Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Hindi and Urdu

Senior Member Regular Hubber dr#'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Origin of Hindi and Urdu

There have been lots of threads about the rights or wrongs of hindi as a national language. Can anyone shed some light on how hindi evolved and tell us more about its supposed deccan origins?

also how different is urdu from hindi?

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Urdu is basically Hindi written in Farsi script. Urdu also borrows a lot of words from Farsi, but it sounds the same as Hindi when spoken.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard the current form of hindi(khadriboli) developed in delhi area around 500 yrs back. Actually it arose out of need for comminucation between invading moguls and local hindus. Initially it was dubbed as "Camp Language"
    Later the hindus gave it sanskrit flavour and called HINDI.
    Muslims gave it perso-arabic flavour and called it URDU.

I read the above fact in Malayala Manorama year book many years back.

Senior Member Regular Hubber dr#'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually i've read that in malayala manorama as well, which is why all this talk about deccan influence is news to me.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read in many books taht Hindi actually originated in the Deccan area, not in Delhi.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Urdu was created by Akbar. He wanted to unite all of India's religions and create a new religion called din-ilahi. For this new religion, he wanted to create a new language. So he took the Hindi language and mixed a few arabic words in it and adopted Arabic as the script and created the Urdu language. I think Urdu is 99% Hindi+1% Arabic written in arabic script. I am not sure of this, but I think most of the muslims who speak Urdu are followers of din-ilahi, which is a mix of Hinduism, Sikhism & islam.

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    Urdu was created by Akbar. He wanted to unite all of India's religions and create a new religion called din-ilahi. For this new religion, he wanted to create a new language. So he took the Hindi language and mixed a few arabic words in it and adopted Arabic as the script and created the Urdu language. I think Urdu is 99% Hindi+1% Arabic written in arabic script. I am not sure of this, but I think most of the muslims who speak Urdu are followers of din-ilahi, which is a mix of Hinduism, Sikhism & islam.
    I rem. learning in history class at school tat Urdu was a mixture of Hindi+Kurdish(a dialect spoken in Iraq, the counting of nos. in this lingo is same as in Hindi)+Persian.......but neways, history, which is nevertheless a mystery, is known to hav more than 1 version..... if u let ur curiosity overcome u, u'll get too embedded inside it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by visu
    Initially it was dubbed as "Camp Language".
    Hey yeaa.....tat rings a bell....I just rem'd. learning tat too, in school, many yrs ago! Feels so exciting to walk down memory lane

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HindustaniLadka
    I have read in many books taht Hindi actually originated in the Deccan area, not in Delhi.
    No mate! That doesn't make sense. Hndi is closer to north indian languages like haryanvi nepali bengali not deccan languages. Under Hyderbad Nawab Hindustani got a presence in the area that's all. Actually its called Deccani. You could take that as a Dialect. Remember Bhojpuri(Bihar) is also lingustically counted as Hindi. I would say Hindi is a collection of various Dialects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstanher
    Quote Originally Posted by visu
    Initially it was dubbed as "Camp Language".
    Hey yeaa.....tat rings a bell....I just rem'd. learning tat too, in school, many yrs ago! Feels so exciting to walk down memory lane
    Heyyyyyyyy no waitaminit!! I just rem'd- twas URDU tat was invented as 'Camp lang.'......not Hindi! Good to refresh onez memory once in a while

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast