandan
    Will try the vazhaithandu Kollu combo next time

Regards
    sowmya

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    This is an authentic palakkad recipe which was formerly posted in Family recipes thread.had a chance to try it and it was fabulous.Here is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dsankaran
    This is my grandmom's recipe. My grandparents are from Palghat. However I am not sure if this belongs to Palghat Iyer cuisine as I have never seen this made in any other household.

Mudurai Kootaan:
    -------------------

Mudurai (I don't know another name for this. When I asked my grandmom she said that she doesn't know the Tamil name for this as she always bought it from a Keralite store. However from the looks and taste, horsegram seems to be the closest choice) - 1 cup
    Fresh Coconut - 1.5 cups grated
    Cumin seeds - 1.25 tsp
    Dried red chillies - 2 (or can substitute 1 tsp of whole black pepper)
    Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
    Curry leaves - 1 sprig
    Jaggery - about 1/2 tsp powdered (optional)
    Coconut oil - 1 tsp
    Salt - to taste

Method:
    Soak the Mudurai overnight (Clean it off stones and dust first)
    Drain the soaked water and pressure cook this with fresh water and a pinch of turmeric.
    Cool the cooked Mudurai and mash it with the back of a heavy ladle. (I use the hand blender for about 30 secs)

Dry roast the Jeera, Urad dal, chillies or black pepper slightly until the flavors come out. Cool and grind with fresh coconut and curry leaves. You can increase the quantity of black pepper if you like.. but we always have it mild at home.

Mix the mudurai with the ground mixture and add water to get a pourable consistency. Add salt and let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes until the raw smell of chillies disappears.

Add the jaggery powder and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. (This is optional and can be ignored if you don't like the sweetness)

Switch off the stove, pour warm coconut oil and leave the vessel closed for about 1/2 hour.

Can be eaten with rice and paruppu thogaiyal.

- D

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to dsankaran and Sowmya for that muthirai koottaan. Muthirai itself is a Tamil word, some call it kollu (just like "kezhviragu" (ragi)is also called "keppai"). Muthirai is one among the 9 "navadhaanyam"s and belongs to "Kethu" among the "navagrahaas".

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast