Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Indian Epic - Mahabharath

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice topic guys.Even as a Christian Hindu Mythology has fascinated me always.I have grown up reading them.I can't be sure about my memory.But if I can join in:

The great novel,Yayati by V.S. Khandekar if I remember right,gives a complete insight into the life of this king.He became prematurily aged due to a curse from Shukracharya for illtreating his daughter Devayani whom Yayati married.

Now for Bhishma and Shantanu,Shantanu was the king Mahabhishek in an earlier birth.Once when he was in Indra's durbar,Goddess Ganga entered the place.Due to breeze her dress was slightly removed from her body.All present removed their gaze out of respect for the Goddess but Mahabhishek who was mesmerized by the beauty of the Goddess stared at her.Upon this,Brahma cursed him that he will be born in the Bharatha dynasty and will have Ganga as his wife from whom he will suffer great grief.

When he was born as Shantanu he was once sitting near the Ganga river and saw a beautiful woman.The rest of the story is already discussed here.

Later ,Devavratha,the son of Ganga and Shantanu was returned to him by the Goddess.Once Shantanu went to see the chief of fishermen in his country.He was not home and Shantanu fell for his daughter Satyavati who was alone at home.He requested her hand in marriage,but the fisherman kept the condition that her children should inherit the kingdom.The king returned in sadness as it was the right of Devaratha.Upon seeing his father sad,Devavratha asked his charioteer about the happenings and went to see the fisherman.He promosed that he won't raise claim to the throne.Not satisfied with this the chief raised the suspicion that one day his children may stake claim to the throne.At this Devavratha took a terrible vow,that he will never marry or have children of his own and will stay away from power forever.Devas appeared on the sky and showered praises and flowers upon him ,surprised at his devotion for his father.From that moment he was called Bhishma,one who has taken a terrible oath.[The usage 'Bhishma Shapatham' was derived from this].

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear all,

Great to see all the Participants, esp Blablah being a Christian his knowledge is commandable in Hindusim.

HHW,

Please try and discuss about Mahabharth or Ramayana only, if possible, thanks

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ragu,
    What do you mean?? Was I talking Greek and Latin here??

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear BlahBlah
    Mahabharatha is an Indian Mythology.Hindu Gods play a part in it because at those times all were following Hinduism in India.

All people of Indian origin can ***own*** it and comment on it.

Karna was also a great donor.Arjuna's arrows could not kill him because of his accumulated Dharma.

Lord Krishna had to disguise himself as a poor brahmin and ask for all the good dharma as Bhiksha.only after Karna gives that,his life departs.So,Lord Krishna blesses him that he'll reach the heaven for warriors.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by viggop
    Dear BlahBlah
    Mahabharatha is an Indian Mythology.Hindu Gods play a part in it because at those times all were following Hinduism in India.

All people of Indian origin can ***own*** it and comment on it.
    What does that mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear BlahBlah
    I meant that Mahabharata is an epic of India,not Hindu epic.Hindus do not own any exclusive right to comment on it.All People of Indian origin can own it as their own.

Hope you did not take it any other wrong way??? If yes,you can pm me if there is something wrong in it and i'll delete it immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karna was also a great donor.Arjuna's arrows could not kill him because of his accumulated Dharma.

Lord Krishna had to disguise himself as a poor brahmin and ask for all the good dharma as Bhiksha.only after Karna gives that,his life departs.So,Lord Krishna blesses him that he'll reach the heaven for warriors.

Did you know that Hanuman from Satya Yuga was on Arjuna Chariot, protecting him all the way, as per Lord Krishna's request? ,

Hanuman ji also came to test the physical strength of Bhima in Mahabarath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Raghu
    I know that Hanuman came as an old monkey and destroyed the arrogance of Bhima in Mahabharatha.

How come Hanuman was in chariot of Arjuna? I have not read this story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karna was also born with a Kavacham and kundalam.
    Even that is taken away by Krishna in the battle when he is pierced with Arjuna's arrows.With which God did Kunti beget Karnan? Was it Surya?

Post Thanks / Like

How come Hanuman was in chariot of Arjuna? I have not read this story.
    Yes, this is true, I have seen This on the Krishna Series, Once Karna has been Killed, Lord Krishna takes Arjuna to a secret place, and tells him to come off the chariot, and he calls for Hanuman ji, who appears in front of him from the chariot, and as soon as Hanuman ji leaves the chariot, it blows into pieces and the lord Krishna tells Arjuna that Hanuman Ji was protecting him from the formidable & ferocious force of Ankaraj Karna.

Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast