Thread: Thirumandiram in Russian

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Thirumandiram in Russian

Topic started by N.V.K. Ashraf (@ ncr-static-131.223.95.61.touchtelindia.net) on Tue Oct 26 07:40:12 EDT 2004.

It was a pleasant surprise for me to come across this web site which contains traslations of verses from Thirumandiram that talk about Yoga.

http://www.surajamrita.com/hinduism/Tirumandiram/content.html

Thirumandiram is now becoming popular in the West ever since the recent publication by Marshall Govindan (Translator B. Natarajan) appeared in the West. Since Yoga is very popular in the West, the international edition of the Book has been presented as a "Text on Yoga and Tantra" though we all know it is also the sacred text of Saiva Siddhanta. The author Moolar is also a Siddhar and for that reason Thirumandiram is also a mystical work.

The Book has been reviewed by Georg Feuerstein, who translated Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, one of the great scholars and exponents of Yoga. The review is available at this following link.

http://www.babaji.ca/english/articles/thirumandiram.html

In fact Feuerstein has come out with a large book "YOGA TRADITION" (published by Motilal Banarsidass) wherein he freely quotes Thirumoolar. Information on this fine work is available here:

http://www.indiatravelogue.com/book/book18.html

Ironically, there is only one English translation of Thirumandiram available now (as far as I am aware of now). I am fascinated with this `cocktail work" on Saivism, Siddha medicine, Yoga, Tantra and Mysticism. It needs to be translated from different angles as Siddhars are known for their use of twilight language in their writings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

N.V.K. Ashraf (@ ncr-*) on: Thu Oct 28 05:57:21 EDT 2004

I am also keen to know if Thirumandiram has been translated into any other language other than English and this partial Russian translation.
    <a name="last"></a>

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ºýîìâÊø þÕ¸¢ÃÐ ±ýÚ ¿¢¨É¸¢¦Ãý.
    Back after a while...

Senior Member Regular Hubber NVK Ashraf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thirumandiram in Sanskrit? Very likely because it might in fact be easier to translate many of the veses into Sanskrit. Wondering if it has been translated into any other language apart from Russian, English and possibly Sanskrit. Malayalam is a possibility.
    Cling to the One Who clings to nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Translation in Hindi is available......

I just found out that a selection of 800 mantirams of Thirumandiram has been translated into Hindi in 1998.

The name of the book is:
    Tamil Agam - Sastra
    Thirumular Krit Tirumantiram

Ed. N. Mahalingam
    Translator: Dr. Ravinder Kumarseth
    Publishers: Sahitya Sodh Sansthan
    8A/141, WEA Karol Bagh

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Russians are more interested in Indian philosophical treaties and literary works. I just found that the Kural is available on the net in full in Russian! It is news to me that the Kural has been translated for the fourth time time in Russian. Already three translations exist. They are:

(i) Glazov, J.J and Krishnamurthi, A, thirukural, a book on virtu, politics and love, Moscow, 1963
    (ii) Glazov, J.J, thirukural in couplets with illustrations, Moscow, 1974
    (iii) The third translation of 550 verses, which is the rendering of Rajaji's Kural: The Great Book of Tiru-Valluvar, is available on the net: http://omnamahshivaya.narod.ru/libr/kural/index.htm
    (iv) The fourth is a translation done in the 90s. It is also available in full on the net. http://www.tirukkural.narod.ru

In fact this Russian translation is the only translation of the Kural available on the net in a language other than English.

Here is the official painting of Valluvar (also sending as attachment):