View Poll Results: On What Grounds.. You "LIKE" Thamizh-Isai ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • My MOTHER-TONGUE irrespective of Musical value

4 14.29%
  • Thamizh SWEET LANGUAGE + Sweet-music

16 57.14%
  • Known Language + Sweet-Music

5 17.86%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. NO Equally GOOD Sahithyas like Telugu & Kannada

3 10.71%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. Some Other Reason

0 0%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Great THAMIZH - ISAI !

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Present method of teaching music is said to have been devised by PurandaraDasa.So, the first raga a student is taught is usually MayamalavaGowla

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Papanasam Shivam and Koteeshwara Iyer also composed songs in each of the 72 melakartas like Dikshitar.Koteeshwara Iyer's grandson K.Veeramani is also a devotional singer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sudhaama and Idiappam
    Please listen to this wonderful jugalbandhi of Chitravina Ravikiran and Gaurav Mazumdar(on Sitar).

The RTP in charukesi is simply superb.This concert was in Music Academy,chennai.
    http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/6/s/artist.354/

Post Thanks / Like
    Idiappam
    I do not think anyone wants to insult Thamizh and Kannada songs.Most of the carnatic musicans are Tamils!!!
    They are required to sing all songs with equal devotion to God irrespective of the time duration(that is their dharma)

Also,there are lot of new things coming up in Carnatic music.Especially,more interactions with Hindustani music,new instruments like mandolin,guitar,saxophone,keyboard etc are getting introduced in music
    Also,carnatic musicians are learning new songs like Bengali songs,Marathi abhangs,hindi bhajans.Madurai Mani Iyer even sang a english note(but heard that if a westerner listens to that,he'll have a poor opinion of carnatic musicians!!! )
    Also, modern day musicans are interacting in the world wide level like L.Subramanian,Ravikiran etc.
    With the current technologies like DVD,CD's ,carnatic music is reaching audience throughout the world.
    It is really good time for it and musicians and let us pray for its success to Lord Shiva. As long as HE blesses it,nobody can destroy it.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="Idiappam"]The popular 'Carnatic music' is just about 250 years old! At least, that's what you hear in concerts - songs of the Trinity, a couple of thousand songs - sung over and over again and again by ALL artists - starting with 'Vathapi ganapathim', then 'Ramanee samana mevaru', then 'mariyatha kathura' then 'varamu lasaki'.

Aiyaiyo samy - the same story every concert.

Really dont know if its worth a reply...this is both the most shocking and also simultaneously the most hilarious statement ive heard idiappam..and im pleasantly amused that u have cheerleaders who laud this as well! anywayz...each one is entitled to his views. perhaps uve been terribly unlucky to have heard those 3-4 kritis u mentioned...that is ur problem, not carnatic music's...probably ur choice of artists was pathetic,...the number of kritis composed by sri tyagraja itself is over 20,000 of which nearly 1300 are in vogue right now--as in sung or played by musicians..purandara dasa has composed over a lakh kritis of which a number of them r sung --as tailenders may be, but nonetheless...

and so what if carnatic music is 'just 250 years old'??? just because smthing is ancient it doesnt mean its the BEST! that way cave man's art was as ancient as u can get,.,,so why not eulogise that as well...

There is nothing new anymore in Carnatic music no longer. What's Tamil Isai?? Why is 'carnatic music' and infertile offshoot of Tamil Isai?? What existed before the Trinity?? Who coined the word 'Karnataka Sangeeth' - and when?

im sure uve never heard of anything called 'manodharma sangita'..where an artist improvises extemporaneously...each concert is new...for the artist and the listener...the alapanai, neraval, kalpanaswaram or RTP wouldnt be the same the next day if u hear the same artist..and still u say therz nothing new in carnatic music...my plea---dont make generalised theories based on ur sad experiences...as far the infertile shoot--i already said in another thread that it was too base a thing to say...carnatic music is an evolved version of the ancient tamizh isai and draws from it no doubt...its like an upgraded windows version man. 24 or 27 panhs of tamizh isai...versus 72 melakartha ragas(ohhh the same word which supposedly 'bewilders common man'...wonder why or how!!) and innumerable janya ragas or derivative ragas...obviously the scope of the canvas is bigger in the latter and hence its the former which is an infertile old version...

What are ploys these Carnatics used to bewilder the ordinary man to keep him away from music? The Melakartha?? What's happening? And what happened??

again a wonderfully hilarious stmnt..man, u entertain big time!! i didnt know the word melakartha scared u so much...anywayz...Putthandu Nal vazthugaL! ur zeal for the language is admirable...i just request u to keep it within the limits of rational thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vikram
    Purandaradasa is supposed to have composed about 4,75,000 kritis.

Muthu Thandavar,Marimuthu Pillai ,Arunasala Kaviraayar composed for the sake of God.They were not interested in competing with any one.Similarily, trinity composed for the sake of God and for HIM only.All these great souls would be pained that what they have composed & language they composed has now become a point of contention!!! They just wont be bothered about such mundane things.They were devoted to GOD and only to sing his praise they composed.
    So,the intention of singers should be to capture the bhakthi of these great souls.Language was never an issue for the composers as well as singers!

Even for the Chennai rasikas who flock to concert halls during the december season,language has never been an issue.
    The core is bhakthi and music just elevates them there.Nothing else matters, atleast for me.

If you listen to the link I gave,jugalbandhi of RTP in Charukesi by Ravikiran and gaurav,it is simply superb.The music just elevates you to a higher plane.Music has no langauge and it is a language of its own.

Post Thanks / Like
    A sad state of affairs here
    ===========================

http://www.sangeetham.com/others/arc...Focus&pass=yes

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahahaha! Mr Sampath. You words are edging on mockery and comments on me. Keep your cool and just comment on what I say, will ye!

If you read carefully again, my posts, you would note that I have no complains about the Composers - Telegu, Sanskrit or Kanada or whatever.

It is the progressive suppression of Tamil Songs in concerts, that I wish to address here, besides a few other 'defects' of carnatic music.

Episodes next comming up!

BTW, Mr Vikram, how many ragas are used in Carnatic music???

Post Thanks / Like
    viggop..i dont understand when i ver contested ur claim on bhakti and the fact that it was the sole raison de'tre for the composers-the trinity..i dont understand why u keep hitting back on it again and again..when no one seems to disagree with u on that at all...if u had read my posts on this or the other thread, i think therez a degree of convergence between the views of idiappam, u and me--all i have been saying is that classical music is beyong linguistic barriers...by giving it a regionalistic hue just because a bulk of 'popular' artists come from a certain state, it simple narrows the scope, appeal and acceptance of that art form...thats all...

Post Thanks / Like
    and viggop thanks for that number..of the kritis...i had vaguely remembered it to be around that many..but didnt wanna risk giving a wrong numerical so that the whole world wud then pounce on me for my 'unpardonable sin'

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast