Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150
Results 1,491 to 1,494 of 1494

Thread: A shame

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://news.in.msn.com/national/arti...mentid=3526470

Another bueracrat's asingam

Is it true that IAS officers cannot be tried in court?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a shame indeed!! As if whatever has been going on in AP wasn't enough!!

http://www.dinamalar.com/topnewsdetail.asp?News_id=1684

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    'found this writeup in a blog- I presume/hope it was all written with a sarcastic note!

Burning Cars And Stupid People
    December 09, 2009 By: amreekandesi Categories: DesiPundit, Saadi Delhi

My name is Kalpana. A weird incident happened earlier this week as i was going home after getting my hair done. I saw a car burning on the road, and i think there was someone inside.

I have seen a lot in my years on Delhi roads, but nothing comes close to this one. Not even the time when i saw four masked men forcibly push a young girl into their Honda Civic (nice car, but i wouldn’t be caught dead in one. Everybody seems to own one these days), but didn’t raise an alarm since i had to leave for the States that night, and didn’t want any complications.

It had been a long week. The husband had been making preparations for an upcoming business trip. I had been busy with the kids, the social circuit, and all the shaadis. Damn November. I attended 5 weddings Monday night and still ended up missing a couple.

Anyways…yesterday the hubby had to go to get his UK visa stamped, and picked me up on the way back. As we were traveling on this busy South Delhi road, i noticed this car that had seemed to erupt in flames all of a sudden. I think there was a couple inside the car, and could see them struggling to get out of the car.

I saw the car behind them stop, and the man inside rushed to their rescue. He tried opening the door of the still burning car with little success. Then he started waving others to stop. Why, i wanted to ask him? You don’t care for your life, and want others too to get their hands burnt (awesome pun..eh? I am convent educated, you know) trying to save a stranger.

Besides, no good ever comes out of being a good Samaritan in these modern times. The police will harass you. You will have to make a million court visits. Anyway, nothing can change fate. If they were destined to be saved then they would have been saved. Why should i waste half an hour of my life over a meaningless cause?

Thankfully this car was in the left lane, or traffic would have gotten totally messed up. You know how Delhi traffic is….one car breaks down and the domino effect ripples down to all surrounding areas resulting in long jams. The honking. The cursing. The cutting in and out of traffic. I take utmost care to be a responsible car owner – my driver has strict instructions not to use the horn more than fifty times in an hour.

Back to the burning car. As we were passing the car, i noticed Mr Braveheart managed to pull the husband out of the car and was trying to help the woman. He didn’t seem to be getting anywhere, but only getting severely burnt himself. Meanwhile nobody else bothered to stop, though traffic had considerably slowed down. Who said Delhi doesn’t care? Everybody’s eyes were focused only on that single car. What’s so bad if people were sensible enough not to endanger their own lives and add to the already existing problems.

I am famous in the circuit as being a strong willed, brave soul. The husband though, is a weakling. He actually considered stopping and helping, but i told the driver not to even think about it. Emotions! Another word for dumbness, i tell you.

Later on they said in news reports that the man got saved but the woman died. Apparently the fire was so intense that her burnt body melted into the car seat. Horrifying!

Now they say that Delhi didn’t care to help. Why should Delhi care? There are so many people in the city. If Delhi started stopping for every minor incident, then nothing will ever get done.

People come and People go. Who the hell cares!

(Author’s note: Kalpana is just a fictional character. Any resemblance to a living person is a mere, and rather startling, coincidence)

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!