Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Karnataka Recipes!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato
    I guess the beans in the pic are called 'chapparada avarekai' in kannada, but not sure. pls suggest some recipes using it. Found it in 'little India' and brought a small qty, but I've never used it b4.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/10...1098574332.jpg
    tomato,

the veggies in the pic is avarakka in malayalam & avarakkai in tamil. from what i gather from my cook books, it's called chappara davara in kannada, pedda chikkudu in telugu, broad beans in english and sem in hindi.

you can make koottu, thoren, parippusli etc., they also taste good when put in saambaar.

regards,
    shoba

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know avarakka as broad beans too but here in US groceries u get a variety which looks exactly like our avarakkai but is called snow peas.another variety is snap peas.r they one and the same as avarakka?can anyone tell if they taste same or different?

regards,
    rain

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rain,
    avarekai and peas family are in no way related and similar.
    Peas is batani(kannada).

Hope this helps..

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rain,

The snow peas actually tastes a bit sweet when cooked.Some people steam & eat it in salads with salt & pepper.

Regards,
    Kate.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you friends. I made porial/thoren/palya (whatever u call it). I used the 'koora karam' powder from the andra thread for it. Also added grated coconut. It was good . Will try out sambhar next time I buy it.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi kate,

thanks for the info.do u string them like green beans and r they good for stir-fry?

rain

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rain,

The snow peas doesn't have strings as far as I have used(But just in case see if there are strings & remove them)They are very tender.Just microwave them with sprinkled water & salt.Then season them with mustard seeds,urid dal & curry leaves & add these to the peas & stir fry for some time.It has a slightly sweet taste & a little bland.U can try it for a change.

Chinese do these stir fry a lot.It is a very healthy recipe as u use very little or no oil.

Try it & let us know if u liked the taste.

Regards,
    Kate.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    can anyone pls give me the recipe for akki roti , the one which has grated coconut etc & is cooked with a hole in the middle?
    shreya

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shreya23
    hi
    can anyone pls give me the recipe for akki roti , the one which has grated coconut etc & is cooked with a hole in the middle?
    shreya
    I think CI has already posted this recipe. I will try to locate it.

Edited to add the recipe:

From: CI (@ 12-40-27-132.elpaso.com) on: Sat Jul 6 23:17:33

Hi,
    I guess I am late to post the recipe in this thread. I am from Karnataka, and there is a famous recipe from the place called "Akki Rotti". There are lots of varieties of akki rotti that you can make. I am giving the recipe for akki rotti using methi leaves.
    Ingredients:
    Rice flour
    salt,
    methi leaves,
    little cumin seeds(optional)
    Hing,
    water to make the dough
    little butter (this is optional too- just to blend the flour)
    Take rice flour in a bowl, add salt, hing, cumin and butter and mix well. After it has been mixed well, add methi leaves, slowly add water to make a thick but sticky dough.Divide them into orange sized rounds.Keep it covered.
    When you are ready to start making rottis, take a little bowl with water. Dip your hand in water to make it wet. Smear little oil on the tawa(cold one), and take a ball of dough and start patting it on the tawa until it becomes round and thin. Bake it as you bake the dosa. Serve it hot with any chutney of your choice (Usually it is coconut chutney).
    If you are living in U.S, faster way to do is to heat the tawa, and pat the dough on a wax paper or parchment paper (like you do for puran poli or Obbattu), then transfer it on to the tawa. This way, you don't have to wait for tawa to get cooled before patting the next rotti.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi red pepper
    thanks for having located the recipe.
    btw wanted to ask you this ,how long can we conserve the bittergourd pickle?and should we keep it in the fridge?bye
    shreya

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast