Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crockpot or slow cooker recipes

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Crockpot or slow cooker recipes

I recently started experimenting with the crockpot. It is great. I set it up in the morning. When you return home in the evening, the food is ready and tastes like freshly made. I use premade chappati and dinner is ready. Here is my recipe for Chole

1 can Garbanzo
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    2 potatoes
    Chole masala and salt to taste
    1 Onion cut in small pieces

Cut the potatoes into cubes and cook in the microwave for 1 min. Potatoes need to be slightly precooked. Brown the cut onions. Even if you put the onions raw, it comes out good. Wash the garbanzos. Put all the ingredients in the crockpot. Add Chole masala and salt. You need to add a little extra masala since the masala gets inside everything.
    Cook on high for 6-8 hrs. You have a great chole. The potatoes come out soft with the masala soaked all the way in, but still retaining the shape.

If anyone tries any new recipes, post them here. Doing a little research on the internet any recipe can be modified for crockpot. There are just a few rules. Root vegetables need to be precooked. You need to add extra spices. Beans have to be presoftened.

Shyamala

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread... Slow cooker is very useful for office goers ,for sure... I read somewhere that all kinds of dhals are best cooked in slowcooker...

Dhum Biriyani is best cooked in the slowcooker...Hope you know that the hyderabadi biriyani is cooked overnight to get the best taste & aroma... So ,U can probably try out biriyani...

I don't have a slowcooker...so couldn't try it out... Am planning to get one soon...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,

I don't have slow cooker now. But planning to buy soon like you. Have you done any research on which brand is good and how big of slow cooker we really need for small family..

I would appreciated your input. thanks.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev
    Could u pls elaborate the method of preparing dum biryani in slow cooker ..
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pr,

I've not tried it in crockpot...But I have heard how it's done in crockpot...the initial masala making is the same as we do for dhum Biriyani... But the difference is that after layering the masala & half cooked rice,instead of the usual 45 mins dhum in cooker,U'll have to put it in crockpot & cook for around 3-4hrs...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,

Can you post the dhum briyani recipe in detail please for a slow cooker. And also any other briyanis that can be done likewise in slow cooker.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have a crockpot so no crockpot recipe but I have microwave rice recipe which will be ready in 30-40 minutes from start to finish. I can give the recipe if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear napolims445
    Please post the recipe for microwave biryani when u get time .
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Name of the recipe is-
    M3P (Mint, methi, moong sprouts pulav)

I came up with this recipe recently when I had to prepare lunch box for my office and had these veggies in small quantities left and did not have time for any cutting and normal cooking ..

Serves 2 (just by itself and nothing else)

1-Basmati rice- 1.5 cups
    2-Mint - 1 sprig chopped
    3-methi leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
    4-Moong sprouts - 1/2 cup (may be more or less as u prefer)
    5-ginger garlic paste- 1 heaped tsp
    6-Green chillies - 2 chopped
    7-coriander - 6-10 big sprigs chopped
    8-elaichi- 2
    9-clove- 3
    10-dalchini- .5 X 1.5 inch stick
    11-garam masala pwd- 1 tsp
    12-bay leaf- 2
    13-salt- 1.5-2 tsp (ur taste)
    14-red chilli pwd- if u think u need after u add green chillies
    15-lime juice- 1-2 spoons

In kadai add seasoning as usual and then add 5, 6, 7, 8 ,9 , 10 and 12 and immediately add in the order of 4, 3, 2. and saute for a while like 3-4 minutes and then add 11 and mix it and then add washed basmati rice and half of the chopped coriander. saute for a while till u smell all flavours blended(as u normally do for any pulav or rice) and now put this microwave rice cooker and add water 3.5-4 cups of water (this proportion and also the microwave time depends on ur microwave strength) and then add salt and taste and if u think u need more spicy taste add the red chilli powder and mix everything well in water. and now microwave for 18-20 minutes and after microwave do not open for 5-10 minutes. and after that open and fluff the rice and add remaining coriander and lime juice.

M3P is ready
    enjoy with any raita/pickle!!
    I'm very excited about this recipe..
    Please let me know ur feedbacks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sujathakannan,

I've no idea as to which brand of crockpot is good...But one of my friend has a crockpot that's made from stone(not the metal one) ...& he said it's good...I believe such kind of stone vessels/crockpot etc will be available in Japanese/Chinese stores...

& regarding biriyai recipe,again, I'll have to get it from my friend... She makes one of the best biryanis... It's a calicut(muslim) style biriyani...
    I love her biriyani but never tried to learn it from her...coz i can always ask her to make it for me...easier,right?.... & it might take some time for me to post the recipe(maybe a month or so)...pls bear with me until then...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast