View Poll Results: On What Grounds.. You "LIKE" Thamizh-Isai ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • My MOTHER-TONGUE irrespective of Musical value

4 14.29%
  • Thamizh SWEET LANGUAGE + Sweet-music

16 57.14%
  • Known Language + Sweet-Music

5 17.86%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. NO Equally GOOD Sahithyas like Telugu & Kannada

3 10.71%
  • NOT INTERESTED.. Some Other Reason

0 0%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Great THAMIZH - ISAI !

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viggop said:
    From the above list,tell me how many are non-Tamils
    Pray tell me, how many in the list sang Tamil? Composed Tamil?? Where is Dhandapani Deshikar on the list? He was awarded the Tamil Isai Perarignar title in 1957.

Why did Papanasam Sivan take so long (1971 till near his death) to get his Kalanithi title?? Because he composed in Tamil. Sivan got his Tamil Isai Perariggar title in 1965.

And where are Isai Peraringnars Darmapuram Swaminathan (1986) and Kirupanantha Vari (1967} on that list?? Ignored - they sang Tamil!

And where is our composer Isai Peraignar (1972) Periasamy Thooran on your list?? Ignored - he composed Tamil!

It is the proof that Tamils need not worry about losing carnatic music
    Tamils need not worry at all about losing carnatic music, as it is just an infertile offshoot of Tamil Isai - I said that earlier.

Please Mr Viggop, perhaps you don't know, but the impression given to the people is that carnatic music has a non-Tamil Origin - That's rubbish!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    rajraj said:
    This number 11991 is from Silappadhikaram and the quote is from the chapter on Silappadhikaram. I suspect it is from 'Kaanalvari'.
    Raj, I can't locate that in The Silapadhikaram. Perhaps, it occurs in Adiyarkku Nallars (12th century AD) comentrary on Silapathikaram - I don't have that with me! Any leads?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idiappam,
    I have a few books on music,thevaram,thiruvasakam,thiruppavai and other Tamil works. I don't have Adiyarkku nallaar urai. There is a book by a western musicologist. He also mentions the number. I have misplaced the book. When I find it I will let you know whether the source is Silappadhikaram.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idiappam Sir
    Please do not consider Thamizh isai as something sung in Tamil only.

Even Lalgudi Jayaraman,Naina pillai,veena dhannamal,L.Subramaniam,NC Vasanthkokilam,Flute Mali,Madurai Somu,rajarathinam pillai are legends and they are not in the list.
    Does it mean that these people also performed only in Thamizh and hence were ignored? Not at all.Lalgudi,LSUB,rajarathinam pillai have played for lot of songs in other languages.Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan is president of Thygaraja Aradhana Sabha for long time now.he should have got the award by now if I go by your logic!
    These people also got Isai perarignar awards too!!!
    There are many people in the list who have sung in all languages.

The musicians do NOT consider music as something that can be divided by lingusitic and geographical barriers. They consider it as an act of bhakthi and another way to reach God.I think that is the correct attitude towards music.Since we view music from outside,it is we who get divided by things like language,state, nationality,sex etc.How else can Christian like john Higgins and a muslim like ChinnaMoulana sing in thygaraja aradhana if you divide music by religions/nationalities/language?

50% of hindustani musicians are not Hindus.but,Hindu musicans do not compain about that.So, for a true musician,these things do not matter.only musicians with a superficial interest in music will get divided like this & get angry.Music unites and does not divide.

Carnatic music maybe an infertile offshoot(as per your opinion) but it is the only thing surviving now which links us to Thamizh isai.Tamil folk music is also there but folk music is the parent of classical music.So, we have to preserve carnatic music and Tamilians are already doing it whether people like it or not.
    For e.g. Some modern stars in carnatic music are sudha ragunathan,sowmya,bombay jayashree,sanjay subramanian,TN seshagopalan,OS.thigarajan,OS Arun,embar kannan,ravikiran-shahsikiran,ghatam karthik etc Tamils only.

So,please do not worry unnecessarily and do not become angry.As long as Lord Shiva blesses Tamils, we will shine in classical dance and classical music.

Please continue your postings on Thamizh isai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Viggop said:

Carnatic music maybe an infertile offshoot(as per your opinion) but it is the only thing surviving now which links us to Thamizh isai.
    No! Carantic music lacks the flavour of Tamil isai. Why is the GrahaBedham (pan peyarthal) feature of Tamil music not used in Carnatic music?? Why is it seen in Illayaraja's music?? Why did that man attract so many listeners??

Tamil folk music is also there but folk music is the parent of classical music.
    That is just another branch of Tamil music - not the parent.

So, we have to preserve carnatic music and Tamilians are already doing it whether people like it or not.
    Yes they are, as I said earlier, by going more towards Tamil singing! Ask Mr T.V. Sankaranarayanan - He got the award Tamil Isai Vendar too - recently!

Listen to his 'Aadum Chidambaramo' here
    http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/1/m/artist.30/

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Idiappam Sir
    TVS also got the Sangeetha Kalanidhi too!!!

Ilaiyaraja is a musical genius.He knows not only carnatic music but also can compose folk songs.He is another living legend.He has recently released an album on Ramana Maharishi and also on Thiruvasagam.Ramana maharishi album has songs sung by Bombay jayashree and Unnikrishnan other than ilayaraja himself.But,unfortunately,modern tamil film composers are tending more towards rap,pop music filled with vulgar lyrics which demeans women.I hope someone is there to take over Ilayaraja reins and rejunevate Tamil film music.

Good to know that you accept that Tamils are preserving carnatic music(even without grahabedham).They are not only singing in Tamil but also new languages like Marathi(abhangs) and bengali(rabindra sangeeth) proving that music is beyond such walls!!! New instruments like mandolin,guitar,keyboard,sax are now coming inside our music.This is enriching our music and soon you will say that carnatic music has become "fertile" Trust Lord Shiva to protect it.

Happy listening to our great carnatic music.It really fills our soul with peace and takes away anger and other base feeling.Long live our great,divine,carnatic music!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Eagerly awaiting pan peyarthal of Thamizh Isai!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    GrehaBedham
    ==============================
    http://www.carnaticmusic.esmartmusic...grahabedam.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Sirinivasan

The aim of this thread is not to denigrate other languages but only emphasize the contribution of Tamils to carnatic music.Various references to music in Tamil Sangam and later literatures are posted in this topic.It emphasises the greatness of isai found in Tamil lieterature.
    Telugu and kannada people can open new threads which tells about carnatic music in their literature too.Any true music lover will be above things like language,religion,nation etc.

Mod Msg: Please do not digress from the main topic. They will be pruned. And, please do NOT bring caste/religion issues here too.. Thanks.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast