• Post 2003

0 0%
Page 151 of 166 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1652

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    But if you are in the mood to deride any of his films, there are plenty of LOL-worthy lines / scenes, like the one you qouted.
    I disagree, I think Mani Ratnam generally gets such dynamics right. Artificial dialogue ellAm vERa debate. (I think that charge itself is quite dubious.) Watching the film as a kid, I was in awe of the film (though the Kamal fanboy in me insisted on placing it just below Guna ) just as I was with any Mani Ratnam film, but upon revisiting, the one-dimensional melodrama of this film did seem to me like an 'aberration' of sorts for a Mani Ratnam film. I mean, he's this filmmaker who's particularly acclaimed for his portrayal of individual relationships (now the most cliched assessment of MR but it's true nevertheless). Here, the relationships appear fairly one-dimensional. Think of lines like "unna mAdhiri oru aNNan enakku irundhirundhA, en ammA unna eppavO vitteRinjuruppAnga." Such in-your-face lines in a Mani Ratnam film, are they usual?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    But yeah, I make this as a criticism on what is otherwise a very compelling film. It works superbly as a (signature MR) subdued masala film and Rajini (and the way his hero is 'fashioned') is tops, no two ways about it. It's just that I think Mani is not on the top of his game. Even within the early films, I prefer agni natchaththiram to this film.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus View Post
    Think of lines like "unna mAdhiri oru aNNan enakku irundhirundhA, en ammA unna eppavO vitteRinjuruppAnga." Such in-your-face lines in a Mani Ratnam film, are they usual?
    enna ipdi kaettutteenga...
    pidikkila... neenga thottaa kambilipoochi oorrura maadhiri irukku - said to a husband on his face...
    but in thalapathys case, its a collector uttering the dialogue to a local rowdy whom he thinks as the enemy of the state..
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    dhairiyaththukku (adhAvadhu indha character eppadi andha character kitta ippadiyellAm pEsum-nu ellAm) sollallainga, I mean the contrived nature of such an exchange of lines between the two (Arjun saying exactly what his mother actually did). To be fair, I think such an 'implausible' dialogue could be used to have a great dramatic effect, but then as k-g says, the problem is perhaps that Mani Ratnam is neither here nor there.
    Last edited by equanimus; 11th July 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i understand the context of that line with respect to surya and can very well understand how that thunderbold would have struck in surya's heart which actually mutes hiim for a brief moment..
    naanum dhairiyatthukku ellaam sollalai... just brought that in defence to answer ur question if in-your-face lines in a Mani Ratnam films are usual.
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That mute works for a brief while and RK at his best, in deed. But you have to accept that 'in-your-face'-ness of Swamy's dialogue is on another level entirely, compared to Revathy dialOk, considering the context of the whole plot and the film.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    accepted.
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Equa, akkini-layE paarunga. Karthik-Nirosha. Now what the hell was that? And he got away with that did not he? Agree thats not as central to the film as Surya-Deva is, but you get the point. And even the Ashok-Gautham confrontation scenes (the dialogue, which I can't recall now just before the famous errest him is in-your-face too, I mean using *that* as a weapon) are laborious. And the less said about the comedy track / climOx the better, very poor packaging and he actually loses control over the proceedings towards the end.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Agni, there's a stiltedness when either of the sons go to the 'other' family. This stiltedness was missing, no? It is what that makes Agni so naturalistic. Even the confrontations. The sons from being at each other's throat to saving their father from deep end, it was all well realized only, no?

Take that Arrest sequence, the 'lowness' on elite son's part, makes it interesting. Arjun has no chinks in his armour, hence the 1-dimensional stick to beat him with.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar moments in T: Rajini looking for collector saar runs into Shobana / Mammootty asking Rajini to kill collector saar. In Akkini Gautham saving Ashok's sis from the villain gang, that train scene, the tension between them, soober.