Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: SUN TV & Other Recipe Collections

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Kavitha,

Yes, raw pappaya is available; Here, in NJ, I use to buy from Patel brothers. It is just 69 cents or something per pound!

Frankly speaking, I had one experience. Luckily, it was minor. My mother said that if you are not sure about cleaning ellu, better, dont put it. Instead, can add jeera which is harmless. Sieving the flour is also necessary. Some people also suggests to poke it with a pin.

So, for the last 5 yrs, no explosion and everyone is safe(kidding).And, also I stopped using ellu. On the safer side, I always keep a plate to close the oil while frying them in oil. In this way, you will be totally safe.

Bye.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Sowmya, Yaan petra enbam(?!) perugam ivvayagam. Actually, I saw pappaya basundi too. But, have not tried them. So, thought of sharing the tested ones alone.

You know something; not only for olan, for kurmas or gravies, if you add coconut milk instead of coconut, it gives a spl taste to the entire gravy which noticed in a recent get together. You dont have to add the said qty, just quarter cup in the place of 1 or 3/4 cup.

But, tinned ones are somehow not fresh like our fresh coconut. So, atleast, during parties time, we can serve tinned ones and for us, let us nourish with FRESH COCONUT!! Just teasing..

Bye.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R,
    I can't believe u posted so many recipies already..I have to say Wow!!
    Ur speed is amazing..Looking forward to seedai recipe..am planning to try ot this week...Also if its not much of a bother can u post for kozhukattai also?Whenever i make, the outer shell is coming out separately from the poornam..Thanks

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sowmya, R,

WE always make olan with coconut milk. i didnt know that there's another version for olan without coconut milk. thats really interesting. we make olan with vanpayar(red chori dal), kumbalanga (white pumpkin ?), long brinjals and yellow pumpkin.

Sowmya, i"ll psot the aval recepie in palakkad thread tomorrow

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    also i use maggi coconut powder nowadays as its more convenient than canned coconut milk and it doesnt taste bad also....and ofcourse, as R said, not as good as fresh one
    Anju

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R,
    Thanks for the tip on using coconut milk...

Anju
    Waiting for your aval recipe... and meanwhile please do post your olan recipe as well.Please check your pm... I have a doubt

Kavitha
    I bought the raw papaya from shoprite/pricerite.Do yoy have one close to your place?

Regards
    Sowmya

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello friends,

I have already posted wheat rava usili recipe under SUN TV recipes collection.

Based on the same method, if you substitute cooked sevai or cooked idly(pieces) in the place of wheat rava, the taste is coming out great & totally different too which my cousin tried recently and I tasted the same.

So, thought of sharing with you all.

Thanks and Bye.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    R just searched from the first page but cudn't find the wheat rava usili..I don't know if i missed it..Can u tell me the page number..

Thanx

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R,
    Thanks for your reply. I live in Wisconsin. I haven't heard those shops to papaya. But i search in chinese stores. Regarding seedai,u cover the frying pan while seedais are cooking? Is it safe? Won't there be any fire hazzard? Pls clear my doubt.

Hello Sowmiya,
    I don't have those shops in my place. Thanks for your reply. I will search for raw papaya near my place.
    Never argue with a fool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry gvb, I was thinking that I already posted wheat rava usili. Checked today and it was not there..anyways, will post it later..

BTW, will post the recipe for kozhukattai now. Abt seedai recipes, will post them in a couple of days as my son is having field trip; so, I am totally occupied with him.

I am posting the kozhukattai maavu for you. Let me know whether you want the poornam recipes or not. I usually make ellu pooranam, thengai pooranam, kadala paruppu poornam and for kaaram, urad kozhukattai for chathurthi.

Dough for kozhukattai:

Sieved rice flour 1 cup
    boiled water 1 cup
    sesame oil 1/2 sp.
    salt 2 pinches

If you are comfortable, can use vanali itself. Otherwise, use mild greased non stick vessel so that it will not stick at the bottom and easy to stir.

Boil the water in the vessel. The boiled bubbles should be all over the water and also at the center which is very important.

Once the water starts boiling, add the oil, salt and 2 pinches of flour, stir and add the entire flour; switch off and start mixing well. Once it comes like a ball, you can notice the slight color change of the dough(cooked rice dough). Make sure that there are no lumps.

Cover it with wet tissue towel and close it with a lid in case, if you are making pooranam so that it will not get dry.

Keep quarter or half cup of boiled water ready just in case, if you need more.

The steaming time for kozhukattai is 5 to 10 mts. Only way to check is it will look shiny and it will not stick to yr hands.

Some points:

People those who are experienced will keep the stove sim and start stirring without sticking at the bottom. Either way, it is upto you to choose.

If you are preparing kozhukattai from the rice, then, you might be needing more water.

You said that yr outer layer is coming separately from pooranam. Maybe the poornam qty should be higher or take outer layer little more than the poornam size.

Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast