Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsung Hero /Heroines

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unsung Hero /Heroines

We might have come across some people who had brought significant positive changes to others life, but
    • Without expecting any fame
    • Without expecting any self gains including salvation or heaven
    • Without preaching or threatening with religions
    • Without having any intention to make a footprint on any history

I can give following examples…
    • Kurien Verghese, who had started the greatest AMUL co-operative movement
    • Baba Amte, who had devoted his life to the care and rehabilitation of leprosy patients.
    • Vidyakar, who had devoted his life for the orphaned children
    • Krishnammal, who had brought land distribution scheme to the suppressed people
    • Pugalenthi, who had brought low cost medical benefits to poor segment around Kalpakkam

Some of them might be well known in local geographical location, for example Baba Amte. Still we can list here, since many of the educated masses living outside those geographical location do not know about them.

Some of these people might be serious religious followers (Kuntrakudi Adigalam) and some of them even may be atheist /communist (Jeeva) but they don’t divide the human based on the faith or impose their faith.

The list will be too big…

We can write about the people them and also about the ways to contribute their efforts.
    Let us document it here and spread their efforts to inspire the current younger generation who are addicted with false film stars and fake god men /god women.
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber swathy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr.Govindhammal - Booma Nursing Home, Madurai

She has done 30,000+ delivery . She never do abortion.
    100% She'll try her best to make it as normal delivery. She won't go for operation just for money.
    Very simple.
    Kind to patients.
    Even complicated cases she'll handle without tension.

Dr.SUNITHA AGARWAL, BANGALORE.

Dr.M.S UDHAYAMURTHY,CHENNAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Swathy for writing about great human beings.

Even though there is just only one response to this thread, I could able to see the high number of visitors. So I decided to write for the interest of readers.

Let me start with Dr. P. Venugopal (Panangipalli Venugopal, 59, a great cardiovascular surgeon)

Kings of Hearts:

Impoverished priests to imperious presidents, they all stream in to the AIIMS to fix their flawed hearts. It’s a finely tuned team — and a reticent, but brilliant, surgeon who keeps India’s besieged mecca of heart-surgery at the frontiers.

• He is currently the Dean of AIIMS. Previously he was the head of cardiothoracic surgery. When he appointed as Dean he said "I will not compromise on professional work in the name of administrative work, Instead of starting at 8 a.m., I will start at 7 a.m."

• He did the first heart transplant in India and was subsequently awarded the Padma Bhushan for his contribution. Our President Abdul Kalam mentioned about him in few of his speeches.

• He belongs to the third batch of the MBBS graduates of AIIMS. He was recognized as the best graduate of his batch and trained under legendary heart surgeon Denton Cooley at the Texas Heart Institute.

• Most of the prestigious medical institutes are ready to offer very green packages to even his students. He refused to accept any such offers and lead a very simple life in AIIMS. ‘‘There were always opportunities,’’ says Venugopal gravely. ‘‘But I had commitments to this place.’’

• He shies away from publicity. Once he said to the press reporter who made considerable persuasion to have a meeting ‘‘I have no interest in talking to you. I don’t want publicity.’’

• He entered to family life very recently because of his sincere dedication to his selfless goals. He fully devoted his youth hood to improve the medical system for the poor people of India.

• He is the leading pioneer in stem cell research in India.

The above article is an extract from various newspapers and magazines. For readers who want to read more about him, please read the following article.

http://www.indianexpress.com/archive...ntent_id=10739

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add Mrs. Savithri Vaithi who has been succesfully running "Vishranthi" - Home for aged & destitute women for many years now, in chennai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mr. Sanjay,
    Can you please write little bit more about Mrs. Savitri Vaithi and her works?

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reproduce below an article on her in "The Hindu" :

For the past three decades, Savithri Vaithi has been relentlessly working for the cause of the aged. Today, Vishranthi is much more than a old age home and is her past, present and future...

TRY ASKING Savithri Vaithi about her childhood, her hobbies, her interests or even her pet peeve ... the reply is just about a sentence or two before she always returns to her favourite topic, the well known Vishranthi Charitable Trust, a pioneer institution for aged destitutes. All this after her initial apprehension over the phone! ("Hope you will not ask the usual things like when Vishranthi was started ... ") It is obvious that Savithri's life for the past three decades has revolved only around it — so her past, present and future are understandably the old age home and its ever-increasing activities.

When the Monday Charity Club was begun by a group of housewives 33 years ago, the number of women who had enough time on their hands to do their mite for a charitable cause, was considerable. It helped the club, which had Savithri at the helm, to begin Vishranthi, for the poor and uncared-for old women in society.

However with most of today's women going out to work, they hardly find time to think beyond the family and the daily chores. But when social consciousness takes a backseat, the danger of one becoming oblivious to it is also there.

That's exactly why Vishranthi has a "Malarchi" wing, says Savithri. Poor children of single parents, and others who deserve help, are identified and offered assistance — their boarding, lodging and schooling are taken care of. In the evenings these children spend time with the elderly inmates in the home, helping them in small ways. "This way the old women find some solace seeing young faces around them, while the children learn to show concern for the infirm lot around them," says Savithri Vaithi.

Of late, with the average longevity of humans turning into an issue that's looming large, even the governments are in a fix as to the solutions. "The improved life span has resulted in a noticeable increase in the number in the 60 plus age group. . Geriatrics is no ordinary matter — tackling it requires both man and money power. The break-up of the joint family system is one reason for the mushrooming of paid and charitable homes for old people. And the younger generation flying away to far off countries, leaving old parents behind is another. "There is also another side to it," she goes on with a smile. " But old people may not like to hear it. It's not as though all young people are selfish while every aged person is saintly. Wherever you stay adjustments have to be made. Even at Vishranthi we have a regular routine and the inmates have to follow it. Some find it difficult and prefer to leave but others fall in line soon. I ask the women who have come away from their families because they are not able to adjust in their homes, `Everywhere there is bound to be some rules to follow, some adjustments to be made. You do it here without ego, why can you not be so at home with your son, daughter or daughter-in-law?' Most of the time they don't have an answer."

Another disconcerting aspect is that in old age many women become unbelievably selfish and possessive about their things and this leads to petty rows. "So through moral and religious stories we try to instil broadmindedness and maturity. So in the evenings I sit down with them and narrate religious tales in the lingo that they would best understand." Vishranthi is secular too — the place of worship includes all gods. You can only admire the patience and industriousness of this 72-year old for whom service is the only way of life.

For Savithri serving others began even in her 16th year, when she joined Ashok Vihar, a welfare centre in Choolai, as a welfare organiser. Family circumstances made her take up the job which involved working in the slums, teaching the dwellers the importance of hygiene and helping them out in many ways.

For many who think Vishranthi is only a home for old, destitute women, the number of schemes implemented here comes as a surprise.

Vishranthi serves street elders too. Old people with amnesia, dementia or Alzheimer's, found loitering on the roads, are brought to the home and cared for. "Nizhal" is Vishranthi's short stay home for distressed women. Women who come here can stay on for a maximum period of three months. Counselling is offeredAnd if you are looking for a temporary place to leave your elders in, when you have to go out of station for a few days or even a couple of months, Vishranthi's Transit Home provides decent accommodation and food served in their rooms — of course, you are charged for it. "We do have response for this kind of a short stay home. We don't allow sick people to be left here. But sometimes due to old age unforeseen things happen," says Savithri as she recounts the case of a woman who was left in the Transit Home because the family had to go to a remote village for a few days. "The woman had a massive heart attack and died. And reaching the relatives and handing over the body, was quite a task."

"Oondrukol" is another popular scheme. Old and poverty stricken women living with their families are identified and every month a complete set of provisions and a sum of Rs. 30, are given. Through constant monitoring Vishranthi ensures that the provisions are used by the family and not sold away.

And next on the cards is the starting of self-help groups and day care centres for old women. "These should work wonderfully in towns and villages, than in cities," is her assessment.

"Vishranthi is not my achievement alone," she says and adds, "I am only glad that I was able to make housewives understand that besides taking care of the family they could assist others outside also."

But what relaxation does she offer herself amidst all this hectic activity? "Actually ... nothing much. There's no time... " She ponders ... and as an afterthought adds, "I watch "Veetukku Veedu Looty", the comedy soap on TV, and I enjoy it."

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One unsung hero I can think of at present:

Che Guevara, the revolutionary leader of Cuba.
    Inspite of being Argentine, he went to Cuba to fight its independence.
    And then quite his top ministerial posts in Cuba to fight for African countries before he went to Bolivia and was shot dead by the CIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Che Guevara was/ and still one of the greatest hero. We can not considered him as part of "unsung hero" list. Those who knows about Cuban revolution or any little knowledge about Communism, knows very well about him.

He will remain as one of the greatest, selfless leader of 20th Century and inspire the youth all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    [tscii]The following article on a eighty year old lady may look like too long, but I couldn’t able to edit since each word has lot of messages.

This article is taken from “Anantha Vikatan”, a Tamil weekly magazine. I just translated it. I don’t know whether publishing the entire article without the permission of “Vikatan” is right or wrong, but considering the message/intention behind the article, I want to share and store it in this thread for wide user access.

I have phographs of her but I don't know how to post it here...

http://lightsofindia.myphotoalbum.co...id=krishnammal
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The great motto “land belongs to those who cultivate” is the identification of Krishnammal Jeganathan. The dreams of Krishnammal are to get own land for poor and make good houses for them.

She had not only recovered ten thousand acres from excessive land owners in Thiruvarur-Nagapatinam area and distributed to poor people but had also built five thousand houses for poor people. Even after she had crossed age eighty, her service and unbelievable activeness is really astonishing. She is working for the poor people for last thirty five years.

“The rich people consider the land as wealth or assets but for the poor people, it is strength and self respect”. “ For the working people, a small piece of land provide unbelievable amount of energy” – she tells boldly in a subtle voice.

The following photo shows her with people of Ayyadimangalam..

Krishnammal’s LAFTI (Land for Tillers freedom) function its land recovery program from Nagai district Koothoor. Ayyanlottai in Dindugal district, is her native place. The inhuman act of Keel Venmani brought her to Nagapattinam after her completion of studies from college.

Krishnammal was shaken by the major inhuman act in which 44 suppressed people were burned by land owners for asking wage revision. The incident stunned the total India. “so many lifes were lost just for asking ¼ kg rice” she cried terrible and then she had decided to work for the land recovery movement. “Salary rise is not the need for suppressed people instead it is own land” she understood the truth and Krishnammal’s war started at that moment.

“Oh…Even I can’t believe it, one or two… how many confrontations!! First I had recovered the land for suffered Keel Venamani people. First I had recovered sixty three acres at Kaavalakudi”.

She approached all her confrontations through the Gandhian way of “Ahimsa” by following the path shown by her husband freedom fighter Jeganathan.

The following shows the photograph with Venmani farmers.

“I was spending days without having water and food in front of land owners in order to get the land or the distribution to working people. Initially the land owners didn’t mind me by assuming that what this lady would do. But when they understood the I wouldn’t go without getting the land, the started threatening and tried to threaten me with weapons.. Even they had tried to burn me with kerosene. I said that I will not run for my life at any situations. You do whatever you want. My stubborn nature started slowly winning”.

Some of the excessive land owners came forward to sell… I bought whole land by taking loan from “TATCO” scheme and then distributed to the respective villagers one acre per person. The villagers themselves returned the loans in installments after every cultivation period. From that period, I am following the same method to get the land and distributing it to people” She explained. After speaking she called us to come with her to Venmani.

After seeing her at Venmani, all the people Vemani left their work at the fields and came to her just like seeing a God o their life and with lot of happiness in their face. Some people were even falling at her feet. The women were hugging and kissing her with lot of love.

“We were working here as a slave in this same land long back… In those times we were punished by hitting our whole body with a sharp object “Sluki”… for even 5minutes late to work. The pain we had undergone under the land owners were indescribable” the village people were saying and started sitting around her on the banks of field. The old men of the village were saying that she had brought one cart of rice when their villages was burnt… “we distributed to all the people. At the beginning, we were not at all having faith. Only mother (Krishnammal) had started the agitation and obtained the land and distributed one acre to one person. We worked hard and made money and converted in to two acres. The people those who didn’t allow us in to the village street, now they respect us by inviting to their houses… We got the respect… Krishnammal is our Lord”

Krishnammal said as response “I assume that I had some relationship with all this people in my previous births”

The village people were wholeheartedly said that there were incidence in which some rich people gave acres of land after understanding the great mind and thoughts of mother (Krishnammal).

The movement LAFTI was started after 10 years of her land recovery program. Due to necessity of formally registered organization in order to get big amount loan from TADCO, LAFTS was formed. Whenever she goes to any village for her movement, she stays with the poor people in their huts. “No doors, mud houses which can disappear even little rain… covered with coconut/palm leafs.. I was shatter after seeing the living standards of that people. We had planned to build houses using various government schemes and some money from LAFTI. People themselves started making bricks and we all built the houses using that bricks after burning… It was like a festival.. As a team we used to stay in a village for three months… and we make food for the total village and work hard. Till now we had built five thousand houses” she said.

Even though land recovery is the primary aim, LAFTI is working on various activities for people. Computer center, grass weaving units, electrical and plumping unit, chili powder unit, like this so many employment opportunities Krishnammal had created in the villages. There are three hostels for poor children to stay and study.

Now a days Krishnammal is very actively working against Prawn farms around in this area. She is conducting movements against those. In recent rains, most of the farmer’s lands were damaged. She was going village by village and distributing rice and blankets. She came to Chennai for one day rest and rushed back to Nagapatinam next day to serve the people those who suffered in Tsunami. Her running to serve the people is going on without rest.

She was looking at the people those who carry the cut rice plants “ this rice is not going to hide in bungalows of rich land owners… this goes to poor men’s hut to fill their hunger… This is my happiness… my achievement and all… it is injustice for not having the land by the working people.. I will fight against it till my last breadth. I don’t know how far I had traveled in my goal… the need of poor people is very big… Till I have the last drop of energy in my body, I will try to get the land and distribute it…” She told calmly with her eyes closed.

Krishnammal… the great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast