Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: SUN TV & Other Recipe Collections

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Seedai question

Hi R, I made cheedai as per your instructions. It tasted good.But the color was very dark. If I took it out when it was light brown the cheedais were not cooked inside. Where did I go wrong? I fried these in medium heat.

- D

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for ur response,R

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

cheedai

Hi R,
    I tried your recipe for making uppu cheedai and vella cheedai. The taste was awesome.

I have a question about vella cheedai.. When I fried it started disintegrating (The outer layer came peeling off) . Any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks for sharing your recipe...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi D,

while making the seedai from rice flour, have to be extra careful as the quality varies to each other unlike from the raw rice.

If you make it in non stick vessel, could be one reason for to get darkened. Or, if the oil is very hot, better to switch off and cool down, then, should start doing.

Or, try to reduce the size of seedai and this will take faster time to cook properly and the chances of darkening will be less. If the oil is not sufficient, then, it will end up like hard seedais or kauduk, kaduk..

For all of yr informations, this time, made vella cheedai and before even the oil sound stopped completely, it was well cooked. When you take the seedais thro' yr laddle or spatula, will notice the difference between the cooked seedai & uncooked seedai.

These are the basic important points and the more you make, will know the correct method of taking out of the oil and other adjustments.

Hope this will help you a bit in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends,

Though it is a little late to inform you, but, a couple of points while making seedai to remember which was told by my grand mother.

1. While making balls, should not be any crack which is the reason for bursting. Make sure you are forming a ball like that.

2. After making balls, put it in a water absorbent like in white cloth; now, I recollected back in my home, my mother use to put the seedais in a big white cloth! Anyways, this will absorb water and water inside will cause the explosion.

3. Dry them out for an hr. Now, start making seedais.

Pls dont think that I am informing this after Krishna jayanthi is done. Unexpectedly, had a chance to talk to her and checked out with her if there could be any unknown points! Anyways, here it is..

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I made cheedai y'day using Mrs.Revathy Shanmugam's recipe in Festival recipes, it came out simply superb. I omitted the green chillies & added a tsp. of cumin seeds. Rest all, just correctly follow the recipe. Make the balls loosely [without pressing too hard], & spread on a double sheet of newspaper to dry for at least an hour.
    Then fry in low - med. flame, Guaranteed no bursting !!
    It was only bursting with crisp crunchy sounds while eating .
    Well worth a try, friends .
    Bye.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is another version of seedai which tried (from an older version of Iyengar cookery book) alongwith my version for this Krishna jayanthi.

Seedai(second version):

Rice flour 1 cup
    sesame seed 1/2 sp
    urad flour 2 sp
    salt 3/4 sp
    coconut grated 2 sp
    hing 1/4 sp
    butter 2 sp.

Sieve the flours and mix all the ingredients slowly till the butter gets coated evenly with all the flours. Now, add water little by little knead into a dough. Care to be taken that there is no crack while forming balls.

Take a white cloth or kerchief and put the balls, dry them for an hr. could be an alternative method becoz we have not fried these flours.

Would like to mismatch for the next time both of the methods like frying the flours and drying out in the cloth for an hr.

This time, prepared a very small balls which looks very attractive and also easy to cook and many advantages. App., took a cup and came around 50 seedais!

I made balls half of the seedais with a single and the others with both of the hands, still no problem. After the oil is hot, put a batch of seedai. cook until the golden brown color or the oil sound disappears.

Adjust with medium or low fire according to the seedai color. Becoz, many people were telling here that the color came out dark, but when I was making, wondered becoz kept the vessel in a big burner and also kept a min at high flame while pouring the seedais; then medium and sim alternatively till the end, before taking them out kept in high. Still, the color was so uniform. I suggest all of you to use iron vanali until we get some experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of days ago, Mrs.Revathy has shown making maida seedais in SUN TV; am yet to try her version. But, soon, will post all of her useful tips regarding gas adjustments etc. Certainly, it will be useful to all of us.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    SUN'S recipes are as follows:

Instant burfi:

Milk powder 2 cups
    cream 300 ml or 1 1/4 cup
    almond, cashew 2 tbsp each
    sugar 1 to 1 1/2 cup

Mix powder, sugar & cream beat well for 1 or 2 mts. Microwave for 5 mts(check in the middle). After 5 mts, check whether it is dry or not. If not, microwave for again a couple of mts or till you get the right consistency.

Transfer the sweet to a greased plate and flat it equally. Garnish with nuts & add cardamom powder. Cut into pieces. Enjoy!!

Points from me:

You can use non fat milk powder and instead of cream, substitute with 1 or 2 % milk, still the taste will come out nicely which is for sure. That is how I made.

In between, it was overflowing becoz of milk, dont know. So, for the first 4 mts, prepared in microwave and later, started making on the stove top and finished preparing the sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paruppu paniyaram:

Thoor dal 1 cup
    par boiled rice 1/2 cup
    salt
    curry leaves & coriander leaves little
    green chillies 4 to 5 cut
    onion 1 small

Soak rice & dhal and grind together in between the consistency of nice & coarse. Ferment the batter, add the remaining things and proceed doing paniyaram.

Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast