Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25. ENGIRUNTHO AZHAIKKUM EN GEETHAM

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Temple City : Madurai / Capital city : New Delhi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel valayosai kalakalavena was more good than engiruntho azhaikkum. ( pronunciation as well as voice)
    yvs mani

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajeskrv,

Deiva Cheyal was produced by Dandayuthapani films in 1967. It was starred by Muthuraman and happened to be an utter flop. Then Devar took Hathi Mere Saathi in 1971, it became an instant hit. It was said that within the first few weeks Devar recovered the cost of production and the rest was to be profit. On hearing the good news of the great success of the movie in the north, Dever went to Maruthamalai to perform a special pooja. It was in 1972 that Devar did the Tamil version using MGR and KR Vijaya.

Hathi Mere Saathi would ever be in the history of Malaysia. Circus shows were not performed in Malaysia for some years. And so when Hathi Mere Saathi was screened, it drew people from all races, including children and adults. That was the only movie that ran for 185 days at the Royal Theatre in the Penang Island. An average run of any best Hindi movie never exceeded two weeks in my country.

Manisekaran

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    guys, please use this thread to gain knowledge, not to thrust your opinions.

manisegaran is an encyclopaedia in tamil movies and music; he can make mistakes of course, but pls be mindful of passing careless remarks. I have seen these going on for quite a while.

please add value to the discussions.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mani AvargalE,

I read with great interest all your valuable contributions. My remarks were on some points in those posts that followed yours.
    Please keep contributing your thoughts on TFM's most cherished MD.

And now no more distractions from my side.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Manisekaran

I am really sorry. I have seen this movie long time remember. Also I doubt whether I can make out whether it is IR's Village.

Also for your info. I have enjoyed one more 3 hours full program by IR when he came to PERIYAKULAM (Near Theni) and all the 3 hours he was standing and giving signs to the MUSICIANS. This was one of the best musical night I have enjoyed with IR in front. He was so dedicated and output was fantastic. All were Very Very melodious songs. KJ/Chitra/Susheela - all were there. KJ & Susheela - Singing KANNAN ORU KAI KUZHANTHAI, Chitra Started with 'YAETHOTHO YENNAM VALARTHANE' and IR Ended with 'RAJA RAAJAATHI RAAJAN INDHA RAJA'. PS was also singing 'KAALAI THENDRAL PAADI VARUM'. It was a great evening. I was just looking at IR's action for full 3 hours. I will give small sample. When 'VAZHAIYOSAI KALA KALAVENA' song was going on, in the interlude, 'KANNAE UN KAN PATTA KAAYAM', IR was just (little) raising his hands and All violin went UP. Just hear the song once again and go thru' my text. U will enjoy it.

U R always welcome to our area (theni District), if possible visit my native (Bodi) and U can visit our family members.

I have enjoyed 6 to 7 IR's Music Concerts and most of them In Madras.

Regards

M Madhanraj

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this whole Hindi influence changing after IR is just a story wafted around by some sections of the media/audience. Like someone else pointed out a significant section of the urban audience continued to listen to Hindi songs even in the 80s. Composers like Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Bappi Lahiri etc. were invited to compose in TFM and they even managed a few hits like Uyire Unakaaga etc.
    Tezaab, QSQT etc. were very popular in the late 80s. IR's influence was more in the rural segment of the audience due to the numerous village movies he composed music for and the folk flavor in his music.
    And secondly, Both MSV and IR have drawn inspiration from a number of old HFM compositions. Senthamizh then mozhiyaaL's opening lines/sandham was from an old HFM song. So was "aayiraththil oruthi amma nee" by TMS from"ajeeb dastaan yeh hai" by Lata M and so on.
    So I guess we can put this to rest.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Digression:

"I think MSV set the lyrics to tune most of the time. This way he was constrained or could give music only to the sandhams of the favored/limitied lyricists. Fortunately, there were talented lyricists who gave more meaningful words."

The "sandham" inherent in the lyrics can always be modified by the MD setting the tune. In many songs, MSV
    completely changes and introduces new sandhams even for pre-written lyrics by virtue of how he splits,twists, elongates and shortens certain words of the lyrics while setting the tune. He was the best at that.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mani Sir,

"When Raja came to the industry, there was a craze to copy Hindi tunes into Tamil songs"

I think graghavan and music4ever are discussing about the above sentence from your posting. In my opinion there was craze for Hindi songs in Tamilnadu before IR's entry - not to copy. That craze died after IR's entry due to 2 reasons.

1) Quality of Hindi songs and movies declined in the 80s
    2) IR was delivering better quality than HFM.

Generally there is a habit by Hardcore IR fans to degrade others (MDs, Directors, Lyricists, Singers) to praise IR. Unfortunately the sentence quoted above seem to fall in this category. We just do NOT want to hear something like that coming from a well-informed person like you.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the risk of digressing further, I quickly offer the rationale that my post was motivated by Mani's desire to welcome diverse views. Were it not for that, I would have been still a silent reader.

Lest a few here misunderstand my intent, it is not my desire to tarnish a MD of IR's ilk and stature; his achievement is unparalleled in TFM history.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us do NOT want to hear things that contradict certain opinions WE HOLD DEAR, even when they are true

Sometimes, the truth may be so obvious and kasappu but even then we tend to minimize it / sugar coat it by some round-about explanations or focussing on insignificant stuff / half-truths etc (for e.g. claiming deteriorating quality which is not possible to objectively quantify in art forms and ever arguable or using skewed segmentation statistics like `chennai was still differnt -it was only a rural phenomena'...well movies were still produced by kodambakkam and not in madurai or pannaipuram..., weakness of competition, classical impurity, inspirations, exceptions etc.)

That Raja changed both the musical and listening trend wholesale in TN is an outright fact regardless of whether we want to hear that or not - though it may be arguable whether it was for the better or otherwise.

This can be easily seen from the level of importance given to MD in the TF industry from his entry onwards (please compare this with the level of importance given to MD's before in TFM or even today in say Malayalam, Telugu or Kannada industries - even the latest status in TF for most MD's is dismal with the possible exception of ARR; Similarly compare the extent one used to hear Hindi songs in say Bangalore or Hyderabad or Kochi v/s in Chennai)

(Likewise it is true that Rahman once again changed both the musical and listening trend in TN, for better or otherwise. MSV fans try to minimize the Raja trend and so are the Raja fans who try to minimize the Rahman trend.)

tezaab, QSQT were big hits like qurbani, disco dancer and certain other hindi stuff...even boneyM-ABBA-MJ-Madonna were a rage among college students in TN, but I didn't see anyone trying to identify himself with ONLY that music in the 80's thus totally alienating from TFM (which was definitely the snob prior to Raja, many didn't want to claim listening mgr-sivaji songs regardless of whether they enjoyed them or not).

Those alternate music sources (hindi/ western) became PART of the collections during Raja era - along with Raja's, TR's and even Shankar Ganesh's outputs (including his dubbed bappi-lahari stuff like in aboorva sahodarigal). However, to quote LP's uyire unakkaga album to say there was `still hindi influence' implying no big Raja trend (when posters were showing MD's pictures all around TN and recording centers were mushrooming with big Raja oil-paintings etc) is quite away from the reality, IMHO...

My humble request to such nay-sayers, please talk to a Keralite and say KJY was just a singer who delivered the creative output of someone else...or KSC only played to the tune of someone and check the response)) Don't risk injury if you're inside Kerala or in the gulf) (These two are the poster stars in any music shop in Kerala along with LM...you can't see devarajan master or ouseppachan etc)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast