Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keerai varieties we get in the U.S.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Keerai varieties we get in the U.S.

Hubbers in U.S.,

I want a favor from you all...I want to make it a habit to cook keerai atleast once every week. To do this all I have been doing these days is keep alternating between bunch spinach (that can be got in Wal-mart) and methi leaves (vendhaya keerai that can be got in Indian grocery stores). It's getting boring to keep repeating only these 2 types, because not variety of keerai kootu and masiyal can be made out of these 2.

I want to know if anyone is aware of similar keerai varieties available in India that we can get in Wal-mart or other stores here in the U.S. Though I find lots of greens in Wal-mart, I don't pick them becos Iam not sure what keerai they are from their names here, and how they would taste if cooked in Indian methods.??!!

Appreciate responses...thanks,
    Nalabaagam.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hai nalabaagam,

if you have any chinees stores or Thai or karebean stores near by your area go to search it, b'ze we were in FL., we got the different varieties of spinach like we are getting in India (ex: drumstick leaves, valla keerai in tamil and other also available), now we are living in near Boston, here also i am getting the different types of keerai varieties and also Indian veg., is cheaper than the Indian stores. check it out.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

hi hemakk

hi hema,

Iam also having the same problem like nalabagam.I also have 17 month old girl and i hardly give her greens.i feel that she may get cold if she eats spinach and methi.i too live near boston
    (in westborough).can u please sugest any shops for finding keerai here.by the way where r u in boston?

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hai hemakk

I also stay near Boston may i know which indian stores has different greens . I usually get only Spinach .

Thanks a lot

Priya

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hai hubbers

Yes when spinach is the only greens available it is boring to have it in the same way . But here is a recipie which iI have tried and is very tasty

Spinach chappathi
    Wheat flour 2 cups
    Spinach a bunch
    Jeera powder 1 tsp
    Garam masala powder 1tsp
    Salt to taste

Take wheat flour and add salt ,chopped spinach . jeera and garam masala powder

Add minimum water and the knead the flour to make it soft.

Heat a pan. Fry the chappathi when the pan is hot and dry. Add a tsp of oil along the edges.

Serve with any chutney or raitas

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

keerai

Hi,

We can use Beetroot leaves and radish leaves as spinach. Though these are not tasting as good as our keerais, we can use it.

Thanks!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like swiss chard, Its very nice . we make a subji which is very tasty with roti or rice. I find it tastes similar to the red keerai we get in India.

Swiss chard = chard = spinach beet = leaf beet = seakale beet = silver beet = white beet Notes: Swiss chard is used much like spinach, except that it has an appealing beet-like flavor and a heavier texture, which requires longer cooking. Many cooks simply sauté it in olive oil and serve it as a side dish. Red chard = rhubarb chard = ruby chard, with green leaves and red stalks, is slightly more tender and flavorful than white chard = green chard, with white stalks and green leaves, but the two are interchangeable in most recipes. Substitutes: beet greens OR spinach OR turnip greens OR bok choy OR escarole OR mustard greens

Also we have Mustard greens readily available. All of us have heard of sarson ka saag, Its a famous side dish made in punjab, Mustard greens is very healthy.

Look for swiss chard & mustard greens from april throu august.
    Bhargavi.Raj

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

collard greens

Try Collard greens - available in all american grocery stores.
    It is so good to make poorial. It taste so close to agathi keerai.
    Chop finely including the tender stem and make the poorial.

Happy Cooking

- Gayathri

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hai all,

i am living in Rhode Island,providence. i will check and will post the correct route where i am getting all the spinach.

i am getting the different type of spinach, bunch of curry leaves, mint, g.chilly, ind.veg., in Thai store or Chinees store, not in Indian store. its cheaper than the Indian store.

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is very useful. Thks to all who gave info abt keerais.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast