View Poll Results: HAS THE ALL-CONQUERING, "WORLD-CLASS", GEN-X INDIAN GIRL ARRIVED?!!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sania is indeed a Paradigm Shift towards the GEN-X Indian Girl

6 40.00%
  • Sania-Mania would last for some time and then she may even fizzle out

3 20.00%
  • Sania-who?!!

6 40.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sania Mirza! Is she the Paradigm Shift in Gen-X Indian girl?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ofcourse her achievements are commentable. But too much hype is given which will ultimately hamper her performance.

She has a long way to go and lets just hope the media glare doesnt get to her head.

I am not sure if the media is interested in her because of her success or her looks. At least the way news reports are published the later seems to be happening.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very true Sandeep.While we appreciate her small achievements we simply shouldn't kill her at this point.I have read somewhere that if it was in U.S. no one would have noticed her achievement.For us this is something new,for them not.

I watched the Dubai open QF which she lost and people simply pressurised her to as extent that she was nothing of her usaual self.

And JG,playing with a major injury is not appreciated in the long term.Wecan call it the spirit,but it is certainly not professional.It may hamper her long term improvement.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

sania ..crazia...

Why this obsession with sania? ....... She has achieved nothing great. -deleted-

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sania ..crazia...

My response to THFI is being edited out.

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/mar/07spec.htm

Sania's ad fee has gone from 5.5lakh before her match with Serena to 1 crore now.Phew!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sania Mirza! Is she the Paradigm Shift in Gen-X Indian g

Quote Originally Posted by geno
    This hyderabadi gal is absolutely Breath-taking and Mind-boggling!

* First Indian woman to reach the Quarter-final of a Grand Slam event.
    When did Dubai Open become a Grand Slam?? She merely reached 3rd round of a Grand Slam, raasa!

Post Thanks / Like
    i donno if u saw her QF match - but the dubai indian crowd simply were acting like she's on the final of the wimbledon about to win!!!!
    Idhellaam pazhaya pallavi pa. Have you heard the noise in Davis Cup when India plays Aus or Sweden? The crowd brings the skies down when India wins a point, though the final score turns out to be 0-5.

My friend used to comment, "Davis Cup na kodhikkara veyyil-la Sampras/Courier-a aada vechu, kaattu kaththu kaththanum, tension-la thOthuruvaanunga!"

Not to dampen your enthusiasm though, good to see someone other than cricketers win fat contracts.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sania Mirza! Is she the Paradigm Shift in Gen-X Indian g

Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    This hyderabadi gal is absolutely Breath-taking and Mind-boggling!

* First Indian woman to reach the Quarter-final of a Grand Slam event.
    When did Dubai Open become a Grand Slam?? She merely reached 3rd round of a Grand Slam, raasa!
    achachO!! ippidi uLaRi mAttikittEnA?!!

ok ok! hehe hehehehe ! "arasiyalla ithellAm sAthAraNamappA"!! (goundamani style-la padikkavum! )

What i wanted to say was :

First Indian woman to beat the winner of a Grand Slam event.( she beat current US open champion, Svetlana - in the Dubai WTA tourney's league match)

beaten a Grand slam winner-nu solRathukku bathilA..!! hehehe!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    Hi geno,loong time,no see

Sania has done things which no other Indian(man/woman)has ever done in tennis,so she needs to be supported.But I think there is toooooo much media frenzy which may get distracting if the gal does not have her feet on the ground.It's too early to make predictions.Let's give her time&space,she may make a mark on the international scene.
    wow!! hey all of us guys are going gaga over this gal - but where r da hub gals?!!

cinefan - thanks for rebuking that insensitive guy talkin of religion! ellAthulaiyum religion-a koopidurAnunga

Sandeep,

I agree with ur view that she may be getting a bit overdose of media limelight - but this gal looks like she'll deliver the promise she has made - or atleast thas what i feel as of now.

blahblah!

Playing with injury! yes thas a defintie no-no for a budding player or for that matter anyone who plays.

I think its something to do with her will to push herself a bit further than reqrd. and may be she'll learn from her mistakes..let's only hope that she does not make any costly mistakes!

JG,

I too noticed her "gutsy" and spirited temperament in that match. ANd today - she was holding her "nth" press conf. and she declared im gonna push to be at the 17th spot from the current 77th!

Way to go gal!

walrus, - yes this nation "ATLAST" deserves to be freed from the monotony of the cricketing clutter!!!

bhaichung bhutia enna AnAru?? perusA foreign clubs-la ellAM pOi vilaiyAduvArunnu ninaichEn - i dont think hes lived up to the expectations - did he?

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, welcome back geno! Great to see you after so long

Well, I haven't voted in your poll yet, becuase I didn't even get to watch the Aussie Open, if not the other tournaments, in which Sania played. But to stick up to Serena, this gurl's got some 'guts', huh?

I remember the fleeting star that was Nirupama, but as far as I can recall, she was plagued by lack of financial support and a traveling coach. I hope Sania turns out at least half as good as she is hyped to be, not being cynical. just cautious of falling prey to over expectations.

So far I think, Sania has shown her mettle in hard courts. Can anyone post info on her game in clay and grass? I hope she can mix and match, especially the French Open coming up can be a tricky one to play on, if she is hard court oriented.

It is indeed great to see a woman tennis pro getting oodles of attention and ad contracts for a change. I am gonna watch out for this one, she seems quite promising

Does anyone remember Shikha Uberoi (US open '04, second round loss to Venus), although she is an American citizen, she is a PIO and everyone was pinning their hopes to see an 'Indian' star rise to international fame..Wonder what she is up to now?

Post Thanks / Like
    geno,
    TO be fair to Baichung, he was selected for Aston Villa and was one of the reserves there. Aston Villa's coach Taylor was the England coach then! Unfair to expect him to get as many chances in teh English league as Taylor would prefer some internationals to make the most of the league games.

Sonya Jeyaseelan is a Lankan Canadian who was in the top 50 from 1997-2002, I think she still plays.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast