Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What made ppl to turn towards IR

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "In comparison (on experimentation on a purely musical perspective), successful MDs like ARR and Vidhyasagar pale... "

Not true at all. If there is one MD in the last 10 years who has been consistently experimenting its ARR. And he still hasnt stopped. Swades and Bose are wonderful examples. Whether his music has the power to last is another issue(and a subjective one), but he is definitely an experimentalist, album-to-album. IR, beyond his first few years was content to grind the same flour in 90% of his films, reserving novel ideas now and then for a Kamal or a KB/Manirathnam film.

"Agreed ARR enhanced the recording quality / pure western pop techno etc and he has been pretty consistent in `packaging' listenable music for more than a decade...However, compare Roja (or thiruda, thiruda) to any latest album from him, can you notice any big trend change? Nop... "

Once again, disagree. Probably you are basing it just on his TFM albums. Even then KaNgaLaal kaidhu sei struck me as pretty fresh with very novel sandhams. Many ideas in "Boys" were new.

"No wonder people who have a fraction of his talent (HJ, YSR, Bharadwaj etc.) but have access to gadgets can manufacture similar scores for a fraction of his charge...
    "

Imitating is easy. Deva imitated IR very well in the early-to-mid 90s. There were many who used to think songs from "Kizhakku karai" and "oru PeN pura"(ANNamalai) were all composed by IR. Even Gangai Amaran gave pretty good stuff in the 80s itself.

And Balabharathi imitated IR so well that his songs sounded more IRish than IR songs themselves in Amaravathi.

YSR and Bharadwaj are nowhere in Rahman's league. Just because a couple of films that they did music for became hits, doesnt mean their music is great Bharadwaj, especially, is a nobody in TFM.

BTW, kbee, ARR didnt create any "fusion". Many people before him have already been there and done that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx NagaS ....u just made my day

hey i think it is becoming another ARR-IR war thread.......sorry for my inteference in this thread...i'm always a silent surfer in IR's threads but this time i could not hold back, looking at misconception of ARR.......hey kbee, dunt feel sorry........u have started a very good topic.....

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kbee,
    "I didn know tht G Ramanathan is ARRs's kollu thatha - thanks for the info. "
    adhukkupinnAdi vandha smiley'yaippArkkaliyA? (To me ARR is current, IR prior gen, MSV prior-prior gen - alladhu `thAthA', GR prior-prior-prior gen, adhAvadhu `koLLu thAthA')

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "So whats special about IRs music that turned our ears towards tamil music?"

1) Sheer number of majestic, mind-boggling songs.
    2) Instrumental in breeding IR-type of music; many MD's imitated and continue to imitate his music. Even ARR songs, sometimes, have interludes or musical bits that sound familiar from some IR number.

One disadvantage (some may call it advantage) is that there were too many IR numbers which were mere convenient or clever tweaks of other numbers, so that the listener would get bored (listening to the same pattern of tokku tokku tokku stuff). Probably this resulted in the emergence of ARR.

IR's songs in about 250 movies was excellent. In the other movies the songs were probably ordinary. In any case, one cannot doubt his genius. All IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding "Oru peN purA" by Deva, I think it is based on an MSV number that goes "Mannikka mAttAyA un manam irangi". Of course Deva imitated IR, sometimes with stunning results.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber MumbaiRamki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opnion ,
    ->If a layman hears mozart and HIS 50 symphonies ,it would appear the same ,even if hears 4-5 times .tHAT DOES NOT TAKE THE CREDIT OUT OF MOZART !!!

->When we sayexperimentation ,we have two kinds ..One is experimentation with different insttruments and sounds and other is do with experimentation in different genre,different musical domains ...
    I guess raaja sir did both .

->But for me personally ,raaja songs are something which directlt touch the heart -!!!!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY

hey i think it is becoming another ARR-IR war thread
    to ease you gusy

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vijayr
    Not true at all. If there is one MD in the last 10 years who has been consistently experimenting its ARR. And he still hasnt stopped. Swades and Bose are wonderful examples. Whether his music has the power to last is another issue(and a subjective one), but he is definitely an experimentalist, album-to-album. IR, beyond his first few years was content to grind the same flour in 90% of his films, reserving novel ideas now and then for a Kamal or a KB/Manirathnam film..
    Swades i havent heard but i heard the song 'Aazaadi' and a couple of songs from Bose - its nothing but the same grinder and the same flour. The song Aazaadi has the same BGM from 'Vandhe maatharam' which he did 8 years ago and the interludes are pretty similar to 'Putham pudhu boomi vaendum' which he did 10 years ago and the whole tune is a slight modification of his vandhe mataram!! where is experimentation...
    If at all the album had anything to amuse it was the theme music for which i intented to start a separate thread in ARR forums. The bose Theme was excellently done. but this area of themes has been extensively experimented and conquered by IR and he is still experimenting on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    rajasaranam - go and jump into the well - kinathu thavalai!! U have proved once again that you the biggest clown here!! thanks for all the fun you are providing!! U shuld get the best comedian award!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    rajasaranam - go and jump into the well - kinathu thavalai!! U have proved once again that you the biggest clown here!! thanks for all the fun you are providing!! U shuld get the best comedian award!!
    I thought the above words were applicable to you

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast