View Poll Results: HAS THE ALL-CONQUERING, "WORLD-CLASS", GEN-X INDIAN GIRL ARRIVED?!!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sania is indeed a Paradigm Shift towards the GEN-X Indian Girl

6 40.00%
  • Sania-Mania would last for some time and then she may even fizzle out

3 20.00%
  • Sania-who?!!

6 40.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sania Mirza! Is she the Paradigm Shift in Gen-X Indian girl?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus

Does anyone remember Shikha Uberoi (US open '04, second round loss to Venus), although she is an American citizen, she is a PIO and everyone was pinning their hopes to see an 'Indian' star rise to international fame..Wonder what she is up to now?
    I think she now plays for India,recently she had teamed up with Sania to play doubles in some tournament.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    There was another Hyderabadi gal who was making waves 4-5 years back - Uzma Khan. She eloped with Noel David the Indian spinner and has settled abroad now

Good time to look back on golden moments of Indian tennis. Mohamed Ghouse was one of the first Indians to get a slot in Wimbledon in 1939. The tradition of the Krishnans was started in the 50s. By that time, TK Ramanathan the father of Ramanathan Krishnan was a respected tennis coach. Ramanathan Krishnan won Junior Wimbledon(54 I think), and reached the semis of Wimbledon in 1960 and '61. By that time, India had a great squad with the Calcutta twins Jaideep Mukherjea(sic) and Premjit Lall.
    Lall was a talented chap who during one of Rod Laver's Grand Slam sweeps(1962 & 1969), led Laver 2 sets up in the second round at Wimby. He had a severe attack of cramps in the elbow in the 3rd set and could barely hit a ball. Laver won the next 3 sets and had a lucky escape. Laver genially acknowledged Lall by saying "Fortunately, a lot of cement lodged in the elbow of the construction engineer(Lall) and helped me sweep the Slams".

Ramanathan's famous win of all was in the Davis Cup of 1966 when he beat Koch of Brazil in a thrilling five setter in the deciding game. India went to the finals in 1974 but forfeited to South Africa.
    By then Amritraj brothers had come up and Krishnan retired after the 74 Cup I think. Ramesh Krishnan sprung up impressively with his Junior Wimbledon win in 1979.

Onto more recent memories. Vijay could never translate his early talent, though winning against Wilander in Davis Cup '85 at Bangalore.
    1987 was an unforgettable year for the high drama it produced!! India were meeting Argentina in the pre-quarters in March 1987. Argentina had the 23rd ranked Martin Jaite and clay courter De La Pena in the singles. Ramesh(ranking in the 40s I think) was still fresh from his Wimby QFinal showing in June 86 and his Hong Kong open win in Dec 86.

There was plenty of drama going on, as the Pre-Quarters began on Friday March 13 1987. The deciding final Test between India and Pakistan was beginning in Bangalore the same day. I had gone to school and it was our Sports Day. We spent the whole day loitering around the grounds watching the events and eating endless amounts of chocolates - no classes that day!

I returned home to see my Dad getting back to office after a late lunch. "Ramesh in killer form", he informed and left. Indeed, Jaite was looking so clueless on TV. Ramesh was whipping out his gentle velvette-touch passing shots and clinched the first 2 sets over a novice-like Jaite.
    DD now turned to Bangalore for the Test. Maninder's 7-27 had sent Pakistan crashing to 116. India ended the day at 100-4 on a killer pitch.
    Cricket over, I was surprised that DD was taking us back to tennis, since we'd seen cricket for close to 2 hours. And before us was the shocking spectacle of a triumphant Jaite scoring a comeback win over Ramesh!

Saturday Mar 14:
    DD began with the bangalore test and Vengsarkar smashing the ball to all parts of the ground on a pitch where there was no scope for survival. The ball jumped and spat like a cobra and India allout 145, Vengsarkar topscore of the match with 50.

At 2 pm, back to the Davis Cup doubles. Javier Frana was junior world #1 and with Christian Minussi, easily overpowered the Amritraj Brothers in 4 sets. Frana went on to win several Grand Slams later in doubles. A short leftie with lightning reflexes at the net!

Sunday Mar 15:
    DD began with cricket and Pakistan consolidating their innings. At 12, they went back to tennis and India needing to win both the last 2 matches. 35 year old Vijay ranked in the 150s was playing 23rd ranked Jaite who was in early twenties.

Cricket coverage continued into the afternoon, DD flashing the tennis score from time to time. Jaite was comfortably cruising to victory demolishing Vijay in the 3rd set and coasting along in the 4th. DD didnt want to demoralise us by showing tennis and carried on the cricket. At matchpoint they brought us back to tennis, just to watch the formalities. Not a moment too soon

Down by match point, Vijay played a delicate drop volley that barely sailed over the net, dropping dead on the other side, bringing deuce. The rest was history - Indian tennis never seen anything quite like that...the ageing warrior fought back to clinch the fourth set, and breezed through the fifth in front of a hysterical crowd and even more hysterical drawing rooms throughout the nation!

Which left Ramesh and De La Pena to fight out the decider. DD now went back to cricket. Pak all out 249, leaving India 220 to chase and win the series. Srikkanth was caught behind off Akram and Miandad expertly sledged the incoming Amarnath. Effective ploy, next ball Amarnath played an airy fairy shot and edged, India 2 down. They ended the day 51-2, with the other legend of the day Gavaskar playing his last innings.

Back to tennis now and Ramesh now let his pristine game flow on all sides. De La Pena came with some amazing shots too. But the touch artiste matched him shot for shot and India were through to the quarterfinal

De la Pena did beat McEnroe two months later in French Open 87.

The next day was a rest day for the Bangalore test and the final day's play was on Mar 17. It was a tuesday evening when we were playing in the school ground. The schoolbus arrived and we raced in, picking our bags. The news came forth that India lost by 16 runs and the series. A stunned silence followed for the next hour

more recollections later

Post Thanks / Like
    here are the scores:
    R1 - V.AMRITRAJ (IND) def. H.DE LA PENA (ARG)
    9-7 6-3 6-3
    R2 - M.JAITE (ARG) def. R.KRISHNAN (IND)
    1-6 3-6 6-3 6-2 6-3
    R3 - J.FRANA / C.MINIUSSI (ARG) def. A.AMRITRAJ / V.AMRITRAJ (IND)
    6-3 6-4 3-6 8-6
    R4 - V.AMRITRAJ (IND) def. M.JAITE (ARG)
    3-6 3-6 6-4 8-6 6-2
    R5 - R.KRISHNAN (IND) def. H.DE LA PENA (ARG)
    6-4 7-5 6-2

India were slated to meet Israel in the Quarterfinal and at that time, due to Rajiv's support for PLO, India were boycotting all ties with Israel. So there was high chances of the tie being forfeited to Israel!
    One summer day, The Hindu brought an interview with Vijay where he said he had played his last match if the govt doesnt approve the tie with Israel - a shocking and tragic end to a great player's career!
    However Vijay was also chairman of the ATP and used his diplomatic skills to great effect, engineering talks with the powers-that-were and got the tie fixed up. Ind b Israel to set up a semifinal clash with Australia for Oct 87

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    I think she now plays for India,recently she had teamed up with Sania to play doubles in some tournament.
    Interesting Cinefan! I just found out that Sania was the first ever Indian woman to win a grand slam event, in the girls junior doubles category in Wimbledon 2003. She has also done well in the French (reached semis) juniors! That's quite inspirational!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cygnus,While I am hopeful about Sania's ability to prove herself in the Senior women's tennis,te junior grandslams should not be considered as a big stage or winning there a big achievement.Many Indians have already won junior grandslams.

We shouldn't be so proud about the little successes of our boys and girls,unless they compete as men and women and still win.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cygnus!

hi there! sorry for not responding!

I recently saw a news item on TV, only a fleeting glance though, which talked of that Shikha preparing for some match here in india, probably what cinefan says is right - she is here in india after all!

And thanks for reminding me of the Junior wimbledon Doubles-win by Sania!

I thought Junior events did not count towards "Grand slam" as such or do they (in a purely academic sense of it) ??

Even if we can count it as a "Grand slam" i feel blah2 is rite - Sania has to prove herself by atleast getting into the top 20-25 of the wta rankings!

But walrus,

Junior wibledon win - "Grand slam"-a? illiyaa?!!

If it is "grand slam" win - then i was right nah!! udane vanthu oru 10 thOppu karanam pOdunga!

illAtti pOnAp pOvuthu - athAN yErkanavE correct pannitene post-a?!!

And thanx a lot for those stats!!

hey I remember a "rotund" Ramesh Krishnan Playing in that period's wibledon and also that Davis cup tie that yu mention!!

He had a good conservative "non power" game - but his Physique let him down i think!

His serve too wasnt that much effective - Becker had already arrived by then and so the "power comparison" was unavoidable na?!!

Ramesh's belly always got in the way!!

Vijay was a lot more athletic!

But my memories of that era is awash with that "Greek God" looking??!!!! IVAN LENDL!!!!!!!

For me he was the last of the "conservative" Greats strictly speaking - In the late 80s, For 157 weeks Lendl held that No.1 rank continuosly!!

I think it was Pete Sampras who broke that record much later - Jim courier and Agassi didnt break it no?

Pat cash was just a flash in the pan, stefan edberg did not reach the zenith. Becker was the most inspiring to watch while playing - his zeal and spirit unmatched!!

But Lendl!! - he was the perfect 5-setter man(which latter went to Pete sampras)

Hey compare Lendl with his contemporaries a bit walrus!! and reel out some stats from your "seal" pack!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    geno,
    nice to know you prefer Lendl ahead of all the more colorful characters of that era. i was also a diehard Lendl fan.(in fact all my big idols have names beginning with I - IVA Richards, Ivan Lendl, Imran Khan, Ilaiyaraaja)

One of my biggest fantasies is a tearjerker tamil movie based on Lendl with Sivaji or kamal playing the lead role, and the movie filled with opparis after every wimbledon loss

Post Thanks / Like
    "Grass is for cows!!" - dialogue-a Sivaji eppidi pEsuvAru?!!!

Kamal pEsurathu easy!!! Sivaji antha "gauravam" Lawyer Rajinikanth mathiri "GRASS!! is for COWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSS!!! hugggghhhhhh!!" nu pOttu kadichu thuppiduvAru!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    chE! intha Pat cash illAtti 1987-la Lendl Wimbledon jeyichiruppAru!

appuRam ozungA antha Junior Wibledon win - Grand slam-a illiya-nu clarify pannidunga! illA...!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Issac Vivian Alexander Richards - is my all time fav Cricketer too!

antha "emperor" Gait while he walked either into or out of the cricket field - was awesome!!

ILaiyaraja! incomparable!

(aanA avaru vAyai thiRakkAma irunthAlthAn!! pEsa ArambichArunnA - romba koduma paduthidarAru sila samayam! pArunga - recently "thiruvaasagam" symphony veLiyitta pOthum kooda - vazakkamA solRAppula "isaikku mozhi illa-nu solraru!

..but "thiruvaasaga"thin thamizh-thaan, antha uLLam urukkum uNarvu poorvamAna mozhithAN - athan perumaiyE!

ippidi "Same side goal" pOdaama irunthArunnA nallA irukum!

even this jesudoss - is nowadays idiotically saying - "i have corrupted carnatic music by singing in all "those" cinema songs! so now i am doing "penance" by singing the "true" form of carnatic"-nu ippO ellAM sabhas-la dialogue pesurAru!!

ivau cinema-la pAdi sambaarichu thAna - ivlo periya Aalaanuru! pasangala US-ku anuppi padikka vachAru!!

appuram - onnum theriyaatha pappA mathiri ennathukku ippidi pesanum!!

idhai nAN TFM- page-la pEsinA yArAvathu varuthappaduvaanga! aanaalum "pulambaama" irukka mudila! )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast