Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long has this been in the refrigerator?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How long has this been in the refrigerator?

I don't like refrigerating cooked foods for more than 48 hours. Some of my friends keep cooked foods in the refrigerator/freezer for over a week! But now, under some circumstances I cannot cook everyday. So I would like to cook big quantities when I get time, and refrigerate for later. I would like to know how long we can refrigerate: Idlies, Idli/dosa batter, coconut chutney, Noolputtu/idiyappam, Rice etc... Would be grateful if I get a list of all indian cooked foods that can be refrigerated, something like this
    http://www.pastrywiz.com/storage/refridgerated.htm

Please share your experiences in refrigerating foods. What works best for you? Thanks a lot.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi RedPepper,
    I guess some time last month i had a big gathering.. for about 100-150 ppl.. where i had made idly.... well like everybody i overdid it.. and had about 60 idlies left out.... So wat i did was , i had packed 8 idlies in each of the ziploc bags.. and tossed in freezer of my fridge... I was using those idlies till the end of september... Well when you microwave the idlies for about 1-2 minutes they turn very fresh and super soft...
    but i am not sure if it is feasible to freeze chutney.. bec oz once you thaw them you cannot reuse them.. the key to sucessful freezing is.. that always store them as small packets that can be used for one time rather than big junks....
    One more important thing that is used in our household is parupu... we can make bulk amount of parupu and then freeze it in small packets.. so when you cannot cook.. just take apacket and make rasam....and rice with apalam.. its very simple....
    well these are the tips i know.. will let you know if anything else comes to my mind.....
    hoping all this helped you
    kritica

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Redpepper,

like Kritica I too tend to freeze food stuff quite a bit. Specially if I am travelling, I freeze enough food, sometimes even for a week so that my hubby doesn't have to cook! I do make enough dal and freeze it, so I can use it without having to cook tiny amounts for the two of us each time. I also grate coconut and freeze it so I don't have to grate coconut each time I look for a tiny bit.

I make different variety rice and pack them in small boxes, just one portion each and freeze them. Once I take food out of the freezer then I don't put it back in. I also cook vegetables and freeze them.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

i too have tried freezing idlies. i have seen my aunt freezing all kinds of food. she works full time and she doesnt have too much time to cook. she freezes idlies, chutneys, sambar, chicken curry, biriyani etc. personnaly, i dont prefer to freeze non veg. if left over idlies are there, as kritica said , i freeze it in ziplock freezer bags. i get it for lunch some times. Also another thing i freeze is ginger - garlic paste. thats really handy for me.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, i freeze veg cutlets. i make the cutlet and freeze it in ziplock bags and fry it whenever required

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have made extra Parupu , sambhar ,rasam ,stored them in air tight ziploc boxes for use all week long(just in the fridge).They didnt usify .
    Am not sure if you can heat them and then put it back into the refrigerator..just take out a small quantity which you will utilize and heat it in the MW.They should be ok.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Freezing dal is a good idea. Thank you.
    How long can I freeze/refrigerate coconut based gravies?
    Heard that paruppu vada is good for freezing. Have anyone tried it?
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey redpepper,
    you could also freeze potato.. i have tried it a few times... well wat i do is if i have any sambhar or rasam or avial frozen at night i take it out from freezer and put it in the fridge.. so wat happens it taht... it is thawed but doesnot get spoiled... well i hope this helps

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing this thread I too tried to freeze cooked food for the first time. I put away a small amount of cooked toor dal in the freezer. But used it up within 3-4 days. How long can u freeze cooked dal?
    I have also put a few idlis (in a ziplock bag) in the freezer. Do I need to defrost it in the microwave or outside before heating it or do I just micro it on high for 1-2 mins?
    Sometimes I do freeze grated coconut but use it up within a week. How long can u freeze grated coconut without losing on it taste?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    tomato,
    i take the frozen idlys for lunch some times, so i just keep it outside till lunch time and then sprinkle some water and microwave it. i buy frozen grated coconut from which comes from kerala which will be atleast 2 months old. i am sure it"ll stay for a month or 2, but it doesnt have the taste of fresh coconut for sure..i really feel that when i make coconut chutneys..

Anju

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast