Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: SUN TV & Other Recipe Collections

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    To start with, coconut pooranam which we call with so many names like kalyana poli as it is an important dish, so no traditional people will miss the sweet.

For the dough, it is not a rule to use only with maida. You can even prepare with wheat flour or 50/50.

Thengai pooranam:

coconut, channa dal 1 cup each
    vellam 1 1/4 cup
    cardamom powder
    cashew nut optl. 1 tbsp

Soak channa dal for 30 mts and cook. Drain water and grind with the other ingredients. If it is thick, dont have to cook on the stove; otherwise, have to stir for some time.

Instead of a long time cooking, when it is little thick, switch off and refrigerate them; the water will get absorbed in 1 hr. Then, can start making polis.

Variations:

If you dont want cashew, can substitute with til seeds which gives a special flavor always.

Instead of vellam, you can even add sugar or as usual 50/50.

Dont throw the water of cooked channa dal; can be prepared to make rasam. Cooked channa dal's water will always tastes great to make rasam which is my mother's suggestion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my Marathi friend makes puran poli this way.

channa dal 1 cup
    vellam 1 cup
    cardamom powder 1 tsp

Cook dal and grind with the other items without any water. Start preparing puran polis. There is no coconut here and hence, it will come for a longer time.

Alteration:

Instead of channa dal, one can prepare with thoor dal too or substitute in equal ratio. Though have not tried, but heard that this is called mangalore poli. Any idea, CI or anyone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrot poli:

grated carrot 1 cup
    coconut grated 4 to 5 tbsp
    cardamom powder 1 tsp
    roasted gram flour(pottukadalai) 1/4 cup
    ghee 3 tsp
    sugar 3/4 cup to 1 cup

Heat ghee, add carrot and when it is half done, add coconut, cardamom powder & roasted gram with sugar. Stir them well till it is thick. Pooranam is ready.

Variations:

In the place of carrot, can substitute with pumpkin or take carrot 1/2 cup, yellow pumpkin 1/4 cup & beet 1/4 cup.

People those who love sweet potato, can also add a quarter portion. In that case, omit beet & carrot since sweet potato goes well with pumpkin only.

Senior Member Regular Hubber MysoreHudugi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R,
    Congratulations. You certainly are a devoted hubber. I don't get time to try out all the recipes now. (You know the reason) I will certainly try them out and let you know the results.

I don't exactly know the recipe for mangalore poli. But there are some variations of poli in karnataka.

1. Pottukadalai poli.
    Just powder the pottukadalai and mix it with required amount of powdered sugar and cardamom. Use a little ghee or warm milk to make balls of the pooranam and proceed as usual. This is a very light poli.

2. Sheera poli
    Make sheera or kesari as you call in tamil nadu without adding nuts or raisins. Make the balls of these for poorananm. It tastes good but cannot be kept for long.

I will post other variations when I find time. There is one with ricotta cheese and nuts which is very yummy that I learnt from a gujarathi friend's mom.

More later,
    CI.
    People can give you recipies, but cannot make you a great chef. It is you who can make the difference using your own creativity!!

Post Thanks / Like
    koa poli:

sweetless koa 1/2 cup
    dry fruits like cashew, pista and badham 2 tbsp each
    coconut 2 tbsp optl.
    raisins optl.
    sugar 1 cup or depends on yr sweetness.

Grate koa and remove the skins of the nuts. Grind all of them nicely and if it is not thick, as usual, cook on the stove till they are thick.

Variation:

In the place of sweetless koa, you can add sweet koa and omit sugar. Can even add milk powder in the place of koa, but have not tried personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, CI you are really fast inspite of yr busy schedule.

You tempted me..but, find yr time and share us that yummy recipe.

Thanks n bye.

Senior Member Regular Hubber MysoreHudugi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R,
    I checked the cookery book by Mallika Badrinath for Mangalore poli. It uses chana dal only. She has one more recipe which uses toor dal. I will post it if you want. I have not tried it though.

Ricotta cheese pooranam:

After reading all the previous posts, it is similar to your koa pooranam. Difference is the use of ricotta cheese and dry milk powder.

Ricotta cheese - 1 container
    Sugar - measured in the same container
    Butter - a small piece
    Nuts powdered - measured in the container - 1 (I have added badam and pista in equal quantities)
    non fat dry milk powder small packets - 4
    cardamom

Melt butter in a non-stick pan and add ricotta cheese. Keep stirring till most of the water is evaporated. Add sugar and keep stirring till you get the ball consistency (almost pooranam consistency) add powdered nuts and mix well. Turn off the fire. After about 10 minutes or so, add milk powder, cardamom and mix well. You should be able to make balls without problem at this stage. If not put it in microwave and check every 2 minutes. (You can do the whole thing in microwave itself. It is much faster and you don't have to stir so often)

Make the poli as usual. I liked the filling so much that I have even stuffed karigadabu (don't know what it is called in places other than karnataka - I guess karjikayi or karanji, I am not sure) and deep fried it. It tastes very good. This recipe was not for poli at all. It was for making kachoris. I tried for poli since I did not want to make a deep fried dish that day and it came out very good.

Alterations: If you don't mind deep frying and no time to make kachori, fill it in spring roll sheet and make rolls and fry it. That comes out pretty good too.

CI.
    People can give you recipies, but cannot make you a great chef. It is you who can make the difference using your own creativity!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.. a parade of poli poornam recipes.. Great!
    I have a small tip to share.I learnt this from my aunt.

Add a pinch of kesari powder/food colour to the outer dough.It gives a beautiful colour to the poli.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, sowmya for the tip.

And, CI, that is good to see yr recipe. Being here, it could be difficult to find koa for some people; those can substitute with ricotta cheese.

Thank you so much.

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R,
    Nice that u crossed 100. Congrats!

Lots of intrestings topics going on...don't have much time to spend

Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast