View Poll Results: Will this style attract any readers?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure! It is intelligent!

7 100.00%
  • Yuck! Are you nuts?

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trying out a new writing style - Chapter The First

Post Thanks / Like
    Badri it was simply great reading that. I took my own sweet time because I wanted to read it in one shot and there is only so much reading you can do when you have a half open cubicle. Plus my attention span is....um....what was I saying ? So I waited to read it in one go. This was worth the wait for me.
    I am not much for literary criticism but I feel you are sitting on something really big here. The mixing of the lore and humour is seamless. And it is not as if it is funny lines + sober description, as some tiresome writers try. You have managed to successfully keep the reader guessing the mood of the next line. While I'm ready to chuckle you throw intrigue at me. When I am struggling with the names and history you relieve me with the biting sarcasm.

I particularly love the parts where you talk to the reader calling yourself the chronicler. Reminds me of PGW. He had the habit of pausing the narrative and giving a bird's eye view of the plot as it stood ("for the sake of readers who, for no fault of their own, are not birds" - in Hot Water).
    Quote Originally Posted by sbadri99
    The astute reader would have without doubt surmised and given us credit for the rare sensitivity with which we have alluded to the gentleman’s frame, by using such a discreet word as portly, while lesser authors might have easily accused him of being obese, overweight, corpulent or even fat!
    This was right up there with an all time favourite one from Wilde
    Opposite was the Duchess of Harley, a lady of admirable good-nature ..................and of those ample architectural proportions that in women who are not duchesses are described by contemporary historians as stoutness.

Having said all that I'll also say something I felt. PP earlier talked about 'quality and quantity of readership' so i shall piggy-back on that. This is way I make a point without actually saying anything elitist like 'quality and quantity are antithetical.

There were about two instances where I felt you explained the punchline. For example:
    “He’s the most well-informed person in D’har, and I daresay, all of Gand’har, besides being the owner of some of the finest vineyards this side of the continent.”

“Ah, grapevine?”
    I loved it better without you giving it away. It sounded clever even without you saying "Ah Grapevine", infact it was naughty and clever. But hey that's just me.
    Great stuff. Eager to see it in print.

PS:I can spot an Obelixian obsession with the pretty nose !
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Wohoo! That was some feedback, PR!!! Many thanks for the same! Really flattered that you wanted to take time out to read it, and still more flattered for writing out this elaborate critique!

Yes, the grapevine bit...I did deliberate on it, and then gave into the dastardly temptation of explaining a joke!

I know it might be insulting to rare intelligences, but...well, still of two minds whether to take it out or let it be!

I can spot an Obelixian obsession with the pretty nose !
    Har har!! Right on all counts except one - I'm not so sure it is a pretty nose!

By the way, moved to Chennai, eh?
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, moved to Chennai, eh?
    Yes. From 'Maanbumigu Maanavan' to 'Uzhaippaali'
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Badri
    has this been published yet?
    if so could you please post the 'title', i'll be sure to buy it from a genuine bookshop.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345