View Poll Results: On What Grounds.. You "LIKE" Thamizh-Isai ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • My MOTHER-TONGUE irrespective of Musical value

4 14.29%
  • Thamizh SWEET LANGUAGE + Sweet-music

16 57.14%
  • Known Language + Sweet-Music

5 17.86%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. NO Equally GOOD Sahithyas like Telugu & Kannada

3 10.71%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. Some Other Reason

0 0%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Great THAMIZH - ISAI !

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Tamizh Isai

In my vague memory, a lawyer turned musicologist and close associate of prof sambhamoorthy ,by name vasudeva shastrigal who was doing research work on palm leaves at sarasawathi mahal was raising controversies regarding this subject in early fifties in kalki magazine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lakshmanji
    It is not Prof.Sambamurthi.I rememeber reading the name as TS.Sambandhmoorthy

Idiappam Sir
    I find your answer cryptic and do not fully understand it but if you want to avoid talking about something,then there must be a good reason.

Let us not post anything which will digress from the topic of the thread.Let us continue about Thamizh isai only.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idiappam,
    In his comment (anindhurai) on the book, thennaga isai iyal, by Chelladurai, Avvai Natarajan says ' annilaiyil 11991 paN vagaigaLai annaaLil thamizhar kaNdanar'. Earlier in that paragraph he mentions adiyaarkku nallaar. I suspect you can find it in adiyaarkku nallaar urai. If you are very particular I can call Natarajan and find out where in Silappadhikaaram we can find it. The problem is that he is difficult to get at home.
    I will look for other books on music to determine the source. The book by Chelladhurai is good introduction to South Indian Music.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Abraham Padithar, in is Karunaamirutha Saagaram - page 620' quotes this verse - from Silapathigaram Arangetra kaathai, he says. But it is probably from Adiyarkku Nallar urai.

¯Â¢Õ¢÷ ¦ÁöÂÇ ×¨Ãò¾¨Åô À¡Ä¢Û
    Ó¼ÈÁ¢ Æ¢ÂÄ¢¨º §Âؼý ÀÌòÐ
    ã§Åú ¦Àö¾ó ... ... ...
    ¦¾¡ñÎ Á£ñ¼ ÀýÉ£ á¢Ãí
    ¦¸¡ñ¼É âÂüÈø ¦¸¡¨ÇÅø§Ä¡÷ ¸¼§É.

The 11991 pans is also mentioned in the recent urai of Puliyoor Kesigan.

Post Thanks / Like
    From Kamba Ramayanam(dated 8th century AD)

முழவினில் வீணையில், முரல் நல் யாழினில்
    தழுவிய குழலினில், சங்கில் தாரையில்
    எழு குரல் இன்றியே, என்றும் இல்லது ஓர்
    அழு குரல் பிறந்தது, அவ் இலங்கைக்கு அன்றுஅரோ

veenai,yazh,kuzhal(flute),sangu(conch) and the seven notes are mentioned by Kambar here

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Readers,

There was a reference to Carnatic Music in an issue of the 'Indian Perspectives' Magazine, in the article titled "From boiled beans to Bangalore" written by Raj Vir Mittal, which is as follows:

---------------------

".....The traditions of the Indian Classical Karnatak (Carnatic) Music can be traced back to Hampi - the centre of activity of the Vijayanagar empire (1336-1646 A.D.) which had reached its pinnacle during the rule of Krishnadevaraya who built temples
    in fine and elaborate Hindu style of Architecture....."

----------------------

This Carnatic Music spread throught the empire of Vijayanagara, and also in Tamil Nadu - which came under the suzerainty of this empire and received the impact of this music tradition.

The Tamil Nadu was left to be ruled by the Nayakkar kings appointed by the Vijayanagara Emperors - as their subordinates. The Nayakar kings were essentialy Telungu speaking, a language which received much recognition in its use in administration and in the day to day life of the people of Tamil Nadu under these kings.

This situation created the undermining of the traditional Tamil Music in Tamil Nadu, and the dominance of Carnatic Music and the development of the Keerthanas in Telungu by the Musicians of that period and thereafter - including the Sangeetha Mummoorthis of Tamil Nadu. This situation still prevails in Tamil Nadu.

Music whether it be in Tamil, Telungu, Kannada, or Malayalam it <u>should be appreciated by every one.</u>

But if the Music Recital is to be of Telungu Keerthanas & Songs, then the Music Festival should be correctely called as Telungu Music Festival. If it is to be with Kannada Keerthanas & Songs then it should be correctly referred to as Karnatic(Carnatic) Music Festival. If it is to be with Tamil Keerthanas & Songs it should be correctly referred to as the Tamil Music Festival.

But it is very incorrect to say that it is a "Tamil Music Festival", and the programmes to be referred to as "Karnatic(Carnatic) Music" by leading Singers, and finally on the stage to sing "Telungu Keerthanas".

It is high time the Musicians of Tamil Nadu revived the Tamil Music which received its fatal blow during the Vijayanagara Empire, and bring it back to its prestine glory as spearheaded by Sir Annamalai Chettiar with his "Thamil Isai Iyyakkam".

I trust the Musicians of Tamil Nadu will collectively bring back the Tamil Music on to its pedestal - in Tamil Nadu and among the Tamils all over the World.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mr.Idiappam

Excellent work in this thread Your notations are unparallel indeed! I read in "MANORAMA YEAR BOOK 2001" the significance of 'tamil Isai' which was the base for Indian & West Asian music.

In the same book I noticed Tamil 'Sathirattam' turned present 'Bharathanattiyam'.

Panthanallur style Sathirattam is famous one.

Thiru. Sudhaama can open a thread on Bharathanatitiyam also.

Tamil isai does not mean not only singing in tamil It has other proportions that have been clearly put forth by Idiappam. There are tamil names to specify all these present terminology of Carnatic/Hindustani music.

The intricasies of tamil music has been clearly understood by Maestro Ilayaraja and just because of that, it has been easier for him to go on with symphony in Thiruvasakam

Everybody expects glorious past to be revived. Tamilian arts should not die.

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F.S.Gandhi vandayar

// .... I noticed Tamil 'Sathirattam' turned present 'Bharathanattiyam'.

Panthanallur style Sathirattam is famous one.

Thiru. Sudhaama can open a thread on Bharathanatitiyam also. ...

...Everybody expects glorious past to be revived. Tamilian arts should not die.

f.s.gandhi
    Dear Mr F.S. Gandhi,

Duly HONOURING your Wish... I have started now a New Thread on Bharatha- Naattiyam ...

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5118

Interested Hubbers are welcome to enrich that Thread also.

Mikka Anbudan,
    Sudhaama

Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Virarajendra
    Please let us not divide carnatic music into Telegu Music festival, Tamil music festival etc. Let us call it carnatic music.
    Artists can sing in any language they want and i'll enjoy all well rendered songs.

As you have mentioned, it is still Tamilians who are ruling the roost in carnatic music. Chennai is the Mecca of carnatic music.In chennai, every december(dec 15-jan 15), there is a music season held and a Sangeetha Kalanidhi is chosen.I have been to these concerts and have enjoyed them a lot.

Let us enjoy the divine carnatic music and trust Lord Shiva to protect it.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Thiru Sudhaama

I may come up with some historical aspects in the 'Bharathanatyam" thread after sometime.

Ofcourse music does not need any language whenever instruments only played. Maestro Ilayaraja's 'Nothing but wind' & 'How to name it' , Hentri Bhithoven's 'waves' & American Lionel Richie's ' Gambling' expressed the atmosphere & feelings to enjoy within it.

But whenever words are filled up language plays important role. At least in TamilNadu, tamil songs should be played. Otherwise. As Director K.Balachandar put it in his film "Sinthu Bairavi",Thalai Aattum Puriyatha Koottam" only will be there in Tamil Nadu!

As Mr.Idiappam told earlier in this thread during 19th century(still continues) tamil was considered as 'Neesa Basha'-Theetu among "Sabhas".

Some two years back I happened to hear Dr.Pushpavanam Kuppusami's concert in tamil Isai with New "Keerthanaas". It was really wonderful! Will present sabhas call him for concert? I think he is considered as a person of folk songs(Naatturap pura Paadal) only

f.s.gandhi
    "Kal thonri man thontra kalathay mun thonri mootha kudi"- a second century literature- means when before stone became sand in earth the tamil tribes were formulated

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast